Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #1

Greyhawk handling

Ok, I know this has been discussed extensively on here, but I am going to bring it up again. I drove home today in a pretty stiff crosswind... add a semi or two in and it seemed like I was fighting the wheel more than normal. I do know that some of you have put thousands into sway bars etc. although for the most part it is not that bad. The rig has the "Jride" that I am sure helps. Would just like to make it a bit better. What are some thoughts? Beefier steering stabilizer? Aftermarket front stabilizer?
Any help would be appreciated.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #2

Following...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Decrows2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #3

We too are feeling your pain. We have an appt for a front-end alignment and caster adjustment next week. After that a beefier/aftermarket sway bar up front. I have heard others adding in a Safe-T Plus steering stabilizer too.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

Mine was a little like yours and what i found was I needed to adjust the rear Helwigs helpers that cured the wag the dog tail for me plus the new stabilizers and shocks, My Helwigs had been adjusted with very little load on them so i cranked the nuts to add more load now I can dive it one handed.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:51 AM   #5

After adjusting the Helwig's , proper alignment and the installation of a Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer, our unit handles pretty good. Just returned from trip to Moab, Yellowstone and many parts of Colorado from Indiana.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #6

My '17 MV29 handles pretty nice in normal weather, but I experienced some white knuckle driving when fighting strong crosswinds in AZ last Nov and in WY & MT returning home this past April. The winds were so bad at Livingston, MT that they closed down I-90 and routed everyone through town and onto the old hwy.

I think it's the nature of the beast when we present a large flat profile to strong air currents crosswise. These things have the aerodynamics of a brick.
leeinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #7

I have a 2016 Grey Hawk 29 ME. My rig has always been difficult to drive. I constantly pulls to the right and sways terribly in crosswind and when trucks pass.

Per Jayco Service, I took it to a local alignment shop that has a great reputation. They found the toe to be way off. I had them check the Helwig suspension helpers, which they said were installed correctly and to specification. The camber and castor was off a little so they reset it as well. Though they had ordered the extenders, after looking at everything they advised that they not put them on. They also told me that after I drove it for 2000 to bring it back if I wasn't happy.

Last week I returned from a 2000 trip and took my rig back to the alignment shop to see if they could do anything to make it handle better. The mechanic drove it on the interstate with me and the first thing ha said was that it really pulls hard to the right. He then worked on it for 3 hours-test driving it after each adjustment. Finally he got his boss and told me and the boss that there was nothing more that he could do. And, and that it still pulled to the right.

They suggested I take it to Ford because it might be a steering box issue. I called Jayco and they agreed and gave me a number to call at Ford to get it checked out. I hope to get it in next week.

Since this is a one horse town when it comes to aligning RV's he says that they have worked in many class c's through the years and normally the adjustments they make take care of the problems.

So if the Ford dealer says everything is fine and that it is just the nature of class c motorhomes to not track or drive well...what do I do next?

Any and all thoughts and comments are very much welcome.

Thanks,

Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #8

It would help if you were to share your actual caster settings.

Caster settings that differ (side to side) can be the cause of pulling left or pulling right .

Normally, to adjust to road crown), the RH caster is always more then LH (CROSS CASTER = LH - RH)).

Further more, on the E450, a caster setting greater then +5 degrees is optimum for handling at highway speeds.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies. I have soaked down the Hellwig helper springs with pb blaster. I will adjust those first. I am going to order a better steering stabilizer, the unit that is installed seems to be undersized. Next an alignment, hopefully this will cure the wandering.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #10

The recomnended changes are..
1 Check tire pressure
2. Alignment
3. Bilstein shocks
4. HD rear anti-sway bar
5. HD steering stabilizer

I had the same issues. Changing over the shocks and the rear anti sway bar was a HUGE improvement. Unfortunately it isn't cheap. But I drive one handed now and I feel a slight bump when semis go by. I'm adding the steering stabilizer just because that is something I can do myself...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #11

If I bought a new car or truck and it wasn't handling properly I would expect the dealer to fix the problem under warranty. Why should this be any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #12

I had a problem when I purchased my Greyhawk 29mv where it pulled to the right and had to hold the wheel to the left to keep it on the road. It was sent to an alignment shop by the dealer beofore I purchased it. Took them three hours to get it aligned properly. Turned out $340 dollars later that a part ( for camber I Believe) had to be ordered and replaced. My RV drives like a dream, it has Jride of course with Hewligs. I am perfectly happy driving it and it tracks straight down the road.
234frjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #13

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
gage112490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #14

I added a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. Big improvement. It was easy to install...took about an hour.
The system just bolts right on the factory bolt holes. The factory stabilizer is useless. You can push it in and out with no effort at all. The Roadmaster unit is stiff as Hell. I couldn't budge it. I had a question about the mounting bracket, so I called their Tech Support and they were terrific.
Since I installed their stabilizer, my Greyhawk is like driving my pickup... solid as a rock. Cross winds and semi 's are a problem of the past.
jdgmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #15

I am looking for a recommendation for a garage in the Pocono PA area to get an alignment and the stablizers installed. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
gage112490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #16

What model class c do you have?
mcadeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #17

Steering issues

2017 Greyhawk 30x, I complained to dealer about the wandering, they told me to take to ford. Ford said they could find nothing wrong. Should I contact factory & complain or just spend more money, replace steering stab & hope that helps?
mcadeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #18

29mv.
jdgmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcadeb View Post
2017 Greyhawk 30x, I complained to dealer about the wandering, they told me to take to ford. Ford said they could find nothing wrong. Should I contact factory & complain or just spend more money, replace steering stab & hope that helps?
You need more caster. Ford ships these cutaways with the caster set at about +3 degrees which is OK for city driving. For highway speeds you want to have at least +5 degrees or more. The Ford specified range is from +1.5 to +7.0 so anything can be interpreted to be "within spec" and OK.

Quote from May 1973 Popular Mechanics:
"If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave, thus necessitating constant corrections in steering."
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #20

Call Jayco service center. They will pay for one alignment. Get a good alignment shop and get r done. Don't let them just do a toe alignment, have them set the caster to +5 at least. I have 17 30x and after alignment and heavier front sway bar it drives like a dream. One thing else, adjust the Hellwig rear helper springs to at least 2 inches. Just my 2 cents worth
rchlap is offline   Reply With Quote