Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #1

Flat towing

I have a greyhawk I will be towing a crv behind it some people say they don't use the ivisabrake system on the crv and just use the motorhome brakes alone what is everybody's thoughts about that ??
Karl06greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:16 AM   #2

I too have a Greyhawk flat towing a CRV also. As heavy as a Greyhawk is it cannot stop on a dime, pulling and stopping an extra 3.5 to 4000lb behind you is alot of weight, and sometimes I may put extra things in there until I get to my destination, means more weight. Hope this helps.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
msmith9386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #3
SJD

You might want to check the laws in your state or those you will be traveling to. Many states require brakes on towed vehicles over a certain weight. A simple solution is the NSA Ready Brute, a surge type braking system. I used it when I towed a Wrangler behind a Coachmen Concord Class C.
SJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #4

Many places also require by a law a means of breaking the towed vehicle should it break loose from the motorhome. It may not be that you will use it much, but that it is required by law.

Check with your state laws, and don't forget to check the states you plan on travelling to/through as well.
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoyle View Post
Many places also require by a law a means of breaking the towed vehicle should it break loose from the motorhome. It may not be that you will use it much, but that it is required by law.

Check with your state laws, and don't forget to check the states you plan on travelling to/through as well.
I agree, like those required on a pull behind, the break away cable hook up

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
msmith9386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #6

I would always use an auxiliary braking system in my toad, regardless of what the law says. Not only does it help with normal braking, but it is connected to an electrical breakaway system so the toad comes to a stop in the case that it becomes detached from the motorhome. That way, it doesn't careen across six lanes of interstate traffic and kill a random family of innocents traveling the other way in their minivan. A good plaintiff attorney will take everything you own, not to mention how you would feel about such a preventable "accident".
Old 05-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #7

From what I've read Arkansas is the only state hat doesn't require an auxiliary brake system. Most states require it over 3,000lbs. I live in NY, our law is anything over 1,000lbs. Just for my own piece of mind I wouldn't tow my Wrangler without it.