Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Flat tow or car trailer

I'm new to this forum and apologize if a thread already exists on this subject. Going to take delivery in about 2 weeks of 2015 Seneca HJ. Have a GMC Acadia to tow. Can't decide between an aluminum car trailer or flat tow. What are the issues? Mostly travel in Montana where trailer space is not an issue.
Abaco Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco Boat View Post
I'm new to this forum and apologize if a thread already exists on this subject. Going to take delivery in about 2 weeks of 2015 Seneca HJ. Have a GMC Acadia to tow. Can't decide between an aluminum car trailer or flat tow. What are the issues? Mostly travel in Montana where trailer space is not an issue.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new Seneca.

This topic has been recently discussed in this forum. Use the search function and see if your answer is there. But, I'm sure there will be folks responding here to your question very soon.

One issue seems to be the declining number of vehicles that can be flat towed. This leads to discussions of a trailer or a dolly for the 'toad.'
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #3

The factors are cost and labor. Cost of tow bar, face plate, and break system vs Dolly + storage . labor of putting car on dolly vs hooking up to the tow bar. Are you at the point that to save labor your will to spend money? These are all personal decisions only you can answer.
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #4

Towing guides show GMC Acadia to be towable 4 wheels down with either AWD or FWD. That's a simpler, more convenient tow solution. No trailers or dollies to store/push around.
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #5

Another factor is reversing. You can backup with a trailer, you can't with a car in flat tow.

With a trailer you also have to worry about another vehicle(trailer) to service and repair. In some places they will charge you extra to store the trailer while in a RV park.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #6

Towed initially with a tow dolly and found it to be a major PITA. Have to ratchet down the straps, crawl around underneath the car, etc.

With towing 4 down, I can hitch or unhitch the tow vehicle in less than 2 minutes. Would never go back...
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #7

What worked for me, and will not work for everyone was an aluminum car hauler. I have a Subaru Outback, and they can't be towed. I got lucky and found a used, but in fairly good condition trailer. The ramps attach to the front and act as rock guards. I can only tow 5,000 lb and the trailer and car come in at 4800 lbs. It's easy to drive the car onto and plenty of attachments to strap it down. Another plus, if I have to haul lumber, a riding lawn mower, etc. I have a trailer that will handle it. I also have a spot I can park it for $90 a year. Like I said, it works for me, every one has a works for them.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote