Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #1

greyhawk battery question

Just wondering what others are doing to charge the battery. I have a greyhawk with a battery shut off switch. It is a rocker switch so I am not sure i it really goes on and off. I was reading you can set this to off to save your battery. Does this mean I don't have to plug in to shore power? When I plug in can I do this with the 30 amp rv power cord to an adaptor to then a extension cord and then plug into my house ? I just replaced a battery for my rv and am just getting familar lwith the rv world, the generator and charging systems, how long does it take to rechage your unit if for example you are down 50% on your generator?

Thanks, for your help!!
ted h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

Save your battery likely means the parasitic drains that will happen to your battery if it is just sitting there for weeks at a time. All those detectors and what not drain your battery. Turning it off allows it to stay fresh when not plugged in or in use for a long period of time.

A group 24 battery house battery will die in a week or two if not plugged in. Travel trailer owners stop this from happening by either pulling the fuse on the battery or disconnecting the battery entirely. Some fancier trailers have the switch.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:58 AM   #3

With the battery disconnect off, plug into shore power. This will keep your battery charged. Depending on year model, your battery charger type may vary. Some older models may need a "battery buddy" installed to keep from boiling your battery.

I plug in using a heavy gauge extension cord at storage, using a 110v/15a adapter. (standard plug). This makes pugging in at storage easier. Since it is only supplying power to the battery charger this is fine.

Check your battery water level regularly and fill only with distilled water. Your going to find that Jayco could have supplied about 6" more battery cable to make this easier, but they did not on most units. You will need 3 hands to do this.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #4

My 2014 came with a Group 27. I upgraded to two group 31 AGM batteries. One is under the bed and the other in the stock location.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #5

The battery switch works well whenever you're parked for extended periods of non use. I have a Genius battery minder installed in my coach and plug that into a 120v plug. It does a great job of keeping my batteries topped off rather than being plugged into 50a. While I have 50a available at home, I prefer to just leave only the Genius plugged in unless I have a need to use an AC.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #6

If you want to know about battery charging check out the blog of HandyBob at HandyBobSolar.Wordpress.com. He comes at it from a solar installation perspective, but the information on battery charging is right on.
BobK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #7

Depending how the battery disconnect switch is wired, it may need to be in the on position for charging by the converter while on shore power.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #8

How long it takes to recharge is based on the amp hour size of the battery and the size on the converter/ charger.

If you have a 100 amp hour battery, at 50%, and you have a 30 amp charger, it won't take long at all.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote