Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
Bluesky46 When you say you use the RVI Brake but because I'm towing 4800 lbs you would look for a different system why? I have received 2 estimates and one includes the RVI and the other is the Break Buddy Stealth. We will not be switching from one toad to another. Any thoughts and braking systems?

debra1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #12
RoadMaster All Terrain Sterling light weight tow bar, Roadmaster hardware, with the Invisibrake. All from CampingWorld, and the cost escapes me, visit them and I'm sure they have a deal. I would guess around $3000 total installed.

2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS with wife & 2 dogs
06 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD
Trippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #13
If you're not changing toads, I would go with one of the fixed aux brakes like the Invisibrake. We have an Evenbrake, and even though it works well, it doesn't fit well in our Explorer and can be quite finicky to get set as a result. We used all Roadmaster parts only because their customer support was so amazing. I completed the install myself, and they were so helpful during the process.
Brian, Mary, kids, beagle - Moose, and mutt - Maggie.
2012 Greyhawk 31FS
2013 Ford Explorer Toad
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #14
I use a Blue Ox Aventa 2 with the appropriate base plate, had the wiring kit installed, and in my case had to purchase a 10" hitch riser because the Ford Edge has the baseplate mounted at 26.5" above the ground (dealer said highest of any he has installed). The base plate, wiring and installation ran around $1200. I already owned the tow bar (about $700) and and RV1Brake2 (about $1100), so total about $3000 for all. If you are VERY handy you can save $400 plus by installing the base plate yourself, but it is a real pain on most newer cars.
So bottom line, about three grand in labor and material.
2012 Greyhawk 31DS
2012 Ford Edge Toad

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #15
Debra1967. I said that about the RV Brake 2 because most any vehicle you tow will have power brakes, and it takes a LOT of pressure on the pedal to effect any braking action on the vehicle in tow. My toad weighs 4,000# and I set myRV Brake for "full size" and "high" pressure and when I test this, about 35 mph, coasting, I feel only slight braking action on the toad. On the positive side, it is super easy to put in and take out of the toad, it's light weight and easy to store when not in use and it can easily be used on multiple towed vehicles. I'm not sorry I bought the RVi Brake 2 and think I will like it better if I ever find a smaller vehicle to tow. Have been on that hunt for over a year and someday will find something.

Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote