Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Girard tankless water heater

The heater works well for showers and kitchen use.
My problem is the bathroom vanity where the rate of water flow isn't sufficient to open the gas valve igniting the heater.
How might I increase that flow on city water hookups? I'm operating at 40psi.
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Dreamgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #2

Do you have a regulator installed? Can it be changed?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #3

Interesting article on the Girard on demand water heater .

https://www.truma.com/us/en/press-ev...-blog-post.php

I am at the one year point Looking to get the Truma AquaGo installed . The Girard waste too much water . It has not worked reliably in the 11 months I have had my unit . As for increasing the flow on the Vanity sink ,I did not find a way to increase the flow . The aerator in the vanity I can not get off . I had to add an accumulator so the water pump would not cycle . The water at the at the vanity is way too hot with The Girard GSWH-1m second generation . Dreamgolfer which Girard tankless heater do you have ?
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:16 AM   #4

Pull the faucet aerator out and clean it.. I will bet you will find it is full of gunk. That should fix the low flow and get you some hot water...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamgolfer View Post
My problem is the bathroom vanity where the rate of water flow isn't sufficient to open the gas valve igniting the heater.
40psi on city hookup?
do you have a pressure reducer inline?

If so, pull it and see if things improve.
If not, I agree - somethings in there that's clogging things
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

Our Jayco dealer pulled the aerator out and now we get hot water in the bathroom, before we could not get hot water there. It makes some what of a mess with out aerator, but at least we have hot water. In order to get this tankless water heater to work for us, we have to adjust the temperature for when we take a shower or when we are washing dishes, not convenient, but it works. We put the temperature at what we like for showers and never touch the cold water. It is great to have an endless supply of hot water for a shower. It even worked for us when we weren't hooked up to water and were using the pump.
sbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:21 PM   #7

And now you know why many of us have replaced the POS water heater with tank type gas/electric.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #8

I would like to meet the Girard company salesman that sold the contracts to the RV industry. He is one heck of a salesman!!
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamgolfer View Post
Open another faucet at the same time.

These tankless systems are nice in theory...
Old 10-03-2016, 05:47 AM   #10

I have never had a problem with the heater on full hookups. We have plenty of hot water for dishes and in the bathroom. I can run 3 women through the shower back to back to back. It works great for me and it's one of my favorite features of the camper.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #11

Yeah - just to present the other side - we've not had many problems with our Gen II Girard either. On full hookups, it's great. We've got one son who enjoys the long showers.

Off hookup, it still works fine for us.

I'm just on him to keep his showers short or he'll burn the the 30 gallons of fresh water in one session.

I guess my opinion could change, but for now, we're glad we have the tankless.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Yeah - just to present the other side - we've not had many problems with our Gen II Girard either. On full hookups, it's great. We've got one son who enjoys the long showers.

Off hookup, it still works fine for us.

I'm just on him to keep his showers short or he'll burn the the 30 gallons of fresh water in one session.

I guess my opinion could change, but for now, we're glad we have the tankless.

I know there are a lot of tankless owners who are less than satisfied with the units, to the point where Jayco is swapping them out for them. I was one who initially would have like to have a tankless system but due to the negative reviews I opted against it.

One situation that seems to be a common problem area is when off the city hookups and using the water pump, yet you seem to be happy with it.

Possibly you could describe how you use the system so as to better help the others who are having difficulty. I know lots of times we get into a routine and become frustrated when a simple change in how we use a system can make all the difference in the world.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #13

Sure - I'll try. For starters, we've only had one issue with the heater with regards to flow. And that's when I popped on a Camco Pressure Regulator. That caused the shower to pretty much not send any hot water at all.

Took it off and hot water came back.

We don't do anything odd that I'm aware of. We have a son who enjoys hot showers and insists on two a day, so it gets good use.

We're in a 2016 31FK.

I usually start off by running the hot water in the bathroom to gauge how I need to turn the temperature dial. I usually aim for hot, not warm. After that, I fire up the shower and he jumps in.

What's odd is that we can actually mix in a smidge of cold water while showering. Odd because Girard says "don't do that" I think.

Other than that I can't think of anything we're doing that's odd.
Not sure if that helps.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #14

We've got a 3rd gen Girard, and so far, so good. There was an initial issue that required us to bang on one of the solenoid valves to get LP into the unit, but Jayco addressed that with a service bulletin.

Ours has a digital control that we can adjust the temperature with. I understand earlier models had something else, but if you consider a hot spa to be around 104*, we set the temp somewhere in that vicinity and run full hot in the shower. The only reason I can think you'd want to mix cold water into it is that it may give more water through the shower head. In my opinion, it may also lessen the pressure going into the HWH, which is what many think are causing the issues in the first place. Not only that, but why heat the water up to 110+, only to cool it back down?! Just a waste of LP!

Since having the service bulletin done, we've had zero issues. Even before, once we did the banging on the solenoid, it was worry free.

Its just what works at this point for us, and it's our technique on both pump and city water pressure. No regulator used at this point.

As for a regulator, I'm in two minds there as well. The PEX they're using is meant for city water pressures, unlike previous era's where they were using plumbing that was lower pressure rated. Are the plastic RV faucets the culprit to needing to lower the pressure in the RV? What's everybody's opinion on that?

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #15

The faucets used in RVs are the same faucets many of the mobile home manufacturers use, I am a plumbing and electric contractor and mobile home plumbing and electric is all I do, utility hook ups and service work for dealers and manufacturers. I have a Gen II in my 2014 Jayco Greyhawk 29mv, I bought the mh 3 weeks ago and have had it out once on a weekend camp to try it out. Had a couple issues with the HWH, scalding for 15 seconds then ice cold 15 seconds, would do this about 3 times then settle down, digital stat on 118. Also no hot water to lavatory to shave with.I'v been reading all these comments and done some modifications, I have taken the Camco Pressure Regulator off, removed all flow restrictors in faucets and set temp at 108. MH is setting in my driveway and I am going to use the shower in it tonight to see if it works right. I did try the water earlier to see if it was getting hot and staying there, it was, so I'm going to try it out. I will report back how it works. BTW, I am on a well and the pressure switch is a 30 50, on a 30 and off at 50psi.
mralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #16

Just came in from taking a shower. Mods must have worked. Digital stat on 108, shower turned on (hot side only), waited a few seconds for hot water, got in and did not touch the cold knob. Had hot water with no scalding or icing, not even once. Once in and going, the temp would fluctuate a little, (get a little cooler), by a couple degrees. Never ran out of hot water the 10 minutes or so I was in there. I think I can live with that. I think Rustysocket is right about getting into a routine and then getting or being frustrated when a simple change in how we use a system makes all the difference in the world. Just figuring out how to use something different than what we're used to takes a little time. Hey, we're camping, right? We've got lots of time!
mralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralex View Post
Had a couple issues with the HWH, scalding for 15 seconds then ice cold 15 seconds, would do this about 3 times then settle down, digital stat on 118. Also no hot water to lavatory to shave with.I'v been reading all these comments and done some modifications, I have taken the Camco Pressure Regulator off, removed all flow restrictors in faucets and set temp at 108.
From what I've seen in ours, when the temp is set too high, it's working like crazy to heat the water, and then add in low flow/low pressure and it senses an overheat and shuts down, until it cools to a certain temp, then kicks back on in a vicious circle. At lower temp settings, and with the same low flow, it doesn't seem to cycle off and on hardly at all.

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #18

Thanks folks, one and all. Lots of great input and suggestions.
I am presently waiting for the solenoid swap specified in the service bulletin, then I'll go with a more moderate temp setting and no pressure regulator.
We'll figure it out.
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Dreamgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #19

I have a question, what is everyone's thinking on not using a pressure regulator on our rvs?
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwade View Post
I have a question, what is everyone's thinking on not using a pressure regulator on our rvs?
from all that I have read and know...you should use one...I'm for using an adjustable one with a gauge on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Kanbrook-Adju...egulator&psc=1

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote