Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

Gage on black tank

I have been having trouble with the gage on my black tank. I dump it and it says it's 3/4 full still ? how do I clear whatever is interfering with the sensor ?
Seneca 37ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #2

You can get a spray wand that attaches to a garden hose and stick that down the toilet, trying to spray water on the sensors. You can drive around with 5-10lbs of ice in the black tank hoping that knocks debris off the sensors. Or you can do what most of us do and ignore the sensor because it will be an ongoing losing battle for accuracy.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #3

Sounds like you have some tp or worse stuck to the sensor. Try pouring 1 cup of blue dawn dish soap and a cup of calgon water softener with a bucket of warm water down the toilet. Drive the rig around a bit to mix. then check your gauges again.
Dcarl569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca 37ts View Post
I have been having trouble with the gage on my black tank. I dump it and it says it's 3/4 full still ? how do I clear whatever is interfering with the sensor ?
The blank tank gauge is notorious for bad readings. Do you have a black tank flush? You need to flush the tank to remove any debris that maybe hung up on the sensors. I use the built in BT flush every time I dump my tank and my gauge has been reading correctly. Without a built in flush, there are wands that you can connect to a water source and stick down the toilet to rinse the inside of the tank and help remove debris. some folks swear by after market sensors, but I've never had a problem with mine. I always wait until my tank is 100% full before dumping also. The added pressure of a full tank at dump time does a better job of blowing the stuff out.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
The blank tank gauge is notorious for bad readings. Do you have a black tank flush? You need to flush the tank to remove any debris that maybe hung up on the sensors. I use the built in BT flush every time I dump my tank and my gauge has been reading correctly. Without a built in flush, there are wands that you can connect to a water source and stick down the toilet to rinse the inside of the tank and help remove debris. some folks swear by after market sensors, but I've never had a problem with mine. I always wait until my tank is 100% full before dumping also. The added pressure of a full tank at dump time does a better job of blowing the stuff out.

Also fill tank completely with water to clean tank after dumping...............
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #6

You may want to consider employing the "Geo Method" or some form of it as part of your regular tank maintenance. As Dcarl569 suggested a mixture of dish soap and water softener can be used to help loosen any stuck material. When used more regularly it can reduce the amount of material that gets stuck in the first place. Check out this article on the "Geo Method" - https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

I use a similar mixture as detailed here fairly regularly and it does help quite a bit with our smaller tanks that don't have built-in rinsers.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca 37ts View Post
Sounds as though there may be some tissue interfering with the sensor. I've had this once. If you have a black tank flush, try adding water and then use short bursts to dislodge the tissue. If you don't have the tank flush then use a wand to clean out the tank by putting quite a bit of water in the black tank then empty it. May take several tries.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:15 PM   #8

I've seen it suggested to part-fill your tank with ice and water, then drive round some twisty roads. The theory is that the ice will dislodge any... well, any solids, that may be stuck to the sensor
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #9

Don't waste your time and money driving around with ice in the tank it doesn't work.

https://youtu.be/iH6acEmqvcw
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Or you can do what most of us do and ignore the sensor because it will be an ongoing losing battle for accuracy.
We gave up a long time ago... but since your black tank should be right below your toilet, your new black gauge is a flashlight. Just turn the fresh water off - and hold the flush open and look a the level in your black tank.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Or you can do what most of us do and ignore the sensor because it will be an ongoing losing battle for accuracy.
There is another option, although it does entail spending some money and some work to install. Replacing the standard KIB in-tank probes with a SeeLevel system as installed on high-end coaches. I did it on my Seneca intending on keeping it for many years. I did all the work myself, if you have to have someone else do it it likely will be costly due to the labor involved.

But I can report they are completely unaffected by TP or other debris, give you a much more accurate level from 0 to 100%, can incorporate programmable level alarms (high or low) depending on which system you purchase. And my unit even has Bluetooth connectivity allowing me to view my tank levels on my smartphone anywhere near the coach. I also installed a second display in my wet bay so I can monitor dumping and freshwater tank filling.

Here is a post where I describe my installation http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...s-39395-9.html
as well as a photo album Jayco RV Owners Forum - Robbbyr's Album: Seneca SeeLevel tank indicators and hot water recirculation installation

Not a mod for everyone, but if you plan to keep your unit for a long time it might be worth considering. Especially if you travel with kids/grandkids who have no concept of water conservation!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Not a mod for everyone, but if you plan to keep your unit for a long time it might be worth considering. Especially if you travel with kids/grandkids who have no concept of water conservation!
Just waiting for you to come to Las Vegas to do this modification Fresh and grey super easy to get to on Embark but the black tank is same problem/area you faced.