Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2017, 07:16 PM   #21

Flat Towing

I have a '14 Redhawk flat towing my '15 Rubicon and I use blue OX and patriot and zero issues. Works great.

2014 Jayco Redhawk 31XL
Towing 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Old 02-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #22

Good thread to read. I just finished installing a Ready Brake with Blue Ox base plates on my 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Being a first time install, I figure I am all in about 6 or 7 hours and used my grandson for about 3 of that. I haven't got to hook it up and try it yet, but have high hopes. I also installed the breakaway system....talk about dirt simple. After getting quotes from 3 RV dealers, I saved about $2,000 to $2,500 by installing it myself (not ready brake....they were quoting other systems).

Can't say I would do this every weekend, but went much better than I anticipated.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:46 PM   #23

Having the NSA "Ready Brute Elite" towbar with the Bue Ox System.
Attached Thumbnails
Toad veh.jpg  

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #24

2016 31DS pulling 2016 Chevy Equinox. Blue OX and Patriot, works fine, no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0201.jpg  
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:42 PM   #25

Brakes on vehicles in tow, are required in most states. I question how well any of them would work in the even of a catastrophic connection failure and break away. BUT they make it legal to tow. I also worry about liability in the even of an accident where there are injuries, when they find out you were towing without the required brake system. I use the RVi2, and tow a Fiat 500. Brakes not required under 3,000# in my state. But I don't restrict my travels to this state.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky46 View Post
I question how well any of them would work in the event of a catastrophic connection failure and break away.
Regarding a breakaway situation - I use the Roadmaster Even Brake and test my breakaway switch before I set out on every trip to:
1. - make sure the switch still works when the "breakaway plug" is pulled out and;
2. - make sure the Even Brake unit responds properly to the breakaway command.

When the Even Brake receives a breakaway command it immediately jams on the brakes with full force. Since the toad's engine is "off" (making ABS inactive) I am certain it would immediately lock the brakes. I don't test it every travel day, just when we first set out if it is a multi-stop adventure. Short of having an actual breakaway, I guess this is the best I can do to ensure it would stop the toad if it ever came loose.

One time (on a previous toad) the breakaway switch did not work even though the plug was pulled during a test, dirt had built up inside the switch preventing it from working when the plug was pulled. So now after my trips I remove the plug and spray inside with contact cleaner and then re-lubricate the plug. Have not had any problems since. But I would not have known about this issue if I did not regularly test the setup.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #27

I think most of the auxiliary brake systems work quite well when set up properly. At least, when they are in good shape. As Robbyr said above, things can become less effective if they get buildup of dirt, road grit, maybe a loose connection, or just wear and tear. My particular toad, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, is reasonably heavy (4200 lbs) and has power brakes for a reason. But even without the power assist on the brakes, that Even Brake unit jams that pedal down pretty hard. It will stop the Jeep, even if it doesn't have the force to lock up the wheels.

I installed the whole setup myself. I just took my time and avoided taking shortcuts. All wire connections I could reach were soldered connections with double shrink wrap insulation, so they won't come loose. And I ran a charge wire from the 7 pin connector, through the umbilical cord, and through the engine compartment of the Jeep to the battery, with both a fuse and a circuit breaker. Battery was new less than a year ago, and I don't want battery problems when I arrive at my destination. The whole thing was installed with the ultimate in reliability in mind. I get limited vacation time, as I still work full time, and don't want to spend any more of it than necessary chasing down and solving problems on the road. I have to say these RV aftermarket companies do a pretty good job of designing and manufacturing the towing accessories they sell.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #28

Don't know the weight rating of your hitch or the engine you have in the motorhome but I have the Redhawk which has only a 5K hitch and 6.8L gas engine. I have a Ford F250 diesel and that is too heavy to tow even on a dolly. I think the Dodge and Ford have similar weights. I can tell you from many years of towing 5th wheels before getting the Redhawk with a gasoline engine in the motorhome your towing strength will be weak especially on inclines when towing a fairly heavy vehicle. I tow a Mitsubishi behind the Redhawk on a dolly which has a tow weight of approx. 3100 lbs which presents no problem. I would love to take my F250 but even with a larger capacity hitch the engine is simply underpowered for torque as compared to a diesel engine.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote