Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #21

Here is what Jayco replied about which floor plans can have two A.C's

Thank you for your inquiry and for your interest in Jayco.

With the exception of the 26Y model, all Greyhawks have an option for a second roof air. When you order the second A/C, you actually get two 11,000-BTU air conditioners in place of the one, standard 15,000-BTU A/C.

Thanks again for your note. Please let us know if you have any follow-up questions or needs
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
I noticed on the Jayco site that there is an option for 2 11k AC units instead of the single 15k one. It's still a 30 amp rv though.

Does anyone have this setup??

I'm planning on adding a 2nd AC next spring but will have to run a new 20 amp circuit for it since the 30 amp service won't pull two larger units.

I'm curious if the 2 11k units work well???

This has been a common topic on this forum. I have a white 2018 29 MV and I live so fla. It's hot and humid and I have one 15000 btu A/C . it works fine on the hottest days. Here's the formula, put a cover over the front windshield. leave the sunscreen shades down. Put a reflector panel in the skylight. A couple of fans to circulate the cold air and all is cool. You can put a second A/C in the rear for about $1000 wired separately with a 120 cord and plug to connect to the pedestal. This perceived impediment ( one A/C) need not be a problem with a little common sense.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:07 PM   #23

Quote:
I noticed on the Jayco site that there is an option for 2 11k AC units instead of the single 15k one. It's still a 30 amp rv though.

I'm planning on adding a 2nd AC next spring but will have to run a new 20 amp circuit for it since the 30 amp service won't pull two larger units.

I have them on my Greyhawk and they work flawlessly. Each unit pulls 9.5 amps for a total of 19 amps. You can run the microwave along with it as it 900 watts or 7.5 amps for a total of 25.5 amps. Of course you don't start then all at the same time, but I've had my rig in 100 plus temperatures and stayed very comfortable inside.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:19 PM   #24

2019 Greyhawk 30X with the two AC option and 30A shoreline service. The Power Management System, a Precision Circuits unit which is standard equipment, will shed loads (idle the other high-current devices) like the electric water heater to favor the A/C and refrigerator and keep the total current draw under 30A.

On our shake-out weekend trip in southern California at the end of the summer, we had a cool coach and safe food, but luke-warm water. The controller boards for the propane side of the hot water heater were DOA, so we couldn't heat water with propane, and the controller had the electric side of the hot water heater playing second fiddle to the A/C units.
ljh684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh684 View Post
2019 Greyhawk 30X with the two AC option and 30A shoreline service. The Power Management System, a Precision Circuits unit which is standard equipment, will shed loads (idle the other high-current devices) like the electric water heater to favor the A/C and refrigerator and keep the total current draw under 30A.

On our shake-out weekend trip in southern California at the end of the summer, we had a cool coach and safe food, but luke-warm water. The controller boards for the propane side of the hot water heater were DOA, so we couldn't heat water with propane, and the controller had the electric side of the hot water heater playing second fiddle to the A/C units.
Do you have an on demand water heater or a tank type? Just trying to put it all together.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #26
Site Team

The on demand water heaters are only propane. No electric option.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
Do you have an on demand water heater or a tank type? Just trying to put it all together.
With tank, not tankless. The tank will run off either electric shore power 30A service, or propane.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #28

Link below for the Precision Circuits power control system (PCS) 2-page manual, which describes how it operates. The PCS controls each A/C unit separately, and can shed one or both if required to prevent the campsite power pole 30A breaker from tripping.
Overview: Fully automatic Power Control System which requires little to no user interface. The display is there to help the RV user understand power management and the function of the Midi-PCS. The Midi-PCS monitors the total AC current of an RV and prevents circuit breaker tripping by momentarily shedding up to five loads. As the user turns on additional appliances (such as a microwave, coffee pot, or hair dryer), the Midi-PCS can shed the loads that it controls, (such as the water heater & air conditioner). As the user's selected appliances are turned off, and a minimum of 2 minutes has expired, the Midi-PCSwill automatically turn power back on each of the shed loads in reverse sequence.
https://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com...i-Manual-B.pdf
Old 03-06-2021, 11:04 PM   #29

So first post in some time here. I’ve got a 2013 Greyhawk 31FS. Currently have the single AC with cabin vents. We have the same issue as everyone with the unit keeping up in warm temperatures and kids going in and out. The vent in the bedroom is a power vent with a thermostat. What are your thoughts on adding a second unit?
DayTripper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:51 AM   #30

