Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #1

Hooking up a carryout satellite antenna

I bought a Winegard Carryout Anser GM-5000 satellite antenna. I haven't tried to hook it up yet. Anyone have any idea if simply attaching to the cable TV connection on the outside of my 06 Greyhawk 31SS will work?
Widewader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #2

Very doubtful since the cable wire connects to the TV via the antenna amplifier. That's why the amp has to be off for cable to work, but it messes up the sat signal whether off or on.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:43 AM   #3

Thanks, Grumpy. I was afraid that was the case. I'll probably have to run the cable from Sat through a window. Now, I have to ask, "Where do look for that antenna amplifier so I can turn it off - just in case?""
Widewader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widewader View Post
Thanks, Grumpy. I was afraid that was the case. I'll probably have to run the cable from Sat through a window. Now, I have to ask, "Where do look for that antenna amplifier so I can turn it off - just in case?""

It's on the cover plate to the 12V (cigarette lighter style) outlet by the t.v. It's the little green button that lights up when you press it in; light goes out and button pops out when you press it again. There should also be an instruction label that says to disconnect the "jumper cable" from the antennae and plug the t.v./converter box cable into one of those jacks. At least that's the way it is on my TT.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 AM   #5

Take a look at this thread. If you don't have that A/B jumper plate, you can easily add it and use the external cable connector.

The cable wiring is likely already RG6, so adding this plate would be a nice addition for you assuming you have the space to do so.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #6

Mu fifth wheel was pre-wired with an exterior cable inlet and the jumper inside to go around the amplifier. But I decided to install a separate exterior inlet for my satellite. Using Jayco's setup requires using Jayco's wiring. Although Jayco's cable is RG-6, the cable connectors are crimp, not the required compression type. Also, cable for satellite use is recommended not to be bent at less than a 6 inch radius; the cable for my exterior Jayco connection was bent at about a 1 inch radius.

I know that the Jayco installed cabling can work for satellite - but I think a whole lot of problems are eliminated by installing a dedicated satellite input. If there is a convenient pathway from an exterior wall to your satellite receiver, it is very easy to do. I used a cable inlet like this one. In addition to having the tools to drill the whole for the cable inlet, you'd need to have a compression connector tool like this.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #7

Yep, I agree and did the same. Jayco ran the primary connection to the bedroom, and I wanted satellite in the living room so I did this to hook it up which sounds similar to what you did.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote