Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2014, 05:08 AM   #1

Freightliner Fog Lights

Orders the brackets, wire harness, toggle switch and lights from my Freightliner dealer. They should be in early next week.

I was all set to install aftermarket lights because I couldn't find anything online. Then I called the dealer and what cha know they have a plug and play solution.
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #2

$$$
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #3

What's included in the kit? Part number? $?
Thanks
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #4

Mounting Brackets (A06-39688-000) 2 @ $33.90
Lamp Assemblies (A06-75741-000) 2 @ $82.53
Wiring Harness (A06-47789-022) 1 @ $62.32
Rocker Switch (A06-37217-005) 1 @ $26.32

It's all OEM with a 1-year warranty. Plug and play. No splicing and dicing.

Picking up the parts today. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #5

I got the fog lights installed this weekend. It took a couple hours to install the brackets, wiring harness, switch and lights. Then I had to take it to Freightliner to have them program the smart switch. They're working like a charm.

First, I installed the switch in the dash. To do this you must remove the dash frame and panel, remove the knob from the air brake actuator and unplug the switches. Then you can take the aluminum panel to your workbench and add a rectangular whole for the Fog Light switch.

Second, you find an available smart switch connector in the dash. Mine were tucked up to the left of the left-center air vent. You can get easier access by unscrewing the instrument cluster and sitting it on the dash.

Third, plug all the switch back in and re-install the instrument panel, switch panel, air brake actuator know and dash frame.

You're done in the cab.

Fourth, you install brackets and lights in the bumper. You'll re-use one bolt, one nut and one washer on the left and right sides as the brackets share holes with the bumper facia. So it's BOYB (Bring Your Own Bolts) and nuts and washers for the other two. There are already holes in the bumper for the brackets...so there is no drilling. Yay!!

Fifth, you mount the lights.

Sixth, you route the harness to the lights from the split in the harness...just follow the existing harnesses.

Seventh, you attach the ground wire to ground point on the frame. It's easy to see sticking out. Don't forget to sand off the paint before attaching it and then spray over it when you're done.

Eighth, you then route the rest of the harness to the Chassis Module under the cab on the driver's side...look to the left of the cab batteries above the fuel tank. The module is mounted to the bottom of the cab. You'll unplug the 16-pin connector (marked C3). Remove the two plug in the holes and add the two wires for the positive wires to locations C and D on the connector. While looking at the connector from the wired side locations C and D are the 3rd and 4th position up from the bottom on the right side.

Reinstall the connector and you're done.

Now the smart switch needs to be programmed. That will cost you $100 bucks, but it's all warrantied and Freightliner OEM.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #6

Pictures?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #7

I'll upload some pictures soon.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #8

Here's pictures of the installed switch and lights.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2755.jpg   IMG_2756.jpg  
Old 10-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #9

Very cool!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #10

Here is the PIN-out diagram for the 18-PIN connector on the Chassis Module under the cab next to the cab batteries. This is the view from the side where the wires go into the connector. The OEM wire harness comes with the terminals for the connector already in the wires.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2757.jpg  
Old 11-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #11

Ok, liked your install so much I'm adding the lights! Have everything installed and have two questions:

What ground stud did you use?

Did you have to dis-assemble the C3 connector to install the pinned wires? There are no plugs in my 3 and 4 connectors so not sure if you just press them in or separate the pinned assembly from the black connector.

I moved all the switches around while I was at it. Moved passenger window switch over to passenger side where OD switch was and put OD switch by driver, etc...

Thanks again for the write up
Old 11-03-2014, 06:27 AM   #12

What ground stud did you use? There is an empty tab with a hole inside the frame on the driver's side about a foot or so back as you are running the harness back along the frame. I sanded off the paint, attached it with a stainless bolt, washer and lock nut. Then I repainted it.

Did you have to dis-assemble the C3 connector to install the pinned wires? I did unplug the C3 connector in order to work better. Then I unclipped the purple retainer on one side and pulled it back without removing it in order to snap in the two terminals. It was when I unclipped the purple retainer that I notice there were plugs in the unused holes.

I never thought to move switches around. Great idea! Please post a picture of what your switch configuration is now.