Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #21

Ok Guys where do you exactly take these measurments? Is it from the top of the hellwig spring to the bottom of the oem leaf spring?
Thanks
ninjafreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjafreek View Post
Ok Guys where do you exactly take these measurments? Is it from the top of the hellwig spring to the bottom of the oem leaf spring?
Thanks
Yes! I cut a piece of 2x4 to 2" and used that as a spacer.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #23

Ok Thanks I just had my drivetrain re aligned and shafts balanced I asked the driveline guy that did the work about this.
He said these are strickly for payload capacity I wander if it will help the sway and actually maybe even help stabilize the unit when parked, Cause mine moves a lot when we walk around in it. I weigh about 175 and wife is only 110 and she actually moves it around as well.
I know this is no replacement for jacks of course.
Thanks for the response.
ninjafreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Thanks
I took the measurement from the bottom of the Hellwig to the top of the main spring. The stock measurements for my 2017 31 FS from these locations was 4 in the front and 3 in the back. It was exact.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Ok Thanks I just had my drivetrain re aligned and shafts balanced I asked the driveline guy that did the work about this.
He said these are strickly for payload capacity I wander if it will help the sway and actually maybe even help stabilize the unit when parked, Cause mine moves a lot when we walk around in it. I weigh about 175 and wife is only 110 and she actually moves it around as well.
I know this is no replacement for jacks of course.
Thanks for the response.
We're a family of five and I'm going to offer up a guess that the Hellwig adjustment won't help that much for stabilizing when parked.

The only thing that seems to help that is the leveling jacks.

Oddly enough, I didn't think our Greyhawk needed any adjusting. But, this last weekend, it was like driving a different beast. With a full tank of water, it wandered all over and took constant sawing back and forth on the steering wheel to keep it pointed straight.

Made driving the switchbacks thru RMNP a bit "interesting".

The coming back empty and it was back to it's old, manageable self. I think I'll put the Hellwig adjustment on our to-do list now.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #26

Spring Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinator View Post
I have 17k miles on our 2016 Greyhawk 29 MV; it handles like it's glued to railroad tracks. Those Hellwigs need no adjustment at all. Our coach drives like a dream.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
I have a 2017 29MV and the front end seems light. Do you have the measurements of the front and rear U-bolts? I want to compare to mine. I had the front end aligned which help the steering but it still feels light. The tech said I needed a helper spring to shift weight to the front. I don't want to buy something if I can get by with an adjustment.
Thanks
temalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #27

subscribed
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:25 AM   #28

Hellwig adjustments / reasoning was covered thoroughly in another post. Here is my writeup for the adjustment of said springs:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post400640

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #29

I got real deep into this issue a while back, here is my post on it.

Before my last post here, I spent a ton of time talking to the factory, Hellwig, and inspecting my own rig. Long story short, they should be at 4 inches in the front and 3 inches in the rear. Three inches gives you an additional 2,750 pounds of support. If you want more you can adjust the rear down to two inches which gives the max 3500 pounds of support. It is completely acceptable to have the front/back at different measurements. The real work of the Hellwig as configured on these rigs is at the rear shackle.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #30

When I emailed Hellwig they told me to drop them down to 2 inches front and back of each spring. So that's what I did.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
When I emailed Hellwig they told me to drop them down to 2 inches front and back of each spring. So that's what I did.
My rig feels good with three inches, but maybe it would feel even better at two inches. I never run full water, but I thought that the rear ride might be more harsh at 2 inches. Yours feels good ?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #32

They all ride hard on the rear end, but yes it drives well. Unless you have a shorter Redhawk you’re probably close to Max GVWR anyway - it’s a no-brainer.