Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #1

Getting ready to start the travel season

Hey folks, long time no chat! I've started preparing the rig for this year's travels, and finally have everything just about in order ... maybe a few more things on the list, but I did want to let everyone know I saved some big $$ on a new chassis battery.

I shopped around, finding prices ranging from $110-120 for the best batteries sold by the usual suspects (AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly). As I recall, these all had a six to eight year warranty (pro-rated).

Then I went to Walmart, where I found the EverStart Maxx brand, which has a NINE year warranty, with free replacement for the first three years. It was also more powerful, with 1000 cranking amps and 850 CCA.

Cost? $77 + tax, which brought it to a total of $81.62 here in Kentucky.

Needless to say, I couldn't buy it and bring it home to install fast enough. The ol' rig starts quickly and gives me no trouble at all. I've even been able to leave the cutoff switch in the "on" position for more than 2 days at a time. I couldn't do that with the old one.

Long story short: So far, I think Wally World has the best batteries at least on price if anyone is in the market. Time will tell how well it holds up, of course, but I have yet to experience any problems with their batteries.
jnewkirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:14 AM   #2

Wish you luck with the battery. Sounds like a good deal. It reminded me. I bought one batter from WalMart several years back. A deep cycle marine battery. I put it in my little jon boat to run my trolling motor. I never did get a chance to see how good it was. I live on a beautiful creek here in NW Florida. I left the jon boat tied to the dock, the next morning, I found my battery and trolling motor gone. To add insult to injury, the culprits not only stole my stuff, they pulled the plug on my boat and attempted to sink it. I had left that boat there for months in the past. I guess the new WalMart battery was too tempting. Needless to sayi didn't leave the boat in the water anymore.

Come to think of it, those deep cycle batteries must be good. These crooks usually know about the quality of stuff they take.

Jim
Priscilla, best friend & navigator.
Hank (5 year old black & tan Dachshund)
Cocoa (3 year old brown & tan dapple Dachshund)
2010 Fleetwood Excursion 30a
Toad is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X
(We traded in our F250 and Jayco Eagle)
One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #3

Good Story Country Boy.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #4

Wow, Country Boy ... painful story, but a real eye-opener!!!
jnewkirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote