Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2015, 09:24 PM   #21

Another vote for the Dezl 760 (Garmin). The Rand McNally version can also be downloaded to an Ipad and run on that. I tried that, to get a feel for how I might like it. Nothing terrible to say about it, but I ended up preferring the Garmin more, so ended up buying it. Garmin perhaps not quite as easy to find campgrounds while on the road - but we have ipads, smart phones and laptops that do a better job than either, anyway. As with any GPS, you can't trust it 100%. You always have to preview the suggested route, and verify separately. It wanted to send us on some very strange routes due to perceived areas that were not allowable for trucks. But so did the Rand software.
I REALLY like the lane assist - it tells you way in advance what lane to be in for navigating freeway interchanges. A live saver in navigating Chicago in our 5th!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #22

After a 30 year career as a pilot and in particular the last 10 years of my career when gps really came into its own, Garmin all the way. The Garmin hardware in the many aircraft I flew or their software, took me problem free in hundreds of north Atlantic and Trans-Pacific crossings. Gps approaches on dark and stormy nights were always a breeze with any of the Garmins. Now I know the aviation application is somewhat different, but if I trusted them somewhere between Kinshasa and Istanbul, then they will find their way to the KOA.

.....and I can get one at Costco for $120.00.....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #23

Thank you everyone for your input on GPS units. I purchased the Garmin 760LMT-
will use it next week on our way to Myrtle Beach for spring break!
debra1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #24

Got the Rand McNally from camping world. Went ahead and got the 7" RV version w/lifetime maps. Had 2 Magellian GPS units in the past, at a year and a half old, they both would no longer charge or operate from the battery. Called Magellian, was told there was no way to repair. Told Magellian I would not have another of their units if they gave it to me.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote