Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #1

Generator in-line Fuel shut off valve

After doing a little reading, and thinking back to how bad last winter was, I asked myself if the RV is all winterized and covered would I realistically go out and start up the genny every month and run it at full load so that the carb would not varnish or get gummed up? The answer was I would try, but just to be safe I installed an in-line fuel shut off valve today. So now, before I store the RV for any length of time, I can run the genny then turn the in-line valve off, wait about two minutes and the genny will shut off leaving no fuel in the carb to varnish or gum up. I believe this will help, cost a total of $5.00 and literally about 10 min of time.

Has anyone else done this and what are the results + or - with it?........I know its a little late to ask after its done

Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
Site Team

I can think of no negatives with this set up it is what I do to my tractor and my generator when they wont be used for a extended period of time.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Excellent mod; I run all the gas engines dry from the equipment I own, I also put a little bit oil on the piston so the rings are lubricated. Some of my equipment wants to outlive me. Proper care and maintenance is a money saver.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #4

I've used STA-BIL gass additive for years and it works like a charm.
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #5

That would not be too effective with a Greyhawk Genset, since they get fuel from the main tank. You would need to treat up to 55 gal.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #6

snowbird47 you need to treat the main tank anyway. then run the motor or that tank will go stale too...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #7

I treat with stabil also, I have a couple of hot rods along with some farm equipment that get stored for the winter as-well so I have plenty of stabil on hand. I don't trust in stabil alone though, as I have had some equipment that I have treated and when I have pulled it out ended up rebuilding carbs.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #8

I run all of my equipment from mowers, edger's, and the generator completely out of pump gas w/StaBil before I put them up for the winter then;

I put enough of the 50:1 2 stroke fuel (from the HW store) in the tanks to get them running, then run them out of fuel again and put them away. No problems for about 5 years now.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #9

The only problem is the GEN instructions specifically say to run it for about an hour a month at 1/2 load to keep everything lubricated and moisture off the rings and stator.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #10

grumpy you are correct, that is what cummins told me after my second carb, and they don't cover carb gunking under warranty, my dealer told me the carbs are sealed and cannot be worked on, thanks california regs for that, he usually replaces 30 carbs every year, carbs are 250-300 and about 2 hours labor or more my total ended up being 750.00 , had a gas line shutoff put in my fleetwood, no more problems, you want poor customer service buy a fleetwood, thats why i bought a jayco
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #11

Being in Las Vegas (very dry climate) you have a much better chance of the geny not getting moisture on the stator and rings. In the mid-west not running it would end up costing you not just a carb repair, but an entire geny repair at triple the carb price.

The best solution is stabil in the fuel tank and a monthly run of the geny.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #12

yes you should start everything up during the winter. (Occasionally). StaBil is only designed to last about 60 days. Thats not saying it WONT last longer, Im just saying it is only guaranteed for 60. Firing everything thing up a few times during winter gets everything charged up again.

I do like the fuel shutoff valve idea. ("maybe I should add them to a few of my real snotty customers gensets-without telling them-then charge them a couple hours labor to "fix" their gennys after they throw their tantrum that the genny wont start")? Hmmmm ---- NO! bad bad bad thought, but it would be funny to pull on those people who throw that "I paid $XXX amount on this, and I deserve everything" garbage. I hear that crap from somebody at least once a week.

OK back to reality, the fuel shutoff is a good idea not only to let it run dry, but to keep anyone else from stealing a little power from your gas tank.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #13

Don't get me wrong, I still plan on running the genny once a month, but when you are sitting in zero degree temps like I am right now with the rv covered and stored away, realistically, going out and uncovering it (with the cover covered in snow) enough to run the genny for a bit probobly isn't going to happen, so this is just a fail safe......a back up plan in case the weather is to nasty to get out and run it. Now once the weather breaks and I can get out and run it, I will, but this way stabil or not (yes I have treated with stabil, way to expensive of a toy to not spend $13.00 on a bottle)I don't have to worry about varnishing and gumming of the carbs either way because the carb will be void of fuel if we get 8 weeks of record low temps at zero and below with 18 inches of snow on the ground like last winter.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #14

I don't have a generator in my camper, but I do have a portable generator which I power my home with. Every fall, I drain the gas tank, then fill it with fresh gas and stabil (to the top). This will help keep water out of the fuel. Run it for 10 minutes, and use the fuel shutoff to shut it down. Then change the oil with fresh synthetic 5W-30, set the engine at TDC, then rotate 1/2 turn, remove the plug and put a little oil in the cylinder as well and give it a shot of air to distribute it nice. That should keep it just fine throughout the winter without having to start it, and should you need to use it, it will be ready!
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #15

This is what we do with our ATVs and my 2003 Honda never has a has a problem in the spring. My wife's is fuel injected, no problem there either.
JMAT is offline   Reply With Quote