Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #1

Generator use

So, when I purchased my 2008 Jayco Seneca 36MS, 37' Class C, the service tech told me to run the generator for a/c when traveling rather than the cab air. Is this a good idea? I do find myself freezing so that I can give air to the dogs in the area behind the cab area. Would my diesel cost be less using the generator vs the cab air? I would appreciate your thoughts on generator use. Also, I will be the at the NC beach in Oct. The state park does not have electric. If the days are to hot for the dogs I would think it is ok to run the generator during the day to run a/c. Your thoughts on this as well. Thanks!
jtc@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #2

I would think that the additional diesel consumption would be minimal by the engine, vs running the gen set.

My .02

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #3

We do not see any fuel economy difference when we use the air. I'm sure there is some but very minimal.

The same would go for the genny since the 6000 uses less than 1/2 gal per hour and the 8000 uses right at 1/2 gal per hour which is about what the load would be running both roof airs. So the equivalent would be like driving 4-5 miles since you will probably get about 9-10 mpg.

So whether you use the genny or the cab air the fuel consumption will be about the same.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #4

Lots of discussion on this over on IRV2. The idea is that it's more fuel efficient to run the genset.

If you don't get a lot of generator use, I'd do it - you want to run the genset every once in a while.

If you do use your genset a lot and the RV stays cool while traveling without it, I don't recommend it. Generators are expensive and have finite lifetimes, much shorter than your engine based AC system.

For really long trips where we've actually got to run both ACs and we'll be on the road for days, I actually use a cheap generator on the rear bumper... Saves hours on the Onan.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator