Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #1

Greyhawk 29mv, 31FK Question

Hello! We are looking at these two models and I am just wondering if a king matress could be used in either if I remove the side table(s).

What is the measurement between the long cabinet and wall(if i remove the right small side table of the 31FK?
Click image for larger version

Name:	31fk floorplan_LI.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	867.5 KB
ID:	29346

What is the measurement between the slide walls with the tables removed of the 29MV?
Click image for larger version

Name:	29mv floorplan_LI.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	887.1 KB
ID:	29347

A regular king is 76X80 and a narrow king is 72X80. We need room for us and Luna the Lab!

Just thinking of all my options before we pull the trigger.
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

Easier to modify for width than length. On our MV the mattress couldn't be any longer and still close the slide. The head of the bed is against the slide wall and the foot end of the bed is tight up against the wardrobe/dresser when the slide is closed.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Easier to modify for width than length. On our MV the mattress couldn't be any longer and still close the slide. The head of the bed is against the slide wall and the foot end of the bed is tight up against the wardrobe/dresser when the slide is closed.
I am modifying for king width. The length is the same.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #4

Wall to wall on the MV is 72". Same length as head to foot.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #5

First off - the 31FK mattress length is *short* queen. It's not 80" long, it's 74" tall. Pretty sure King's don't come in 74".

So if you're doing a King, then you need to solve for both width and length. We measured ours, hoping to get a full sized queen in there and felt there was NOT enough length to make an 80" tall mattress work. The mattress will come close to, if not touch, the wall there are your feet.

To do so, you'd have to first build out the plywood support platform underneath.

I didn't see an easy way to move that side cabinet. That's my side in our 31FK. There's an electric outlet there. It may be easy to remove it, I'm just not sure.

If you're set on a King, or even a full sized Queen, I'd re-think the 31FK...
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #6

Mattress

One modification we plan on making to our 29MV is the addition of a foam strip about 8 inches deep, and the same depth and width of the current mattress that is wrapped in the same covering. When the slide out is retracted, you lift up the foam, allowing the mattress to slide back to its original location. When extended, slide the mattress and install the foam. Sorry this doesn't help with the width, just something to ponder prior to removing material.
Mnxtrik8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
First off - the 31FK mattress length is *short* queen. It's not 80" long, it's 74" tall. Pretty sure King's don't come in 74".

So if you're doing a King, then you need to solve for both width and length. We measured ours, hoping to get a full sized queen in there and felt there was NOT enough length to make an 80" tall mattress work. The mattress will come close to, if not touch, the wall there are your feet.

To do so, you'd have to first build out the plywood support platform underneath. Yep, we can do that.

I didn't see an easy way to move that side cabinet. That's my side in our 31FK. There's an electric outlet there. It may be easy to remove it, I'm just not sure. Yep, we can do that also. We're thinking of putting a shelf over the head of the bed..need to take some measurements first. Or at least a small shelf on the side of the bed we remove the table from. Or maybe a wall pocket or something for glasses, a book, etc.

If you're set on a King, or even a full sized Queen, I'd re-think the 31FK...
Nahhhhh....even if it can't be done, it's not a deal breaker, I really like that layout.

But Lucy...let me splain...
I am not concerned with the length head to toe of the mattress. We are both short. I am concerned with the width of the mattress only and with the cabinet/shelf removal, how much width I can gain in that space. If I have to get a custom mattress made, so that it is not too long for the space, I can do that. We've done it before...just wondering about the measurements. Do you know what they are, by chance?

We'll work something out for sure, but I just know that our last trailer had a queen and man was it cramped. Not a deal breaker if we can't modify, because both of these C's are high on my list.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnxtrik8r View Post
One modification we plan on making to our 29MV is the addition of a foam strip about 8 inches deep, and the same depth and width of the current mattress that is wrapped in the same covering. When the slide out is retracted, you lift up the foam, allowing the mattress to slide back to its original location. When extended, slide the mattress and install the foam. Sorry this doesn't help with the width, just something to ponder prior to removing material.

No worries..I had friends that did that with their short queen murphy bed in their TT. It worked like a charm!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Wall to wall on the MV is 72". Same length as head to foot.
Thanks! That is totaly do-able. A california king is 72" wide. Too long, so that will have to be altered, but definately possible with tempurpedic.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
We've done it before...just wondering about the measurements. Do you know what they are, by chance?
It's in storage now so I can't go out and measure but... off the top of my head I'm sure that side cabinet is not 16" wide. I'd guess it's maybe 10"...

If a queen is 60x80 (a short queen 60x74) and a King 76x80, I'm still skeptical it'll fit. Not to mention how you'd get it thru the door.

If no one chimes in with an exact measurement, and it's still an open question, I'll see if I can't get out to ours with a tape measure.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
It's in storage now so I can't go out and measure but... off the top of my head I'm sure that side cabinet is not 16" wide. I'd guess it's maybe 10"...

If a queen is 60x80 (a short queen 60x74) and a King 76x80, I'm still skeptical it'll fit. Not to mention how you'd get it thru the door.

If no one chimes in with an exact measurement, and it's still an open question, I'll see if I can't get out to ours with a tape measure.
No hurry, Pconroy. A california king is 72" wide..still may be too wide for that space
I'm going to order a tempurpedic (we sleep on a King tempurpedic at home), and it comes compressed in a little 24" square box. But once you open it....BOOM!
If you get a chance, I'd love the measurement! The dealer we saw this C at was 4 hours from us. Maybe if we speak with them tomorrow, I'll ask if they can measure it for me. Thanks for you help and input!
Old 03-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #12

We have a solution!

After going to give the FK a better look through and measure some things up, we've decided that LunatheLab's bed can sit on the box in front of the wardrobe in the bedroom with a small extension, putting her close to us, but not in the bed with us. At least that's what we THINK can happen. Luna may have a different idea, once we camp in it.

Also, we think the mattress seemed kind of comfortable, so no need to switch it out just yet. If we ever do though, I would probably go to a shortened RV King, which will make me happy. I don't think we HAVE TO round the edges like the stock mattress, but we'll cross that bridg if/when we get to it!

Everything is a go with this RV...we pick it up on Saturday!
Old 03-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #13

Sounds like a great plan. I agree you might as well give the mattress a shot. It's there, you can't resell it. Who knows, you may like it.

For some reason that mattress gives my bones a thrashing. I ache all over after one night on that thing. We've got a new Sealy at home - that I love. I heard an ad for the Sealy Cocoon mattress today. 100 night money back guarantee. Might give that a shot.