Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #1

GH oven vent/exhaust ?'s

I have an 08 GH 31ss, and was putting the canopy out to dry, and noticed a wasp/hornet/stinging little bugger crawling into the oven vent cover. I thought that was not good, so I tapped on the vent cover a couple times and about 5-10 stinging little buggers came out of the square holes. Needless to say I hightailed out of there.

Since I can't the 4 screws & cover to see behind the cover without getting stung (a lot in all probability), can someone tell me what is behind the cover? Are there any wires or sensors behind the panel that could be damaged by the foaming hornet spray I have at the ready.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #2

It goes to the fan in your microwave or range hood. Look at the spray can it should be non corrosive/ non staining.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #3

There a few options, none are ideal, but I'm always fighting those things. The first one is to leave them alone. The life cycle from egg to when they leave the nest is about 30 days.Then you go in and remove the nest. They won't damage anything, but if you spray the liquid might drip down and ruin the electronics. If your going to go at them do it at night when they are not active. If you absolutely have to get them out of there, one little trick I've seen is get a fish net from the aquarium store. It needs to be large enough to cover the vent. Put a piece of duct tape on opposite sides of the fish net. Then at night(and I mean dark), gently tape the net over the vent cover. Make sure the net frame is flush with the coach. Then apply more duct tape all around the net frame. When you are sure there's no openings, then wait till morning. When you go out in the morning there will already be some trying to find a way out. Bang your fist(close to the vent) against the coach and the rest will come pouring out. Then you use your spray on the net. The spray needs to be as Grumpy said so it won't hurt the finish on your coach. This method does work if you need it, but best just to wait them out. If you do this, you need to take the vent cover off asap to remove the nest before the larvae hatch.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #4

soapy water in a spray bottle will kill them, or you could be tough like my dad always said he was heck son I used to beat them out with a switch ha
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:04 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote