Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #1

Fuel tanks

My wife and I recently purchased a 2014 Seneca. The brochures state it has 74 gallon tank. I took it down to the point the fuel light came on, and was only able to put 57 gallons in before the tanks were full. Am I missing something? The light comes on at 1/8 of a tank, or 9 gallons. What happened to the other 11 gallons of fuel?
Ausshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #2

Not sure why that is but, I do know fuel senders can be tempermental. Can't tell you how often it happens with me. Shut my truck off with "250 miles to empty" just to start it up the next day to "235 to empty". Senders are funny like that. Like parking your vehicle on a hill, you can get false readings. It's very possible something like that happened. Maybe it really wasn't 1/8 of a tank left. Also, there's the variance of the sender float not reaching to the bottom of the tank completely. No sender float should ever "bottom out" in the tank. Seems to me, you actually had more fuel than the vehicle told you..which is normal. But definately keep an eye on it. If it continues with false readings, take it in. JMHO
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

The most I have put in so far is 48 gal and that is about the 1/4 mark. Keep in mind that the tanks are flat bottom tanks and the PU tube is NOT on the bottom but rather an inch or two off the floor of the tank so as to not PU water and dirt in the tank. I am finding my gauge is very accurate (meaning at 1/2 a tank it takes 37 gal to fill-up). If you want to run one until it is empty let us know where on the gauge that happens so I don't do it. lol I thought about carrying a couple of 5 gal cans with diesel so I could run a little longer without fear of not finding a truck stop. As it is I set up refueling for about 425-450 miles between stops. I would love to have at least 100 gals!!!
Old 09-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #4

I have a '14 37TS and like Mike above my gauge seems fairly accurate. 1/2 tank indicated and around 37 gallons fills it back up. I also wish I held more, the additional range would come in handy. I start thinking about fueling when I get to 1/2 tank, old habit I guess. But switching from a Ford E-450 gasser to the Freightliner I already have considerably more range than my regular Class C units I had for years.

Another issue to consider on how low you run your tanks is your generator. I have never run my tanks so low the generator ran out of fuel, and frankly I don't want to. I always try to have enough fuel onboard that if I need to stop for some reason I am assured I can run the generator for a time.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #5

The PU for the gen is supposed to be at the 1/4 mark.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #6

Have freightliner test the dash. We had to have the dash replaced to fix the fuel gauge problem.
Themobiledude is offline   Reply With Quote