Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #1

heater question

I have a 2007 Jayco Seneca 35 gs and we did our first shakedown cruise in it. I found that when i turn on the furnace it works fine but when it gets to temp then is shuts down then after a very short time minute or so it restarts again am i doing something wrong also there is a bedroom stat but that has the heat set blanked out also there is another stat out on the wall by the dinning room table would anyone know what that is for thanks Don
stimpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #2

It may be it turns off when the air temp coming out drops to a certain temperature, but, turns back on when the residual heat in the exchanger heats the air above the point it is set to turn on. In other words, your heater turns off, then the fan turns off, then the fan turns on once again to cool the heater down. Just an opinion, I know some home heaters will operate like this.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #3

It's not clear if "... shuts down then after a very short time minute or so it restarts.." is only the fan restarting or if the furnace restarts.

wags999 describes conditions for ONLY the fan restarting.

Another case could be when the factory RV thermostat was replaced because the delay was too long after the furnace and fan shut off. The long delay allowed the RV inside temp to get uncomfortably cool before the furnace would restart.

So, a different thermostat was installed to would allow the furnace to cycle frequently and keep the RV inside temperature more even.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #4

The bedroom stat is a duplication of the front with out the furnace and only runs the air conditioner in the bedroom, it made it easier on JAYCO to only have one type to stock. You could use it to add the optional heat strip in the bed room ac, but you would also need to buy a new contol box and run another wire from the stat to the ac unit.

The stat on the the fridge wall is for the fantastic fan in front. You can set it to open run and close automatically based on inside temp if your not.

The shortcycling could be caused by numerous issues, but you have to remember the fan will continue to run after the burner shuts off. It will then restart when the stat calls for heat. How cold is the outside temp?