Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Holding Tank Heater

Does anyone know how the holding tank water heaters activate on the newer Greyhawks?
Dlivrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #2

There's a switch in the bathroom labeled Tank Heater.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

Is that the hot water switch, or a separate switch for the holding tanks?
Old 04-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #4

That's the only switch in the rig for the holding tank heaters. If you have a tankless water heater, the switch for it is on the heater itself. You have to open the outside cover for that switch. The tankless water heater also has a rotary adjustment in the bathroom. There's also a switch in the bathroom labeled Water Pump that does just that.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #5

It should be located left of the HW adjustment, along with your bathroom light switches.

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #6

Thumbs up

Oh, I thought that was to activate the tankless water heater. Thanks all!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #7

Tank heaters falling off

Have had our 2014 greyhawk 31FS for a year now and the tank heaters are peeling off. Reapplied with automotive spray adhesive. I would keep an eye on them so they don't end up dragging the ground like mine were.
landinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:11 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave_Jan
Is there a holding tank heater for the Seneca 37fs?
Dave_Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #9
WDW

I think the tank heaters are a cheap piece of marketing. What good are they if the rig has no cold weather provisions and the fresh water lines are exposed. How may of you/ us REALLY use your rig in a situation that warrants heating sewage?

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #10

I've been wondering the same thing.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #11

I agree. The exposed small diameter water lines and dump outlets beneath a Greyhawk would freeze far quicker than 20-30 gallons of wastewater.

UltraHeat manufactured the tank heater on ours. I see they also make pipe and elbow heaters. Adding these or the equivalent would likely be useful in hard freezes. But you'd need to be on shore power or crank the generator to run them any length of time. I expect they'd drain the house battery quickly.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #12

These holding tank heaters look like garbage to me..All the new Jayco class C's we looked at including our new 29mv had dangling wires hanging down every which way and looked very sloppy to say the least...Got most of the wires tucked into looms and safely not hanging down now.
But my question is this...the tank heaters run off of 12v... .seems when boondocking on a freezing night the battery (I changed out the one 12v. to two 6v.) dead battery would be the result...
to me another dumb Jayco mistake in engineering...and like one said a marketing joke.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevWb View Post
These holding tank heaters look like garbage to me..All the new Jayco class C's we looked at including our new 29mv had dangling wires hanging down every which way and looked very sloppy to say the least...Got most of the wires tucked into looms and safely not hanging down now.
Had to fix my wiring too. Wires hanging down just waiting to be snagged.

These heaters sure seem like a waste to me. I'll never use them because other unprotected plumbing will freeze just as quick or quicker.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #14

One of mine was holding on by the last 6" as I pulled into a spot in northern BC. I pulled it rather than try to read here it on the road. It is at the shop now.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #15

Added the hanging wiring loops to my warranty work list last winter. If enough dealers bill Jayco for a specific task, maybe they'll start taking care of it on the assembly line.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #16

The Forester has tanks that are enclosed and the compartment is heated with heat from when you run the furnace in addition to the 12 volt pads. The dump tank valves and also located in a compartment and heated the same way. Makes sense to me and much more functional design.
This feature has me considering the Forester over the Jayco.
My Coachmen has the dump tank valves located in a compartment. I like that much better than the valves hanging underneath the motor home and being exposed to all the road muck and grime.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #17

While the design element is better for the Forester, you will find fewer folks having major issues with their Jayco units. If this is critical to your planned usage, then go with it. Know that they have a suspension that will need tweaking to get anywhere near the ride quality of the Jayco. All makers have their foibles, but my initial investigation showed me that Jayco makes a better product over all. I think that forest river has a better design from a camping usage perspective, but build quality and ride are a major issue for me. I was weeks away from pulling the trigger on a forester when I found Jayco. I just logged 11,000 miles in 30days with few functional issues to report. FL to AK and back. Only near show stopper was partially our own fault, in that we had a lot of weight in the fridge door while on a VERY rough road causing the plastic hinge to fail.
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 08-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
While the design element is better for the Forester, you will find fewer folks having major issues with their Jayco units. If this is critical to your planned usage, then go with it. Know that they have a suspension that will need tweaking to get anywhere near the ride quality of the Jayco. All makers have their foibles, but my initial investigation showed me that Jayco makes a better product over all. I think that forest river has a better design from a camping usage perspective, but build quality and ride are a major issue for me. I was weeks away from pulling the trigger on a forester when I found Jayco. I just logged 11,000 miles in 30days with few functional issues to report. FL to AK and back. Only near show stopper was partially our own fault, in that we had a lot of weight in the fridge door while on a VERY rough road causing the plastic hinge to fail.
Thanks for the input. The Jayco price is about $13,000 less than what the Forester came in at. The heated tank design while nice is not worth that much.
I have been reading and hearing a lot of good things about the Jayco ride with the exception of a vibration in some units due to a drive shaft balancing issue.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #19

In the FR OG boards, one of the class c product managers is there frequently answering questions and that really appealed to the inner research geek in me. For the Jayco designs it looks like there is less room above the frame rails, therefore the tanks seem to be lower, making the drains a lot lower. The levelers are far lower than the drain pipes though. And when I realized my heater pad was hanging, we had just pulled into a spot that had the rear end scraping a bit, which made my wife think we did it then. But looking at the clearances, there was no way I did that going into that site.
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 08-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #20

Relatively new RV'er here with a 2014 Greyhawk 29KS. We've taken her out about 11 times now, and the one problem we have had consistently is the living room slide out not retracting when we go to pull up and leave a campground. Doesn't matter if we're out for two days or a week, it happens every time. Hubby and I then end up spending some time on the floor in front of the bed replacing the 30 amp fuse that blows out.

Last time, our son was with us, and he noticed we had the tank heater on. Like most newbies, I thought the tank heater was for the tankless water heater, not the black water. Unbeknownst to me, my son suggested that the tank heater and the main room slide out might share the same circuit, and the reason we have so many problems with the slide out is because we've got the tank heater running too.

We've had our beast at the dealer 4 times with this problem. They kept it on shore power for a couple of days and did not have any problems with the main slide out. We took it out, and bam....it does leave one very frustrated and feeling very stupid.

We've replaced the house battery, bought a solar charger, the battery reads full right up to the minute we plug into shore power at a campsite. But we had been turning on the tank heater....and the dealership never did.

So, we've got a trip coming up, and we're not turning that tank heater on. Hopefully, my son was right and we don't have to worry whether or not we will be able to bring the slide out in when it's time to leave.
kozanne is offline   Reply With Quote