Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #1

Ford Focus Toad Question

I recently bought a new Ford Focus to use as a toad behind our 2004 Greyhawk. It has the automatic transmission, which requires that the negative battery cable be removed when in tow. Thus, no power to 12v adapter or to lights.

I'm wondering how others have solved the "no power to run an auxiliary braking system or rear lights" problem. I'm looking at the Blue Ox Patriot for an auxiliary brake, as it does have an internal battery. But that battery appears to only run for a couple of hours. I'm wondering if a battery booster would work for the 12v power (and I'd have a jumper and air compressor)?

Thanks!

Martin
Wulfgar878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #2

Not trying to convince you to go with another company, but talk to Roadmaster. I just went through all these questions with a new Ford Explorer. They were able to tell me exactly what parts I needed, which wiring diagrams to use, even the color of the wire I was trying to trace on the Explorer. They were extremely helpful and happily answered my questions over many phone calls. Not sure what they will suggest for the braking system, but the lights aren't a problem. They get their power from the motorhome.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #3

For an update, we went with the Blue Ox Patriot after getting the base plates installed on the Focus back in June. My general perception is that it works, but that it's very fussy with the setup. I finally bought the aftermarket Blue Ox adapter that velcros onto the unit so it has more area to push against the seat (a $49.95 ripoff for a piece of molded plastic), and now setup is relatively easy. I turned the gain down to 4, and the brakes aren't overly sensitive.

Towing perception for the Focus is that I can tell it's back there, in terms of acceleration (or lack thereof). It tracks fine. Gas mileage impact is noticeable, going from 7.5 to 6.2.
Wulfgar878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfgar878 View Post
I'm wondering how others have solved the "no power to run an auxiliary braking system or rear lights" problem...

Martin
Even though this was not a problem for me, I installed this taillight kit (http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiri...er/RM-155.html) which adds taillights which are totally independent from the vehicles electric system and connect directly to the tow vehicle with a flat 4 connector. The only requirement is that you have enough space under the red taillight lens to add the new bulb.

It has worked great for me!
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote