Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2015, 06:20 PM   #1

Freightliner Seneca Basement Doors

We have a 2015 Seneca FK and I wondered if anyone else is having trouble with the basement storage doors. While driving our Seneca over to the Freightliner shop last week, one of the doors popped open. The door was locked, so the latch managed to slip from its clip when I hit a bump. I adjusted the clip and checked the other doors. Several of them needed adjusted - a good pull and the locked door popped right open.

Then, tonight, I went out to turn on the LP so I could fire up the fridge and run the heater for a bit. When I opened the LP tank compartment door, the clip fell to the ground. It looks like it was attached with smaller screws than the others and it ripped the heads off. I had to drill new holes and use some beefier screws to hold it in place.

Frustrating!
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #2

Yep same problem. On the drive home from picking ours up almost ripped a door off at a toolbooth. I have since adjusted all of them, adding additional screws plus made a new plate for the LP gas door striker. It's solid now. Doors stay shut. I also had a problem with the fiberglass steps/facia around the fuel tank breaking loose and flopping. Made new mounts for that also. The fiberglass panels over the rear tires broke loose so I made new mounts for them too.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #3

Ugh - that isn't making me feel any better. I noticed that the steps over the fuel tanks seem less than sturdy and wondered if they might break loose.

I think I have the basement door issue solved for now, but it'll be a while before I stop checking the side view mirrors every time I hit a bump..
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 03-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #4

Does your r/h rear basement leak? Mine filled with water so I drilled a small hole in the bottom to let it drain. It's at the dealer now for recalls and they are looking at it.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #5

I haven't found any water in the compartments (although it was the right rear-most compartment that popped open last week) - they all seem to seal well based on the dirt patterns on the inside of the doors. I'm guessing that since you are having the dealer look at it you don't know where its coming from. On the 36FK, the fresh water tank is one compartment forward of the one you're talking about, so I would assume there are water lines nearby.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 08-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #6

I am wondering how long the basement housings will last being only plastic? Plastic will get hard and brittle after a little age. Not really happy with these, can they even be replaced when they do go bad?
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #7

I had two doors pop open while driving thank goodness no cars were hit also had water in three compartments after a heavy rain took back to dealer they adjusted doors then when I got unit back checked generator door and same thing 2 broken screws and 1 small one barely hanging on had to re-drill and put bigger ones in. Have made 2 trips so far nothing popped open but waiting for the next big rain to check for water entry
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:11 AM   #8

Basement doors/wind noise

I will check all my doors for fit and security of them. I usually like to repair things myself and not rely on a dealer to put an unexperienced tech on the unit. Had horrible wind noise but I made two rubber boots that go over the upper mirror hinge assy. Man what a difference, it was a delight to drive without all the high pitch noises.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #9

Have had trouble with a couple of doors coming open and attributed it to not pushing hard enough on them when closing. All this talk about screws, I'll have to check them. I did have a problem with the hose for the external stove connection. The screws look like they just rusted off. It fell off when I tried to connect the stove. Replaced them with stainless screws. Could have been bad if I was going down the road and hose fell off. I'm sure by the time I saw it the back of the MH would have been on fire!

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #10

External stove?? Not sure what your referring too.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #11

I think I remember seeing that they added an external propane connection on the 2016's. That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Adding one to ours is on my list of things to do at some point.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 08-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #12

I have a 2015 seneca ts
my doors have popped open 2 times in 9000 miles
my right side drivers arm rest falls off when you fold past vertical. Easy to re install.
Do not know what is missing as the three others work fine.
WE installed a nice electric horn, now we rule the road when needed
several small issues, but overall we like the Seneca
WE did do the wind noise fix and now we are DP quiet.
PS we had to replace a taillight that was full of water $25.00 online.
rebuilt hydraulic jack that leaked
repaired burn wires on step
glued several loose trim pieces
rerouted air line by drive shaft
had to seal shower to stop leak
a few other small things, so not bad as RV's go
PS I can not ever get more than 46 gallons in my tanks, any answers? I do fill from both sides
As a previous owner of many high end class A's (8 or 9) including four 45 footers and two Prevosts I find the Seneca a great driver. Easiest to drive of any RV I have ever owned. It is short on space around bed and the toilet area, sure not the quality of the class A's, but not bad. It is a lot of RV for the dollar. The other coaches cost 3-5 times the Seneca price.
If I could tell Jayco anything it would be only do two slides and skip the big one as we all know sooner or later that thing is going to be a problem. I had a four slide 2005 45 foot Navigator, however I never worried about my slides. On the Seneca with the very deep booth slide I worry.
PSS has anyone with a TS shimmed (tilted) their TV. We cannot view ours from bed because it is not tilted. That is just dumb for Jayco not to have fixed this long ago.
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
PSS has anyone with a TS shimmed (tilted) their TV. We cannot view ours from bed because it is not tilted. That is just dumb for Jayco not to have fixed this long ago.
We are hijacking the thread, but oh well..........

I have a 2014, I think the 2015 rear TVs were the same. I replaced the rear TV with a larger Samsung (have actually replaced all 3 TVs with larger units!), mounting it outside the cupboard door on a motion bracket. It is held flat on the door by two nylon latching straps for travel. When strapped down it lays on two rubber weatherstripping pieces to keep it from rattling and marring the back of the TV. I also have a Blu-ray player on the top shelf of the wardrobe and a sound bar mounted above the wardrobe. Our rear TV experience is great now!

Here are a few pics, PM me if you need any information on this or my other TV mods.
Attached Thumbnails
20160812_073625_resized.jpg   20160812_073704_resized.jpg   20160812_073751_resized.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #14

My door is hinged at the top (i think). I planned on shimming between the bracket and the TV using spacers and longer screws. I will look and see if a new bracket is a good option for me as yours looks nice.
Thanks
johnd
jdshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #15

The motion bracket is bolted to the original "behind the door" bracket that Jayco used. I just added to what they had.

Hinging up may limit you to keeping TV behind door though.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #16

The 2016 has a hose off the propane tank with a quick connect and valve for a propane stove. Not sure about later models.

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #17

Seneca basement doors popped open

I also had problems with my doors coming open, on their own. On my first real trip three of my doors came open on their own. This is the first time something had been put inside the storage area. (Not over loaded) I pulled off the freeway and saw that one of the doors popped the heads of the screws holding the door on. Fortunately, I was driving past the dealer where I purchased the Seneca. They put a heavier duty screw on the door. I made an appointment for the following week and they saw that when the doors were locked a strong tug would pull the doors open. The plan they devised was a 3" x 16" piece of rigid metal behind each latch. It appears the cargo bay flexed too much and allowed the doors to pop open. They installed the metal on all but the propane door. The doors have stayed secure on several trips now, One over 700 miles.
They contacted Jayco and were told they never heard of that problem with the cargo goods. I find that hard to believe. I still look at the doors as I drive to make sure they haven't worked loose and check them at each stop.
I guess I am paranoid now.
2012 Ford F-350 Dually
rollon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:30 PM   #18

I have experienced one door coming open in two years. I guess I don't have a problem there. As for the compartment floors, I cut 3/16 in thick plywood for the compartment floors. Makes for a stringer floor.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwade View Post
I have experienced one door coming open in two years. I guess I don't have a problem there. As for the compartment floors, I cut 3/16 in thick plywood for the compartment floors. Makes for a stringer floor.
I had a door pop open on a particularly rough road. Inspection of that door and the others revealed several compartments with stripped or missing screws. I think they used different latches on the 2016's and later.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
2014 Honda CR-V toad