Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

Gas heat going to 72 regardless of setting

During the last camping trip, the temperature got down to 29 degrees. When I turned on the gas heat and set it for 68. Later on I noticed that the heat set point was 72. Did this a couple of times with the same result. After watching this, I noticed that the set point would go to 00 and then 72. I emailed support at AirXcel and this is the reply I got.
. 72 is factory default on the thermostat, so what you are experiencing is likely a weak ground. The double zero is an indication that the incoming voltage to the thermostat is below useable range. When the voltage goes back to normal, the thermostat will automatically be set to 72. About 90% of the cases I run into like this, reestablishing the ground corrects the problem.
Just as info. It all worked fine during the day when the heat pump was running. So off we go to the dealer.

driwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #2

I had a similar issue.I took the panel off there the heater is and they had the thicker white wire grounded to the heater itself.Upon chasing the thermostat wires and checking them for tightness I found the ground was loose on the heater itself.That solved the problem of the heater doing what it wanted to do.Im guessing when it clicked to start or at set point it would lose power and reset to factory default.Could be simple fix

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #3

Hmmm I have had the same problem. I just thought it was something I did. I will have to check the ground connections.
Ronbo is offline   Reply With Quote