Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #1

helwig helper springs

before having job done on my 29 red hawk, did anyone cut the u bolts, on mine it looks like the back one is going to hit the muffler, and the front ones would rub on the sway bar if the bolts were not cut back, any suggestions before i have it done -thanks
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
Wyn

I have a Greyhawk 29MV and had the Hellwigs adjusted to 2", the u-bolts did not need to be cut and I do not have any interference with the bolts. By the way, the adjustment made a world of difference in the handling of my rig.
Wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #3

On my new 2015mv Greyhawk I did have to cut one of the bolts that came in contact with something I forgot what..seems stuff under there could be in slightly different locations...a hacksaw and my old 70 year body was pooped...but the result well worth the effort...
Anyone could proobably do this job with a few of the right tools in my opinion..it's not Rocket Science.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:00 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
Interested in finding out more on adjustments to H springs. Who does the work, Jayco or private or self. Also what type of issues did you have? Do you feel it could help with rear swaying when a Truck approaches from rear and pass at 55+ mph. Any info would be helpful, Thanks
1ST RV Newbie
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Interested in finding out more on adjustments to H springs. Who does the work, Jayco or private or self. Also what type of issues did you have? Do you feel it could help with rear swaying when a Truck approaches from rear and pass at 55+ mph. Any info would be helpful, Thanks
1ST RV Newbie
This was an issue discussed by several last year in the thread: "Warning suspension problems - Hellwig Springs adjusted incorrectly from the factory" which is accessible by searching key words to this headline.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

There's a lot reading about it in this thread. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...ory-23499.html
Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #7

Mine is in for service as I type. I asked the dealer to inspect the springs and what not. I'm told they are where they are supposed to be and they do not recommend touching them. I even asked them to call Jayco. They're not calling Hellwig though.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:17 AM   #8

this is covered extensively in this Jayco blog...
of course the dealer won't do anything...if you want most of the little stuff done you learn to do it yourself in my opinion....
there are pictures showing the two sets of springs, the Helwig and the factory...with a re-adjusted gap of 2 inches between them...
I did this adjustment after basically loading up my 2105 Greyhawk 29mv...so to compensate for the actual loaded weight...not the adjustment set at the factory with no load..
The ride is better, the rear end is up higher. a good thing for less bottoming out...
It is not a big job, with a breaker bar to loosen up the bolts, and the corect socket and wrench...one of the bolts when cinched down came into interference with the tailpipe as I recall..that was the hardest part, sawing a bit off the bolt...
I think this adjustment is well worth the time and effort...
by the way I put steel rollers on the trailer hitch frame to help with low clearance on the back end like driveways etc...
A better ride..yes, less sway too...cause less slop in the original spring adjustment.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:33 AM   #9

I got under the coach yesterday, front clearance was about 5" on both sides, and rear was around 3" 1/2- 4" on both rear. No load other then 3/4 tank of gas. I will be getting a front end alignment today to see if that could be contributing to front wandering.
Thanks
Old 02-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #10

My coach handles fine on the road. I have no issues with it. I'm hesitant to play w/ the springs (esp. if Jayco tells me not to). I know others on this forum have reported improvements. I also know shifting more weight bias forward could help handling, but I wonder how those front tires are sitting weight wise once loaded up w/ gear and family?

Old 02-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #11

I was also hesitant to make the adjustment. My rig already drove and rode much better than any previous MH. I made the adjustment anyway and can tell no difference in handling or ride. I have a hunch that I could have been one of the lucky ones to have a properly aligned front end. Perhaps if the front end alignment isn't quite right the handling could improve with the the adjustment. Just guessing.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #12

I had mine aligned before I picked it up. Maybe that has something to do with it. The dealer took it to a special shop that handles the E450s. Been using them for years they said.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I got under the coach yesterday, front clearance was about 5" on both sides, and rear was around 3" 1/2- 4" on both rear. No load other then 3/4 tank of gas. I will be getting a front end alignment today to see if that could be contributing to front wandering.
Thanks
If the alignment doesn't solve the wandering, inflate the tires to the maximum printed on the sidewall and see if that helps. IMHO, tire inflation on door stickers etc. leaves the sidewalls 'squishy' for a softer ride, but that softer ride is often at the expense of good handling.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #14

My question is to you guys that got the alignment, did Jayco pay for that or did you do it out of pocket. I think mine is off.
86gt5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #15

Jayco paid. Or Ford did. Somebody paid, but it wasn't me and I'm positive it wasn't the dealer.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I also know shifting more weight bias forward could help handling, but I wonder how those front tires are sitting weight wise once loaded up w/ gear and family?
I hit the CAT scales with our 31FK last year. We were fully loaded for a week long trip with full fuel, LP, and FW tanks. Occupants were DW, me and two grandkids. We have the forward kitchen which puts the loaded pantry in front. The front axle was overloaded by 140 pounds. A Greyhawk MV may be a different story, but you won't know until you run it across a set of scales.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:17 AM   #17

I had the front end alignment, it was way out. Had to replace cas/cam bushings. It fixed the front wandering, and 75% of the push from passing trucks. I could drive it like this and be a happy camper. But I will install Helwigg front/rear sway bars, and steering stabilizers. And eventually upgrade the shocks. Thanks everyone for steering me thru this!!
Old 02-04-2016, 01:31 AM   #18

I had mine aligned yesterday and it was way out, had to replace the cas/cam bushings. B4 front would wander, and trucks passing would push me out of lane. Now wandering is gone, and the rear sway is 75% gone. About what you expect. Happy now with it but will have the the front and rear Helwigg sway bars and steering stabilizers added. And eventually upgrade shocks. Yes Jayco paid, but go thru their customer service first or a Jayco dealer. Goog Luck
Old 02-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
I hit the CAT scales with our 31FK last year. We were fully loaded for a week long trip with full fuel, LP, and FW tanks. Occupants were DW, me and two grandkids. We have the forward kitchen which puts the loaded pantry in front. The front axle was overloaded by 140 pounds. A Greyhawk MV may be a different story, but you won't know until you run it across a set of scales.
I have both axle and wheel weights as it left the factory w/ full propane and fuel. I know I don't have a ton of play there as it is, so shifting even more weight forward before I sit my patookis in the seat makes me hesitate.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #20

I adjusted mine yesterday and it does feel like it doesn't sway as much. I called service where I bought it at and my alignment is approved through Jayco but I have to pay for it and they will reimburse me. So I have that scheduled for Monday. I am driving to California in a couple weeks so want to make sure it's going to handle good.
86gt5liter is offline   Reply With Quote