Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Generator wiring help

First post here. I'm having issues with our new to us 2001 Jayco Eagle 286s Motorhome with 22k miles. There is zero power coming into the genset from the chassis. The main factory 12v positive wire that goes to the genset starter solenoid tests and shows ground. If I disconnect it from the solenoid and connect direct to the house battery it cranks fine with the genset switch. I have tested all of the cables on the chassis and house batteries to make sure they are correctly connected. What am I missing? The origional owner passed away so I bought it this way. Last ditch effort here before I spend money at the dealer. I have a pretty good mechanical background and have test equipment. I just don't know where the wire goes after it dives into the subflooring. Thanks!
RuhlDBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #2

Is it possible that a fuse has blown or a reset switch has been flipped? simple things first.
DtMaurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #3

I agree but I'm not finding it. I need to know where that cable leads so I can check. Does anyone know were the cable goes? The owners manual is less than helpful with regards to the generator operation...
Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #4

Have you contacted Jayco? They have been helpful to me, even sent a wiring diagram i needed. I know it is a 2001, but I would give it a shot, maybe they could send you the drawings?
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #5

I called a dealer and the mechanic was nice enough to trouble shoot over the phone since the nearest jayco dealer was an hour away. He didn't know where that cable went either. I tried Jayco but they are on eastern time and already closed for the day. Just hoping I didn't buy something I'll regret or spend all my summer working on. The generator, onan 4000, shows only 7.3 hours on it since 2001. It did fire once today when I jumped 12v to it but nothing since.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #6

I needed a question answered about my 02. I called Jayco, they answered my question. Just have your model number handy when you call. Don't let the generator spoil your vacation. Most camp sights have hookup's. It is nice to have everything working though. Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #7

Thanks Stan. I called Jayco and am waiting for tier 2 tech support to call back. They were very nice. I don't have a problem plugging in at the campground but we had boondock plans next week and just going down the road we will need the genset for AC as the kids will melt in the back without it in the 95+ degree days here. Speaking of which I need to go charge the dash AC also as it isn't blowing cold either.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #8

Update; jayco tier 2 support called me back within an
hour. They thought I had covered the trouble shooting
and sent me the wiring diagrams but those didn't tell me
where the wire went. He did say that the starter cable
goes straight to the aux battery and it may be easier to
run another power cable. I did. Then removed the Carb
and cleaned it we with gum out removing the needle and
Seat. I put it back together and with a little adjustment I
have an awesome running 11 year old generator with only
7 hours on it. I'll change the oil before I run it any further.
Woohoo! Thanks for the help!