Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #1
Flat Towing

I have a 2015 Jayco Greyhawk and wanting a flat tow vehicle I have a 2016 Dodge Ram Crew cab would it be to big/ heavy to tow with my class C?

Huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
Somewhere inside your Greyhawk is a rating sheet. Probably stuck to the inside of a kitchen cabinet door, or bathroom cabinet door. It has weight values on it. The "dry" weight, or unladen weight of your Greyhawk, plus the people and all the things you put inside it, including all water and holding tank weight (calculated at about 9 lbs per gallon), cannot exceed the GVWR figure. There is likely also a GCWR figure. Subtract the GVWR from GCWR, and that is the max weight you can tow. There is a sticker inside the door jamb of your Dodge with a vehicle weight. That, plus anything you plan to carry in the pickup, is the number to compare to the max tow weight. If the truck is too heavy, I'd suggest something lighter to tow.

2006 Jayco Seneca 34SS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
Dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
In a single word yes, the biggest factor is braking ability. As a practicle matter if your tow vehicle outbweights your toad by a thousand pounds the toad is not going to push your around, also if flat towing there is no weight penalty and even if you dolly tow you are looking at less than 150 pounds.
Neil & Karol 2015 Seneca HJ
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote