Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #21

Hard to believe that's an '89. Condition looks great. Nice find. Congratulations.

Tuckerdog1
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #22

I love your RV. Wish I could find one like it too. My kids really want a "driving camper" for some reason.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #23

Looks great a well kept. Like you said low miles isn't always your friend but some mechanical checks and a little maintenance can insure she has a lot of life to come. One thing I would suggest is to check tires very carefully for cracks in tread and born date. I had a 92 gulfstream that had great looking Michelins on it and lost 2 in a period of 10 miles of each other. Well worth the little bit of extra expense for the feeling of safety it gives you. Interior looks like new. hope it gives your family many years of fun and memories
Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #24

thanks everybody, she really is clean through out, and we enjoy the layout as well. we still had some empty storage spots, and we were supplied for a 7 day trip.

I have found the manual for the charge sentinel in my unit, electrical work is not favorite but I'll see what I can figure out. I noticed the charging light is out when plugged in to shore power, haven't checked with the generator yet. didn't get to the fridge today either, its on the list.

I plan on replacing the tires before september(big road trip), visually they're ok, but I think the fronts are older.
MacZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #25

so did some trouble shooting today.

moved burner shroud on the fridge to see how it looked, there was some rust dust sitting on the bottom. but as I watched it ignited no problem every time. so I vacuumed then blew out the whole area.

so electrical. tested house battery, no power hooked up and the battery sitting at 13.3v, with shore power plugged in it's 13.5v. 14v at the panel when plugged into shore power. makes me think that it does not stop charging when full and is over charging the battery over long term plug and park situations. I read through the previous owners notes again, since 2005 this is the fourth coach battery. last replacement was aug 2015. I had the battery sitting with no power hooked up at 13.3v then plugged in and it went to 13.5v. I would think the system would know not to charge a 12v battery sitting at 13.3v, and yet when I plug it in it seems to start charging.

for over charging the manual says to "replace the printed circuit board", if that doesn't work then maybe the scr (silicone controlled rectifier) might be to blame.

so that's where I'm at so far. I will try find a circuit board and scr and see if they are available and what they cost.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #26

the newer convertors have smart charging technology but I am not sure where the cutoff point for charging would be ... I know 13.5 wouldn't be outrageous .... others I am sure might chime in on this as although I work on cars a lot mostly I just plug my camper in and use it so I haven't checked amount of charge. I do know from previous experience with a motorhome and a good house battery , it wont last a full night if its cold and the furnace runs a lot ... that blower eats a lot of amps up on a battery
Old 04-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #27

Nothing wrong with that. My Aunt and Uncle have a similar setup and they love it !!!
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #28

Paintinfool I will keep an eye on it, I have no experience and I don't want to imagine problems to throw money at. the one thing that keeps me suspicious is 4 coach batteries in 10 years, of course poor quality and poor maintenance/use could cause that. so I will wait, watch and test for now. we will probably get as high a Ah battery as we can fit into it's location before our big trip, I think it's around 100 or 110 that I've found so far. Ideally I dont want to run it down more than 50%, that just may not be feasible at certain times of year. meanwhile I will continue to swap out every bulb I can get to with the LEDs.

ya Adaigle we really like the units layout and over all "feel" inside, and the camp setup worked well for us. after the rain I added a 14x16 tarp to extend the awning coverage and reach the site table, than a ratty 10x10 was set up for sitting at the fire.

stuff to get
some kind of step for spots where the one step on the mh isnt enough
4 scissor jacks for camped stability
2 double sided mattress toppers (summer/winter)
wireless b/u camera
tires before september
battery

my mechanic buddy came by and checked it out yesterday, we will do a full tune up before too long
Old 06-11-2016, 12:40 AM   #29

So I have done a couple things on the list.

new battery (trojan t 1275 150ah)
external battery charger for now, uses 14.4v 25a.alot better than house charger. two 40w solar panels
2 swing down step supports for either end
2 stabilizer jacks for back end
wireless back up camera (that was a bit tricky with fiberglass body)
cargo rack and bike rack

so we had her out that first 6 nights at a local lake, small fridge issue a vacuum cleaner fixed.
then 2 nights at a different local lake. Rolley Lake, didn't really like it that much. had battery issues.

bought the new battery and plug in charger for a short term fix. contacted Trojan and asked them if they knew of any charger on the market that met trojan charging recommendations. they suggested I contact xantrax aboutthe truechrge2 20a and asking about a custom algorithm. that sounds cheap. I havn't yet, but I will call them and look into it.

installed 1lb! camera using a sandwich of 1x4 pvc pieces on either side of the rv body shell. using bolt and washer to fasten, and pro flex. counter sunk bolt washers in pvc board. placed in position of rear center running light. its works very well and has sound when someone is back there talking to me.

just came back from more of a road test trip for her. 1290 km/801.5m. up some good hills as well, those familiar with the route I think will recognize that.

out the #1 to hope. started mileage measurement there. take #1 north to #97 up to just before Williams Lake(one night on roadside). Horsefly Provincial Park, spent 1 night. back south down to Juniper Beach Provincial Park for 3 nights. there was power/water hook up, which was nice as it was very hot when we pulled in. the house ac ran for 20hrs a day for 3 days. not a private campground, but it wasn't busy. it also has trains on both sides of campground, one above on other side of the river, and another that you cross the tracks as you come in. so our 2yo son was loving the site very much, you could watch the trains from the dinette or back room. then we dropped down to just outside Merritt, Monck Provincial Park. very nice sites here, no hook ups. but campsite view was nice.

we have already reserved our next trip in july. Monck park again for 3 nights and then down to Manning park.

so numbers from the road trip, started/finished fuel measurement in Hope, BC.

totals
1026 km/ 637m
282l/74.5 usgal
avg. 27.45l/100km/ 8.57 mpg
$0.34/km, $0.55/m
fuel cost $537.67
campsites and sani's $175.5

left house full of water (kind of a test to see the difference), and we knew we were on the road for a night. so worst mileage was from hope to cache creek fully loaded, 5.93 mpg. the best was leaving Monck taking wrong (north instead of south, don't ask)exit for uphill 26 km and back down again detour, then #5 to Hope. 10.28 mpg. thats doing 90-100kph/50-55mph up those hills. no problem with no water. loaded I was doing 75-90kph/45-50 mph. power is pretty good, and I have no complaints. I cruise at 90 loaded and 100 empty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160406_112833_resized.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	24757
Gold Creek campground, aloutte lake

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160511_123025_resized.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	24758
rearview camera