Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #1

Ford v-10

Hi, My wife and I am looking at purchasing a motorhome down the road are wondering on the gas engine, fords v-10. We presently r.v with a jayco 5th wheel and a 2005 ford 6.0 of which I had a extended ford warranty on, best money spent. We do plan to tow maybe something like a Honda crv, I guess I worried do I have enough juice. Thank you for your helpful responses.
junatuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #2

We just purchased a 2014 Jayco Greyhawk that comes on the 2013 Ford E-450 with the V10. We pull a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with no problems.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #3

I have been impressed with the Ford V10 and transmission (allison?). Our 31FS drives like a 15 passenger van. I would say the power is there for you, but it loves gasoline...
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #4

I have had reasonably good results. On a way back from Corvallis OR it burned about 27 gallons which is about 11 MPG without the Tahoe in tow. The key is to keep my foot out of it. I did have an additional 55 gallon gasoline tank installed which saved me from purchasing outrageously expensive fuel in the middle of nowhere. With the Tahoe in tow it burns significantly more fuel over passes. Again the same rule applies. If I keep my foot out of it then I get much better economy. I installed a Scanguage II which I highly recommend because the gauge pack from Jayco is very minimal.
New setup:
Old 10-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #5

We tow a 2002 Jeep wrangler nearly every time we travel. The Honda CRV curb weight of approx 3400-3500 lbs is very similar in weight to our jeep. The only time we know the jeep is back there is by using the backup camera. Two things:
1) You will notice an increase in gas usage. However the biggest drain on our gas mileage is my lead foot!!
2) I recommend you research and invest in a tire pressure monitor system. there's a lot that can go wrong with a blown tire on a toad. It can do a tremendous amount of damage before you a aware.

For infomational purposes only: We have the Pressure Pro TPMS. We purchased it because that's what our dealer suggested and installed and set it before our PDI walk through.

Best of luck to you!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave&Lucky View Post
We tow a 2002 Jeep wrangler nearly every time we travel. The Honda CRV curb weight of approx 3400-3500 lbs is very similar in weight to our jeep. The only time we know the jeep is back there is by using the backup camera. Two things:
1) You will notice an increase in gas usage. However the biggest drain on our gas mileage is my lead foot!!
2) I recommend you research and invest in a tire pressure monitor system. there's a lot that can go wrong with a blown tire on a toad. It can do a tremendous amount of damage before you a aware.
For infomational purposes only: We have the Pressure Pro TPMS. We purchased it because that's what our dealer suggested and installed and set it before our PDI walk through.

Best of luck to you!
How much does that TPMS system cost? Does it use the factory sensors?
New setup:
Old 10-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #7

X2 on the Scan Gauge II, I wish some technology info systems would find their way into E450 chasis without having to purchase it seperate. I think your foot is the culprit for wasting fuel as well. Driving it conservatively you can get acceptable mileage for such a heavy rig..
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #8

The sad thing is Ford offers it on the E-450 including a complete digital gauge pack with, distance to empty, and other useful information. I suspect that the electronic display in the Ford system is similar to the one in my old Chevrolet Silverado that included transmission temperature, coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, charging voltage, etc. The data is on the CAN bus but since we have only the very basic gauge pack it is impossible to get at that data without an external readout. I mounted the Scanguage II at the top of the windshield right next to the A pillar where I routed the wire down to the OBDII port. It hides the wiring very nicely. Even my DW barely noticed the gauge but she didn't even see the wire. I wish Scanguage had automatic DTE (Distance To Empty) but you need to tell it every time you fill up and how many gallons you filled. In my case because I have an auxiliary fuel tank that severely complicates my situation because I won't know how much is transferring between tanks.
New setup: