Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #1

Greyhawk toad weight questions

Hi all,

We are looking at buying a 2010 Dodge Dakota crew cab for use as a toad behind our 2013 Greyhawk.

The curb weight of the vehicle (listed, not actually weighed ourselves) is 4,669lbs, towing capacity of the Greyhawk is 5,000lbs. The Dakota is a bit heavier than I thought it was going to be, I'm a little nervous that by the time we add the baseplate, etc, car seats, bikes in the truck bed, that we'll be getting close to that 5,000lbs.

Am I over thinking? Do I have more wiggle room than I realize or is this something I should be cautious about? First toad, lots to learn!

Anyone else towing a Dakota? We settled on it because we need a 6-passenger vehicle that can be flat-towed and under 5,000, and wanted a truck for use at home. There were 3 trucks that we found to fit the bill (the others were the GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado), but we'll have 3 car seats across the rear bench and the Dakota has the most hip room.
lovliefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #2

First let me issue a disclaimer, "I'm no expert on this subject" that being said:

Personally, I don't view this as you over thinking! I view it as exactly what you should be doing! All the criteria and considerations you've noted are right on. I would suggest you weigh the dekota if possible then you know exactly. You can estimate the baseplate but it certainly wouldn't be over ~150 lbs. But you will need to account for fuel. If my memory is correct gasoline weighs approx 6.25 lbs. At this point you can consider what items you may store/haul in the toad.

I wouldn't even consider exceeding the 5k tow limit. The receiver hitch and the chasis (Jayco extended) are not designed to exceed this limit. In my opinion exceeding the limit is a recipe for disaster.

Now if you decide you want to beef up the chasis and upgrade the receiver hitch that's a whole different ballgame.

Good luck!!