Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #1

Greyhawk - getting 12V to 7-pin receptacle

I recently got a different toad, and was having trouble with the toad battery draining on anything but short trips, so I decided to put in a charging line from the Greyhawk. The place that installed the light kit put in a line from the 6-pin receptacle on the toad, and I connected that through a 30 amp fuse to the toad battery, thought I was good-to-go.
Turns out that at least on my 2012 Greyhawk there is no 12V out of Pin 4 on the 7-pin receptacle on the bumper. Before I go to the trouble of crawling around under the coach, do any of you know whether the receptacle is wired but not connected to the engine battery (I know most Ford pickups with towing kit are this way) so that all I have to do is put in a relay and fuse and connect to the battery, or do I have to run a new wire all the way from receptacle to the engine compartment?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #2

The pin in the 1'oclock position has 12volts. I run a 4-wire umbilical cord but it still has a 7-pin connector. I opened up the 7-pin connector and ran a wire from the the pin that corresponds with the Greyhawk's 1'oclock pin. The wire is zip-tied to the umbilical cord with enough slack so it doesn't tighten up through the turns. 20amp fuse and a diode. Works just fine. Would've gone with the 6-wire cord but the connector is larger and wouldn't fit where I wanted it on our toad.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgermane View Post
The pin in the 1'oclock position has 12volts. I run a 4-wire umbilical cord but it still has a 7-pin connector. I opened up the 7-pin connector and ran a wire from the the pin that corresponds with the Greyhawk's 1'oclock pin. The wire is zip-tied to the umbilical cord with enough slack so it doesn't tighten up through the turns. 20amp fuse and a diode. Works just fine. Would've gone with the 6-wire cord but the connector is larger and wouldn't fit where I wanted it on our toad.
Unfortunately for me Brian, the pin at the 1 o'clock position (pin #4 on most diagrams) has no volts. that is why I asked my question. Did you buy your Greyhawk new? Dis you have ask to have the 12V run to the 7-pin connector?

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #4

Check your fuse box. It is not uncommon to have a second fuse box under the hood. In one position you will always have power to the connector, in a different fuse location you only have power when the tow vehicle is running. I would start by checking the fuse condition, it might be blown, missing, or ???

good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #5

We did purchase new and it had 12volts the first time I checked it. I believe ours has voltage only with the key in the accessory position. From what I understand, that will vary from unit to unit.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, towing, wiring