Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #1

Hello Jayco Owners

My name is David Gary and I'm with Ramco Engineering's customer service department. We are always interested in feedback from the users of our products and try to make ourselves accessible in every possible way, so please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns, or just to say hi!
RamcoCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #2

Jayco products...

Well hello, and thanks for soliciting comments!

Overall, we love our unit... had some issues that were resolved by the folks at the Jayco Factory Service Center. They are really a GREAT group of people, and did amazing things for us.

The things that leave us shaking our heads are issues that appeared to be caused by, perhaps, designers who have never camped in a motorhome...

Such as:

Placing the antenna amplifier behind the TV, so that you have to climb up on the bunk, rotate the TV out, crawl behind it with a flashlight, and push the button. Really?

No light over the bathroom mirror so that your face is always in darkness when shaving (or Dear Wife putting on makeup).

Designing in a clear panel over the indicator lights (water pump, water heater, etc.), than placing the lighted switches so low that they can't be seen thru the clear panel.

Placing the generator controls where you can't use them from the cockpit. When we need to run the roof AC while driving, we have to pull over, and go back and start the genset.

Stuff like that, that a "camper" would have thought of...

And the biggest one, because it's a safety issue...

No spare tire, and not even a place to mount one.
As most campers know, a tire generally blows at night, in the rain, and in an unsafe are.
The motor club comes right out, but the can't get a replacement tire 'till the stores open the next day... or if it's Saturday night, you're stuck on the side of the road 'till Monday morning. At which time you will pay two or three times what the tire is worth, and it won't be as good as the brand that you have now.

Please, provide a place to carry the mounted spare... In the 23XM, about the only place that I can think of would be under the unit, but I wouldn't know how to go about doing it... Factory Retrofit would be great!!

Thanks!

Ed
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:39 AM   #3

Im assuming that your company makes the mirrors for the motorhomes if im correct i will tell you this. Im very dissapointed in the side view camera and would like it very much if you could tell me how to disable them. The picture is poor and it takes too long for the turn signal to activate the camera. By the time the picture appears on the screen ive already changed lanes or turned. Also My greyhawk is just over a year old and has been stored indoors over the winter. This spring i noticed moisture inside the camera lenses. Normally i would bring this right back to the dealer while im still under warranty but i dont think i will even bother to have them replaced since they never worked well since new. Also the radio is terrible i would rather have have the factory ford radio then this one with all of the bells and whistles that is so impossiable to use that i can only change the radio station if im at a long traffic light. Other then that i had a few minor issues which jayco was very helpful about. i definatly would buy from jayco again and recomend to a friend.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:03 AM   #4

Mirror delay

Morning Again Greyhawk,

I don't have access to my rig right now (In the shop this week). But I seem to remember when I was playing with the Jennsen settings there was a setting to determine the delay for the cameras... Not sure if that is a delay from the time of activating the turn signal or deactivation???

I do have to agree with you on the quality of the radio... The Jennsen equipment is garbage in my opinion. But with the number of things they are trying to make it do I suspect the number of manufacturers is very limited. Radio signal is horrible, although that may be more from the position of the antenna underneath the cabover then any fault of the reciever. And I really don't understand why you put in a unit capable of utilizing satellite radio but then don't equip the MH with the satellite antenna???

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:06 AM   #5

Good morning Greyhawk. First, let me say that I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your cameras. I'm not familiar with the Jensen products used by Jayco, but part of the picture quality issue could be from the adapters used by Jayco to make our cameras compatible with the monitor units they use. Feel free to contact me at 800-321-4819 or dgary@ramco-eng.com if you would like to discuss things further.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #6

I just bought a 2016 Greyhawk last week. The side cameras worked fine when it was dry. I drove a long distance in the rain on an interstate and when the camera lens got wet, I couldn't see anything. They worked well when dry.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #7

Thank you for that info....I will definitely pass it along!
Old 07-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
Wyn

Hello David, I have a 29MV, the side camera's are virtually useless due to the delay in turning on after the turn signal is activated. Also, when turning, I prefer to look where I am going, not looking down at a video screen in the dashboard. My unit has the Clarion infotainment system that is very difficult to operate, and as Griswald One said, you cannot change radio stations unless you are at a looooong red light.

Probably not a Ramco issue, but not having a spare tire is not a good thing, at the very least, Jayco should offer a spare tire carrier as an option.

Thanks for making yourself available to us. (I hope we do not 'rag' on you too much)
Wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #9

David please allow me to add my two cents here. My wife and I are the owners of a 2015 Jayco Seneca 37RB and we absolutely love our unit. However I would like to meet the engineer who designed where the outdoor shower is located. Does the engineer realize that you have to stand straddling the sewar hose while you rinse off? Even more interesting is the fact that the Cable TV hook up is located right above the cold/hot dials for the outdoor shower. This of course means that the cable wire lies on the ground right where the excess water is running as you are rinsing off. Did the engineer not realize that a human, standing in a puddle of water with a cable TV wire running thru it is probably not a very good idea?

I agree with others that all of the engineers who design these units should first be required to take one out to a campsite and hook up for a week. I think they would have a very different take on the designs after they do so
Howard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #10

Ramco thanks for the reply can you just clarify are you here for all jayco concerns or just the mirrors. Back to the mirror issue for now lol one problem i have run into while driving is when i have to cross at an intersection or merge on to a road where the intrsecting roads are not 90 degrees to eachother. At a certian point i loose complete visability of the road on my left since it is being blocked by the motorhomes body. This being due to the van cab being narrower then the motorhome. When i approach roads like this i will move the drivers mirror as far out as it goes to get some visibility some times i will even have to open the window and push the mirror arm foward to get the right angle. I hope i explained this well enough for you to understand. This is not a jayco issue it is a class c issue. My question is can you possiably mount the side cameras on the body of the motorhome to correct this blind spot issue. Im sure im not the only one who has run into this issue. And thanks again for comming out to a public forum to hear some of our concerns.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:28 AM   #11

I've got pretty thick skin, so I can handle the ragging lol. Again, I'm not familiar with the systems used by Jayco for monitoring the camera system. We use Zone Defense cameras which are made to be used with the Zone Defense backup systems. I would think that there is some type of setting that could be adjusted in the radio/monitor to change the delay of whatever triggers the cameras on your coach.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:31 AM   #12

Greyhawk, we only provided the mirrors for Jayco. We do offer a mini-side camera that mounts to the body of the coach; it just was not spec'd out to be used by Jayco.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:26 PM   #13

My 2 cents.

I have had my Jayco Greyhawk for 3 years and have no issues with mirrors or cameras. The backup camera did get wet once and was hard to see, but that's what the wife is for.

I agree about the delay in the camera coming on when indicating, but as someone else stated, I don't use it for lane changes I relay on my own eyes.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #14

Cameras

The cameras are certainly an issue, we've already replaced the rear view camera once because it stopped working in the dark. Now the new one has quit working in the dark also... sigh

It's close to useless anyway, as it only works in reverse... even though the manual clearly states that all you have to do is push the power button to get it to come on.

Found out at the Jayco Factory that it got wired to the back-up light power, instead of an always hot wire from the battery. Another thing that's on my list to fix (like the inverter outlet turning off when the ignition is on - at least THAT was an easy fix).

Very frustrating!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post

Found out at the Jayco Factory that it got wired to the back-up light power, instead of an always hot wire from the battery. Another thing that's on my list to fix (like the inverter outlet turning off when the ignition is on - at least THAT was an easy fix).
Interesting that the wiring is different between the model types. My Rig is a 2015 Greyhawk and the camera is definetly on a hot wire. I use the rear camera full time when driving without issue. I did have to make some adjustments in the Jenssen settings to allow me to do that though.

There is one problem with it that I found, the mounting bracket is to short so you can't get the full range of motion on the pivot point because the bolt on the back of the camera makes contact with the bracket. As it stands I have a beatiful view of my bumper and the hood of my toad. My next mod will be grinding a corner of that bolt off so I can get the tilt I want out of the camera and be able to see the horizon behind me.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #16

FYI, the only cameras that come from Ramco are the lower convex cameras, not the rear cameras.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #17

Ramco mirror replacement.

I have been trying to find out how to go about replacing a damaged ramco drivers side mirror assy on my 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV. I really need to find a source for a replacement but so far no luck. Perhaps someone on this forum can help me out and point me in the right direction.
Thanks, Joe Shaw
Joe Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #18

Hello Joe. You probably have our black 1350 series with the camera in the lower convex (Jayco #0220427). We are currently shut down due to the pandemic, but have you contacted Jayco service parts? They may have one in stock if you're in a rush. The way things look right now, we may be shut down until the end of the month.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #19

I disabled them about a month after owning. They weren't adjusted to actually see anything other than the side of the motorhome. The only way it would make any sense to have them is if they were right in front of me with a dedicated screen.

I'd actually rather have cameras on the top of the motorhome with a wide angle lens looking on either side.

Even better would be a dashcam style setup with a larger screen that would record and have the 4 cameras (front, rear and 2 side).
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #20

This is an old post. Doubt Dave is monitoring it. But what the heck. Took a bit to find your website; https://www.ramco-eng.com/

I do not have a MH. I was looking through your product listing, https://shop.ramco-eng.com/collections/exterior-faucets. The one thing I do not like is my outside shower enclosure (F-SA170-WT). Key element it is to small. As I am putting the wand away, I turn one of the valves just slightly and get a small water leak. If I am using the pump, I will hear the pump cycling. If on city water, I find a large muddy puddle. I would like to see a little more space to get the hose wrapped up inside. Also It would be great if the cover had some insulation value to it. Here in Minnesota, it is common for us to go camping in 20 degree weather. I am always concerned that my outdoor shower will freeze up on me.

Not sure if it is a Ramco product, in my TT. But I hate that my bathroom sink does not have any type of strainer on on the drain. Always concerned that something is going to fall down the drain.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1350 series, 1750 series, class a, class c, mirror