Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #1

flat tow setup?

We are newbies! Have a 2015 Redhawk 31xl and need advice on setting up our 2014 GMC Acadia for flat towing. What are the best tow bars and does anybody have advice on braking systems? I will be traveling with our 4 children ages 15,14,12 & 9 from Maryland to Colorado, Wyoming, & Montana for 6-8 weeks during the summer and the majority of the time my husband will be at home working.
I would like to be able to hook and unhook the toad the easiest way possible.

We live in Maryland so if anybody has a recommendation on a place to get all of this done, that would be great! Any cost "guesstimates?"

Any additional recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated!!!
debra1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #2

Give this link a try. I have been researching pretty much the same thing. There is a free down load under the 2014 tow list. You need to fill out some info like your buying but it doesn't ask for any payment info since it is free. After you submit your info another page will pop up, don't close it till you have gone down near the bottom and downloaded the info and saved it. Hope you find what you need, I did.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/wh...ind-an-rv.html
2JayBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #3

When we had the MHs I used a Blue Ox Adventa and a Brake Buddy, 10 min tops to get things hooked up once you get the sequence down. Most RV dealers will install the base plate as may some utility trailer sales places. Don't remember what I paid and I installed the base plate myself.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #4

What does the Acadia weigh? Your limit for towing is 5000 lbs.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #6

2014 GMC Acadia curb weight is 4,850 lbs
Old 01-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #7

Acadia FWD is 4656 and the AWD is 4850. This type info is all listed in the link I posted above.
2JayBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #8

We tow a Honda CR-V behind our Seneca. We use a Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain towbar and the Roadmaster Even Brake braking system. The CR-V is my daily driver, so I purchased a baseplate with removable brackets. It takes me about 10 minutes to get everything hooked up.

I liked the Even Brake for two reasons - I didn't have to cut into the Honda's wiring (and risk warranty issues if something goes wrong with the car), and the braking is proportional, meaning it senses how hard the RV is braking and applies a similar level of braking in the car. Some other systems have a single pressure setting.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #9

We use to flat tow a vehicle that had removable hitch stuff. The tow system was all Blue Ox. Hitch was the aluminum one... loved it, the brake system was proportional, and work very well.

We now tow a Dodge Caravan using a Acme tow dolly. Works well.

Steve
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #10

The all terrain tow bars are much easier to connect and worth the little extra cost. I agree with anav8OR, the Roadmaster Falcon is a good choice. I use the RVI Brake 2, but if I were towing a 4,800# Acadia I might look for something different.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #11

Bluesky46 When you say you use the RVI Brake but because I'm towing 4800 lbs you would look for a different system why? I have received 2 estimates and one includes the RVI and the other is the Break Buddy Stealth. We will not be switching from one toad to another. Any thoughts and braking systems?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #12

RoadMaster All Terrain Sterling light weight tow bar, Roadmaster hardware, with the Invisibrake. All from CampingWorld, and the cost escapes me, visit them and I'm sure they have a deal. I would guess around $3000 total installed.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #13

If you're not changing toads, I would go with one of the fixed aux brakes like the Invisibrake. We have an Evenbrake, and even though it works well, it doesn't fit well in our Explorer and can be quite finicky to get set as a result. We used all Roadmaster parts only because their customer support was so amazing. I completed the install myself, and they were so helpful during the process.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #14

I use a Blue Ox Aventa 2 with the appropriate base plate, had the wiring kit installed, and in my case had to purchase a 10" hitch riser because the Ford Edge has the baseplate mounted at 26.5" above the ground (dealer said highest of any he has installed). The base plate, wiring and installation ran around $1200. I already owned the tow bar (about $700) and and RV1Brake2 (about $1100), so total about $3000 for all. If you are VERY handy you can save $400 plus by installing the base plate yourself, but it is a real pain on most newer cars.
So bottom line, about three grand in labor and material.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #15

Debra1967. I said that about the RV Brake 2 because most any vehicle you tow will have power brakes, and it takes a LOT of pressure on the pedal to effect any braking action on the vehicle in tow. My toad weighs 4,000# and I set myRV Brake for "full size" and "high" pressure and when I test this, about 35 mph, coasting, I feel only slight braking action on the toad. On the positive side, it is super easy to put in and take out of the toad, it's light weight and easy to store when not in use and it can easily be used on multiple towed vehicles. I'm not sorry I bought the RVi Brake 2 and think I will like it better if I ever find a smaller vehicle to tow. Have been on that hunt for over a year and someday will find something.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote