Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2017, 03:23 AM   #1

Hellwig helper. Springs

My 2006 greyhawk 31SS has these helper Springs from the factory. After reading about these not being adjusted correctly on the newer coaches with "J-Ride" I checked mine... There is at least a 4 inch gap between the helper springs and the regular spring pack. So from what I've read, that is incorrect. So this has been like this for the last 11 years??
Suprzsuprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #2

My 2017 31fs springs are the same. I would have thought they would have got it right after all that time. I'm going to fix it, supposedly someone here talked to the Hellwig people who say it should not be 4 inches.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #3

I have a 2017 Greyhawk,J ride.With all the talk about the 2" adjustment that some say is the proper adjustment,i went under mine to have a look see.They are about 3 1/2 give or take.The thing is my coach rides so nice,tracts in a straight line very good without any modifactions at all.I think I will just leave everything alone.Tightening up the springs I think will make a rougher ride.The old saying,"If it aint broke,dont fix it"
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #4

Tightening them will put my bias towards the front axle. They are load levelers.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
I have a 2017 Greyhawk,J ride.With all the talk about the 2" adjustment that some say is the proper adjustment,i went under mine to have a look see.They are about 3 1/2 give or take.The thing is my coach rides so nice,tracts in a straight line very good without any modifactions at all.I think I will just leave everything alone.Tightening up the springs I think will make a rougher ride.The old saying,"If it aint broke,dont fix it"

Mine too on a 2017 29 W. Rides and tracks great.. I agree with not fixing something that is not broken !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #6

Jopopsy,what do you mean by"put my bias towards the front axle" also; Tigthening the
Helwig springs doesnt stiffen the ride? Thanks for any help.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #7

Tighten the springs - send more weight forward to the front axle. They help the camper not squat as much in the rear.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:25 PM   #8

My 2012 Greyhawk 31SS purchased new, with Hellwig springs. Like everyone else's, they appeared to be adjusted wrong, but advice from my dealer was to leave them alone, and if Jayco thinks they need to be adjusted they will notify owners. So I haven't touched mine. I don't have any complaints about how it drives.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky46 View Post
My 2012 Greyhawk 31SS purchased new, with Hellwig springs. Like everyone else's, they appeared to be adjusted wrong, but advice from my dealer was to leave them alone, and if Jayco thinks they need to be adjusted they will notify owners. So I haven't touched mine. I don't have any complaints about how it drives.

I totally agree with your decision. If it ain't broke ..... don't fix it !!

Old 08-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #10

Before my last post here, I spent a ton of time talking to the factory, Hellwig, and inspecting my own rig. Long story short, they should be at 4 inches in the front and 3 inches in the rear. Three inches gives you an additional 2,750 pounds of support. If you want more you can adjust the rear down to two inches which gives the max 3500 pounds of support. It is completely acceptable to have the front/back at different measurements. The real work of the Hellwig as configured on these rigs is at the rear shackle.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
I have 17k miles on our 2016 Greyhawk 29 MV; it handles like it's glued to railroad tracks. Those Hellwigs need no adjustment at all. Our coach drives like a dream.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Demco Stay n Play
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinator View Post
I have 17k miles on our 2016 Greyhawk 29 MV; it handles like it's glued to railroad tracks. Those Hellwigs need no adjustment at all. Our coach drives like a dream.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Mine too. 29W.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #13

I never adjusted mine on my 2016 29MV and it drives very well.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I never adjusted mine on my 2016 29MV and it drives very well.

Same with my 2017. My friend just today took delivery of his new Jamboree and it rides like a 4 wheel drive 1 ton truck !!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:20 PM   #15

I just bought a 2018 26xd and the steering feels very light. It's really noticable when you hit a bump going over overpasses the steering wheel seems like the front end is really light. Could this be out of adjustment cause this/
I noticed the stabilizer bar is really small I read about that as well
Any help appreciated
ninjafreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #16

I tightened mine to two inches front and rear. What I thought was a good ride was made LOTS better after the adjustment. We have a 31fs with a long heavy overhang on the rear so each unit may respond differently. When Helwig puts them on, they have no idea which model is going on the RV so I assume they are all set to one preset level.

I tow a fairly heavy race car trailer a fair amount of the time with mine and if I could get even more spring in the rear, I would.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #17

Cool I also Drag Race Bikes I haven't pulled my trailer yet I have downsized to a 7x14 so I don't think that will be a problem.
ninjafreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #18

Spend the 20 minutes under the RV and adjust them properly. You will be happy you did.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #19

My rig was a nice drive without the adjustment (4 - 5") so I was hesitant to make the adjustment. When I did make the adjustment (down to 2 - 2 1/2") I could tell no difference in the driveability.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
I tightened mine to two inches front and rear. What I thought was a good ride was made LOTS better after the adjustment. We have a 31fs with a long heavy overhang on the rear so each unit may respond differently. When Helwig puts them on, they have no idea which model is going on the RV so I assume they are all set to one preset level.

I tow a fairly heavy race car trailer a fair amount of the time with mine and if I could get even more spring in the rear, I would.
x2.
Try it, it's not permanent, if you don't like it adjust it back to where it was. Don't be afraid to experiment you'll never know till you try it. I did and found it made a so-so ride a very good ride.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote