Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

Generator Struggling - weak lawnmower

Hey ya'll!!! I got another one for you. We went out this weekend on mostly generator power. Worked great. Someone new came and microwaved while A/C was on a tripped a circuit. Reset just fine. But now it sounds like my description. The generator just seems to be struggling to get by, it provides power, but it sounds like a lawnmower in tall grass. Ya'll know what I'm talking about! Any ideas?
Old 06-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #2

Is this a built in generator? Also which make and model?

I suspect crude (aka varnish) is stuck in one of the passages in the carb. Do you use ethanol based fuel, which is bad for generator health. Do normally exercise the generator every month for at least 1 hour at 50 percent load?

I would start with some Seafoam in the fuel.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #3

Your 30 amp is maxed out with the Microwave and A/C running. Add in a water heater or some other heavy loads and you'll trip the breaker. The sound of your generator is probably louder because of the heavy load. Does turning you A/C off decrease the noise? The generator also has two square headed bolts in the exhaust system. One of them came out? Take a look right where the exhaust exits the generator to find the two bolts.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #4

There is no load and it sounds like this now. Sorry I should have clarified. And when I look inside the generator the part that provides the gas is moving back and forth corresponding to the weak/strong sound. (Sorry I don’t know much about engines)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo1083 View Post
There is no load and it sounds like this now. Sorry I should have clarified. And when I look inside the generator the part that provides the gas is moving back and forth corresponding to the weak/strong sound. (Sorry I don’t know much about engines)

Throttle linkage? (the part that's moving)

Have you load tested the generator since the incident? i.e. - plug a bunch of 120 volt stuff into it to see if it's still generating sufficient power?

During the break in phase of my generator, I was plugging in shop lights, my george forman grill, my electric BBQ smoker, etc...

I guess what I'm saying is have you confirmed that the motor/ gen is actually not able to provide the power it is rated for, regardless of the noise it's making... And I know the noise you are talking about very well. Just experienced it a couple minutes ago mowing my back yard for the first time in 2 weeks. I guess all that matters is if it gets the job done. Need more info. Usually when a small motor like these changes idle rapidly like you are describing, it's a fuel problem, carb is out of adjustment (lean) and likely has nothing to do with you tripping the breaker. I can't imagine being able to damage the motor by overloading the generator portion once. I don't think your issue has anything to do with the 'incident' you are describing. Unfortunately, if you don't have a decent amount of small motor repair / troubleshooting skill set, you'll have to take it in somewhere after you've ruled out bad gas, or other trivial items, is my opinion.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #6

Yes throttle linkage! Thank you.

So I did have to put in "clean fuel" at one of the gas stations. And it also corresponds with the incident as well, I would have no issue believing the incident and the generator is just a coincidence. I can try and clean out the carb. I can follow directions lol, just may not know the problem ahead of time!
Old 06-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo1083 View Post

Sounds like the air filter might be dirty.
Put a load on it and I bet it'll smooth out.

It's either air intake, or as others have stated, fuel related.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #8

Toss a can of sea foam in the fuel tank if you start running out of ideas. Stuff is pretty amazing.

SeaFoam
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

Cleaned the filters and put a load back on it. Sounds like a champ again. Thanks again guys. Another Schneider problem solved (some of ya'll need some rewards cards from me or something, ya'll enjoying working on my problems more than pumpkin spic lattes and uggs get along)
Old 06-29-2017, 05:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Toss a can of sea foam in the fuel tank if you start running out of ideas. Stuff is pretty amazing.

SeaFoam
You got a lot of good advice here and got through your problem. I'm also a big believer in Sea Foam for gas and diesel engines. It keeps fuel fresh and removes water. Also the idea of exercising your generator.. You got to run it. Stale fuel can turn to varnish in the intake line or carb.. Good equipment needs to be maintained and used.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote