Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2016, 05:44 AM   #1

Help Investigate Possible Salvage "Fraud"

Just bought used 2001 Jayco Class C M Home. After fixing a few things including nearly $5K transmission I am really starting to wonder about history of this vehicle. Carfax shows that Driveline and Engine Rewiring repairs were done a year B4 vehicle first Registered or Sold.

Work was done by a Chevy Dealer in Ogden Utah. Experian "Auto Check Report" does not contain the two repair records.

Anyone know how a M Home gets delivered to a dealership? Are they simply driven by someone from the factory? Shipped by rail? Never thought about it.

I wonder if this thing was damaged in transit from the factory or something?

It stayed in Utah until Jan. 2015 and then was in Idaho for 2-3 years until I came along and bought it. Now I find out Idaho EXEMPTS RV's from having to disclose "salvage or rebuilt" info on titles.

I feel like I have probably been duped big time and don't know what if anything I can do. Any suggestions appreciated! I never would have bought it if "Auto Check Report" hadn't looked so good. They gave it a 3 owners, low mileage and overall 40 out of 41 on their scale. (A very good report)
Haynesnorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:50 AM   #2

I myself don't know of a way other than carfax to check a vehicles history. as far as mechanicals that's one of the Achilles' heels of older motor homes with low miles. They don't get driven much and that is hard on drivetrain components. You don't mention the driveline is chevy based or ford but you could do some research on the components and problems associated with that particular year and see if there were many problems with the transmissions and engine components
Old 05-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #3

Oh and as to how most of them are delivered typically they are driven to dealers by delivery people
Old 05-22-2016, 06:00 AM   #4

They are all driven to the dealer as Paintinfool said. Problems could have been discovered while being taken for a test drive or there could have been mech issues that were discovered while being delivered that dealer had repaired before selling.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:03 AM   #5

Thanks "Paintfool"

Its on a chevy 3500 Express Cutaway. While it was in Trans shop I ordered a new hitch bar. When I took old "Hidden Hitch" 3500# bar off I discovered rear bolt holes both cracked and fatigued so it must have had some extreme toung weight overloading it for X amount of time. That would explain tranny being fried after only 23,000 miles!

BUT - doesn't explain Drive Line/U Joint repairs and Engine Rewiring repairs done a year B4 "sold". Something unusual happened in year B4 sold.

Monday I will try to contact Utah DMV to see if they can tell me anything.

Also will try to contact Jayco to see if they can match the Coach Ser. No. to the Chevy VIN.

Also - where was this thing originally shipped to. Could have been in accident or something on way to dealership?
Old 05-22-2016, 06:06 AM   #6

Could be but I know it is also not uncommon for the chassis that they build the motorhome on to have issues right out of the gat too so who knows ... good luck with your research
Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 AM   #7

Thanks Everyone. I guess mainly what I want to figure out is if a so called "Branded" title was hidden from me.

I can't go after private seller in Idaho or probably anyone else. I just have to decide if I keep it and "eat my mistakes" or try and unload it to next fool and that is when "wrecked / salvaged" issue will bite me for 2nd time!

Utah also has an exemption that allows huge repairs to be done w/o "branding title" as long as work is on a "single issue" and done within 10 days and some other hard to figure out perameters?!

Don't think I will be buying any out of state vehicles again. I got fooled into it because of a great experience buying a wheelchair van in Idaho a few years ago.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:24 AM   #8

Since it is on a Chevy chassis, if you have a good relationship with a local Chevy dealer, they will be able to look it up and tell you a lot that it has been through. Any work done by a Chevrolet dealer should be in their nation wide system. They might tell you they can't look it up but they can. Just depends on how well they know and like you. Any warranty work and any major repairs should be on their system.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynesnorm View Post
- doesn't explain Drive Line/U Joint repairs and Engine Rewiring repairs done a year B4 "sold". Something unusual happened in year B4 sold.
Can't address wiring issue, but drive line, u-joint repairs have been discussed extensively on here. Most chassis were stretched by Mor-Ryde before JAYCO built the MH. There could have easily been an out of alignment driveshaft.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:36 AM   #10

How do you go about getting the experian auto check? on line?
malysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:25 AM   #11

AutoCheck.com

"Auto Check" is just Experian's version of "Carfax". Until now I thought it was better than Carfax. But in this case Carfax Info was more extensive and detailed containing Dealer Names and "work orders".

Autocheck had the same Registration & Title info but NONE of the Repairs Info.

Dates slightly different so makes you wonder how and why any info gets on these reports and how accurate it really is.