Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #1

Grand Canyon recommendations please

Newbies here, planning our first big trip. We are thinking of going to the Grand Canyon during Thansgiving weeK. What are some good places to stay ?
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #2

We visited the north rim this past summer and loved it. We did it as a day trip from Zion NP.
towing Honda CRV
lilmoover35UN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmoover35UN View Post
We visited the north rim this past summer and loved it. We did it as a day trip from Zion NP.
North rim is not open in winter...basically from Oct to May it is closed. They do limited camping at the south rim, also there are several KOA's near the Grand Canyon. Watch the weather, you could have snow etc at that time of year.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
North rim is not open in winter...basically from Oct to May it is closed. They do limited camping at the south rim, also there are several KOA's near the Grand Canyon. Watch the weather, you could have snow etc at that time of year.
Thanks, I spend winter in the southern end of Florida so I wasn't even thinking about closings. The only NP near here is Everglades and it is open year round.
towing Honda CRV
lilmoover35UN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

Trailer Village at the South Rim is very good because it is right at the Canyon. You can walk or ride a bike to the rim. Have also stayed at The Grand Canyon Railway Park in Williams, AZ about 50 miles south of the Canyon but nice park and is a Passport America park (half price). From there you can take the train up to the park.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #6

I spent a week up there in Nov. a few years ago at hunting camp on the south side. It was really cold, as in below zero at night.
Tatanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #7

If you come across interstate 40 you could stay in Williams one hour to the canyon then the next day an hour to Sedona
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #8

Grand Canyon

Trailer Village at the South Rim Entrance worked well for me. Didn't have to drive from Williams everyday. Trailer Village sites are not very level. You will see elk every morning and you can walk to the bus and ride to the park.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
Newbies here, planning our first big trip. We are thinking of going to the Grand Canyon during Thansgiving weeK. What are some good places to stay ?
If you take me I'll show you
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #10

We stayed at the Trailer Village at the South Rim this past weekend. It was cold, but manageable. The village has full hookup, including cable. WIFI is not available at the RV site, but is available at a nearby location. A shuttle bus pick up is located at the village and it transports you to all the points of interest on the South Rim, visitor center, and general store (which is within walking distance from the RV site). We really enjoyed the RV site.
dfrank4623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #11

We dry camped at the campground in the village there at the South Rim. It dipped to 25 while there but not wet or snow. It was fun. With one battery we had to manage power but it was not all that hard. Heater ran all night long and in the morning we had plaenty of power for water pump lights etc. If you have not dry camped in your rig do it. Its fun.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

If you put the following words as a simple internet research term, you will find plenty of advice. "rv trip grand canyon"

Probably 80% redundant to sort through.

Just about all the information one needs is out there and is constantly being updated in multiple redundant specific and generic rv forums. This not only includes advice about travel plans, but repairs, maintenance, upgrades, on infinitum. It is important not to limit your search as no one set of information is definitive.

I'm not saying, don't put up a thread question. I am saying be sure to expand your research sources and make use of a broad internet search. Personally, I prefer the broad internet search as a first step, but that is not as sociable as chatting up the group for their assistance, and often I find the answers I need before I put up a thread, but I do make use of threads as well.

A Jayco question in a Jayco forum is often a great thread, but a Jayco question in a generic forum or a Tiffin forum is often much less useful. I would put an rv traveling question into an rv traveling blog or website, before or after a generic search, probably after as the generic search would lead to some appropriate rv traveling blogs and website upfront.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote