Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #1

Flow thru water heater fix

I have been fighting the Girard flow thru water heater for 3 years. When It works It works great. Unfortunately it often doesn't work. No flame, no hot water. After several conversations with their tech support which has been great I think I found the problem. The fan wasn't coming on that draws air thru the heater. I found out early this year that there was power to it, 12 volt, but the fan didn't come on. The ground wire goes to one of two blocks of 4 grounds that are rivited to the left side of the heater. Reaching in and moving the ground plate up and down seemed to fix it for a while.

When I got home this spring I decided that ground plate needed to be anchored better. Taking the unit half apart I found both ground plates only had 1 rivet, but had 2 holes for rivets. Replaced the existing rivets, and put in one in the other hole. Aha I said, this should fix my problem once and for all. Put it all back together, whew, and guess what? Still didn't work unless I reached in and wiggled the ground wire where it plugs into the ground block.

Man I was about ready to rip the whole thing out, but instead I unplugged the ground wire, and cut off the rubber insulation covering it. I found, see pic, that the part that should have been bars wire, arrow on pic, still had the insulation on it with @ 1/8 " of bare wire sticking out. That's the part that would make contact for a while and let the fan run. So I cut it off and crimped on a new crimp on and did it correctly. So far the unit has never failed, yet. How many more are barely making contact???
Attached Thumbnails
Bad crimp.jpg  
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #2

Yeppirs, I've seen a few insulation crimps in my experience as an electronics tech. Very hard to nail down! Nice going in having the persistence to fix it.