Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Fresh water tank empties while driving

Has anyone had an issue with the fresh water tank sloshing out overflow? Never had this problem before. Filled tank full, after driving through switch backs in Mountains water tank was empty. No leaks but I discovered it coming out of overflow on turns etc. Strange??
gegolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

Common problem on these trailers. I put a cap on mine to close them off during travel.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #3

This thread should give you plenty of reading entertainment.
Bottom line, most people(myself included) end up adding a couple of shutoff valves to their tanks. A few people have extended the tubing above the tank level in a loop.
This is a irritating design flaw that has been going on for years.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
This thread should give you plenty of reading entertainment.
Bottom line, most people(myself included) end up adding a couple of shutoff valves to their tanks. A few people have extended the tubing above the tank level in a loop.
This is a irritating design flaw that has been going on for years.
Linky http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ukes-3503.html

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Common problem on these trailers. I put a cap on mine to close them off during travel.
^ what he said. I used a couple of rubber corks from Ace Hardware.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #6

Thank you

Tnx for replies, I was hoping I wasn't the only one. I used 3 AA batteries and plugged each tube... result...no water loss since. When we get back I will do the valves. Thanks again
gegolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegolden View Post
Tnx for replies, I was hoping I wasn't the only one. I used 3 AA batteries and plugged each tube... result...no water loss since. When we get back I will do the valves. Thanks again

I used these from Home Depot, cheap and they fit so tight I really did not need the hose clamps that I used. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rain-Bird...0-1S/204751239

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #8

Thumbs down

Only happened once, so far, siphoned 1/2 of a full tank from the overflow when leaving for a trip. All the way down the road a water trail, really upset me, thought it was a broken tank.
Not sure where I would add a 'shut off valve'. If it has to be on the overflow, it's not happening, that's a long dirty crawl under the RV.
Or where to add AA batteries, in the cold water line somewhere?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippers View Post
Only happened once, so far, siphoned 1/2 of a full tank from the overflow when leaving for a trip. All the way down the road a water trail, really upset me, thought it was a broken tank.
Not sure where I would add a 'shut off valve'. If it has to be on the overflow, it's not happening, that's a long dirty crawl under the RV.
Or where to add AA batteries, in the cold water line somewhere?
You could do the crawl one time and extend the line down to where you can reach it. Then you could 'put a cork in it.' Our procedure is, when we leave, the cork(s) go in and when we stop the cork(s) come out. Or you could install a valve you can reach.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #10

A thought was to install an additional outside valve like the black low point drain on our Greyhawk. Could operate without diving under MH (to turn of valve or un-cork) and clearly see open/closed setting upon prep/setup.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #11

3 hoses on my 2015 GreyHawk 29mv

I posted this question separately today, but someone up above this series of replies said he put 3 AA batteries in his 3 hoses....(some people maybe with trailers etc. only mention two hoses).
So looking alongside my water tank there is 3 hoses, and I have the shut off valves to put on the hoses (3 of them), do I put a valve on all 3 hoses ?
Are all 3 hoses part of the overflow-vent hoses for the fresh water...
Like everyone else am tired of losing about a 1/3 of my water on my trip...
thanks.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #12

On my 2008 Seneca there's a group of 3 hoses connected into the very top of the tank with no valves, which causes water loss on sharp turns.
There's also another single hose connected to the very bottom of the tank with a valve for a full drain and flush.
I can see and access all of them from a rear exterior storage cabinet.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #13

I have three hoses also, with access to their three valves in a rear outside cabinet. I think that they are the low point drains for the hot, cold, and ?. Maybe the third is for the bath or galley hot or cold??
Old 06-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippers View Post
I have three hoses also, with access to their three valves in a rear outside cabinet. I think that they are the low point drains for the hot, cold, and ?. Maybe the third is for the bath or galley hot or cold??
My '08 Seneca has the separate 3 low-point drains but they are in the wet bay. They are used to drain the fresh water lines and winterize.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:03 PM   #15

I just put shut off valves in all 3. Any opinions on if the use of the pump without opening them would cause a problem. I'm thinking about handwashing etc. while traveling.
GM'sEnvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #16

On our Seneca, I originally planned to put in 3 separate valves, but as I was ready to install, I realized I could install a "wye" and hook 2 of the drain hoses together and a "T" to hook the 3rd into the same drain. Then only one shutoff valve and I moved it across the coach close to the water intake, so its very easy to just open or close as we setup or tear down from a camping location. This modification has worked without incident for over a year.

The idea came from this great forum. Thanks to all the contributors.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #17

That's a great idea. Do you open it if you want to use the pump while on the road? Thanks!
Old 08-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM'sEnvoy View Post
That's a great idea. Do you open it if you want to use the pump while on the road? Thanks!
Interesting that you asked. I thought I would have to, but there is enough volume that it is not required. When I open the valve, after setting up or when filling, I don't even hear a sucking in of air. I think there is enough volume, that it is really not an issue.

I put the valve in the compartment where you fill from on the driver's side, so probably added almost 8 feet of hose. It has really worked out well and I don't leave that water trail when you make a tight turn after filling.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 08-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #19

Thanks and I'm going to copy your extension hose idea. So many great ideas on this foru m!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #20

When we camp, I usually collect water from AC runoff. It prevents a mess around the campground and also gives me a source for washing my "Bug Collection" off the front of the unit.

When I'm getting ready to fill the tank, (we always use the Seneca's pressure water system we just dry camp too much to mess with city pressure), I always stick this bucket under the drain of the tank over fill. Imagine this loop of hose going from one side of the coach to the other, some water sits in there, so when I open the valve about a quart or two of water runs out. I catch this is my bucket. Never hurts to have a bucket of water around for campfire dousing, cleaning something up or the dog wanting a drink and it keeps the ground from getting muddy.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse

Tags
31xl, losing fresh water