I have 2 in mine and they work really good
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:10 AM   #31

Check ceiling vent sliders

We have 2 a/c's & we're very happy with how well they work--one at a time. The dealer checkout guy was upfront that 30a would not power both simultaneously. Unless I missed it, I did not see anyone suggest checking your ceiling vent sliders. On mine, each ceiling vent has 2 sliders kind of like car a/c vent controls, except these direct where the cool air goes rather than the source (fresh air/recirculate). Slider to "open" dumps a cool air column straight down to the floor. Very little gets to the ceiling vents, if any. Slider to "closed" blocks this opening & directs all air into the duct system & vents throughout the house, not just one half or the other. So I will close all sliders then run the 2 a/c's alternately just to work them both. Each one cools the entire house very well. Central Calif we have 100+ temps through the summer & 110+ for multiple weeks. As others have said, close curtains & pull shades too, just like when it gets hot at home. I have the front-cap window, that gets shut first when it heats up outside
Old 03-07-2021, 07:04 AM   #32

Thanks for the reply’s. My concern is that the main unit is a 15,000 btu unit and even installing a 11k unit will be too much.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:10 AM   #33

Living in Houston having a second AC was a requirement for any RV we owned. This took most of the class c’s out of our buying considerations. Not wanting to pay the cost for a supper C or a rig with 50 amp made Jayco our best option. No regrets. The second AC works great and keeps the rig comfortable. Well worth the cost of the AC to get. I can not imagine why someone in the South that camps here in the warmer months would not pay for it. Much cheaper to just do it up front. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:13 AM   #34

RV Airflow

I’m hoping this item negates the ‘need’ for the 2nd AC. Good YouTube reviews, apparently Grand Design is installing these in some of their product, etc.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper2020 View Post
Living in Houston having a second AC was a requirement for any RV we owned. This took most of the class c’s out of our buying considerations. Not wanting to pay the cost for a supper C or a rig with 50 amp made Jayco our best option. No regrets. The second AC works great and keeps the rig comfortable. Well worth the cost of the AC to get. I can not imagine why someone in the South that camps here in the warmer months would not pay for it. Much cheaper to just do it up front. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
So I’m guessing you got the factory option for 2 units? Are they both 11k btu?
Old 03-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #36

I used to have a 2017 Greyhawk. It had the 2 ac units of 11k each. In the electrical schematics for the Greyhawk(not the Redhawk), There is a red power line that terminates just forward of the rear vent to power a second AC. If you pull the vent surround off and reach in feel around you should be able to locate it. If you have a one 15K unit now,I think you would need to replace it with two 11 K units to keep the energy management system happy. There is no heat pump in the 11 K units. In general, it's a good idea to have 2 AC units in a rig thats 27 foot and over. A lot of folks make do with one, but it's kind of a hassle.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
I used to have a 2017 Greyhawk. It had the 2 ac units of 11k each. In the electrical schematics for the Greyhawk(not the Redhawk), There is a red power line that terminates just forward of the rear vent to power a second AC. If you pull the vent surround off and reach in feel around you should be able to locate it. If you have a one 15K unit now,I think you would need to replace it with two 11 K units to keep the energy management system happy. There is no heat pump in the 11 K units. In general, it's a good idea to have 2 AC units in a rig thats 27 foot and over. A lot of folks make do with one, but it's kind of a hassle.
Do you happen to know the manufacture and the amps your 11k had.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #38

Quote:

My GreyHawk came with 2 AC unit. now keep in mind as far as power requirements and usage. I learned from the grey hawk dealer that even tho you have both units on at the same time they will never be cooling at the same time. The Blower fans will be blowing in both of them same time but the air conditioning mode will alternate between the both of them. Keeps power demand down.
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
So has anybody gotten a 2AC unit? Is the coach still 30 amps? Or do the 2 11k units work in tandem w/ the 30 amps but 'thou shalt not run the microwave'?
The blowers will run on both at same time but they will alternate in the cooling mode. My unit is 30 amp. As far as the Micro I'd like to think the rocket scientist that built it would allow to cook and be cool at the same time.
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:25 PM   #40

One 15,000 BTUH air conditioner which runs constantly versus two 11,000 BTUH air conditioners, but only one runs at a time. Which arrangement works better?
Something seems wonky here.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote