Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
Being in Las Vegas (very dry climate) you have a much better chance of the geny not getting moisture on the stator and rings. In the mid-west not running it would end up costing you not just a carb repair, but an entire geny repair at triple the carb price.

The best solution is stabil in the fuel tank and a monthly run of the geny.

PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
yes you should start everything up during the winter. (Occasionally). StaBil is only designed to last about 60 days. Thats not saying it WONT last longer, Im just saying it is only guaranteed for 60. Firing everything thing up a few times during winter gets everything charged up again.

I do like the fuel shutoff valve idea. ("maybe I should add them to a few of my real snotty customers gensets-without telling them-then charge them a couple hours labor to "fix" their gennys after they throw their tantrum that the genny wont start")? Hmmmm ---- NO! bad bad bad thought, but it would be funny to pull on those people who throw that "I paid $XXX amount on this, and I deserve everything" garbage. I hear that crap from somebody at least once a week.

OK back to reality, the fuel shutoff is a good idea not only to let it run dry, but to keep anyone else from stealing a little power from your gas tank.

I started with nothing, and still have most of it left
2001 Jayco KIWI 23B
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 AWD
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
Don't get me wrong, I still plan on running the genny once a month, but when you are sitting in zero degree temps like I am right now with the rv covered and stored away, realistically, going out and uncovering it (with the cover covered in snow) enough to run the genny for a bit probobly isn't going to happen, so this is just a fail safe......a back up plan in case the weather is to nasty to get out and run it. Now once the weather breaks and I can get out and run it, I will, but this way stabil or not (yes I have treated with stabil, way to expensive of a toy to not spend $13.00 on a bottle)I don't have to worry about varnishing and gumming of the carbs either way because the carb will be void of fuel if we get 8 weeks of record low temps at zero and below with 18 inches of snow on the ground like last winter.
Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #14
I don't have a generator in my camper, but I do have a portable generator which I power my home with. Every fall, I drain the gas tank, then fill it with fresh gas and stabil (to the top). This will help keep water out of the fuel. Run it for 10 minutes, and use the fuel shutoff to shut it down. Then change the oil with fresh synthetic 5W-30, set the engine at TDC, then rotate 1/2 turn, remove the plug and put a little oil in the cylinder as well and give it a shot of air to distribute it nice. That should keep it just fine throughout the winter without having to start it, and should you need to use it, it will be ready!
Karl - Southeast, NY
2011 Jayco Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke Turbo Diesel My mods Bathroom Door Water Filter TV mount Cork Board
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #15
This is what we do with our ATVs and my 2003 Honda never has a has a problem in the spring. My wife's is fuel injected, no problem there either.

JMAT is offline   Reply With Quote