Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #21

try one of these, made a difference on mine https://www.amazon.com/ADCO-2405-Pol...+cover+class+c
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #22

Rolling down the road... from the OPs perspective?.

Some Ideas - Sun has been darn relentless here lately

*Pre-cooling it before you head out
*Protect the cool temperature you have to start with - Insulate, cover windows, mind the doors.
*Move air? Like they add fans in the new fridge styles to move air\
*Our summer has been terrible, sun has been bearing down on Denver. Its just not normal. Try parking in the shade wherever you can do it
*Roll down the road to blow out that Hotter air before the AC kicks in

Any other ideas for the OP you can think of to drop that temp?
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #23

I thought it was just me....

We were on the Texas coast this weekend. Outside temperature was 88 with a heat index right around 100 (oh, now they call it "feels-like temperature). We had the cab closed off and the window shades shut, but there was no shade to park in. The temperature inside stayed right at 86 all day and wouldn't drop until late at night. There were 3 of us and 3 dogs... poor dogs were miserable all afternoon. I was wondering if plugging a fan in would help, couldn't really think of anything else to do.
NativeTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #24

Insulating your A/C

If you have not already looked at the thread about Insulating your A/C have a peak.I have finished the mod myself but not really had a chance to test it out yet. I can tell you just by taping the seams on the box I noticed a significant increase in airflow.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #25

Are you saying there were seams under the AC cowl that are easily accessible and can be taped?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #26

Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Are you saying there were seams under the AC cowl that are easily accessible and can be taped?
Yep. I will attach the link below. It was a very easy mod to do. Take off the Cowl, foil tape the seams on the "cooling box" (My term, not sure what the technical name is), insulate box with Reflectix and wrap cold pipes in foam insulation.

The seams on the box are just folded metal so lots of room for air loss. I definetly noticed an improvement.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ing-38400.html

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
We were on the Texas coast this weekend. Outside temperature was 88 with a heat index right around 100 (oh, now they call it "feels-like temperature). We had the cab closed off and the window shades shut, but there was no shade to park in. The temperature inside stayed right at 86 all day and wouldn't drop until late at night. There were 3 of us and 3 dogs... poor dogs were miserable all afternoon. I was wondering if plugging a fan in would help, couldn't really think of anything else to do.

We camped at the beach last year and the temps got well above 100 degrees. Actually, 98 degrees with 100% humidity and a real feel of about 105-107. I ran my AC during the day and a WindMachine fan on the floor and kept the TT at about 72 degrees all day. Fans have two roles. One, they move the air around making it cooler and easier for the AC to keep up. Two, it dries the air making it cooler inside. Dry, moving air is cooler than still, humid air. So in a nutshell, yes, fans work great. Plus, I LOVE the white noise for sleeping!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Yep. I will attach the link below. It was a very easy mod to do. Take off the Cowl, foil tape the seams on the "cooling box" (My term, not sure what the technical name is), insulate box with Reflectix and wrap cold pipes in foam insulation.

The seams on the box are just folded metal so lots of room for air loss. I definetly noticed an improvement.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ing-38400.html
I'm very interested in sealing the seams and insulating the pipe. As I just mentioned in the thread you shared, I'm a little concerned w/ the coils freezing up if the box is wrapped in Reflectix.

Thanks for sharing the link.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #29

We were in Laughlin, NV two weeks ago. When we rolled in at 6 pm it was 118 degrees. Finally able to get the temp inside below 99 by midnight and down in the 80s by 3 am. We were going to stay three days but left the next morning - our poor 13-year-old dog was in a panic! When it's like a furnace outside, it's impossible to cool down the inside very well, even with our small unit. By the way, took a hot! shower without even turning on the hot water. We have Heat Shields on front and side windows.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #30

I want to load my Precept 31ul for my next trip, but my electric outlet at the house is a 15 amp circuit. Can I run one of the ac's while I am loading or should I use the generator? I am in Florida and it's hot hot hot.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #31

Maybe............ I've had some luck running our 15K Mach 8 on a 15A circuit - if nothing else is on the run. Much better success when I drag a nice fat 10g extenstion cord out and it's on a 20A circuit.

If you're going to use a 15A line, I'd suggest keep the cord as short as possible and invest in a good extension cord to keep the resistance down.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
By the way, took a hot! shower without even turning on the hot water.
We've noticed that too. On our old Class C the fresh water tank was mostly inside the coach and stayed cool. On the '16 Greyhawk, the tank is outside and underneath.

Driving down a highway when it's 95+* outside and we'll have hot hot water coming out of the cold tap.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #33

I have a 2016 29MV Greyhawk. Just spent 3 months of summer on the east coast. Very hot inside the coach when 90 degrees plus in the sun.

I am going to replace my fantastic vent in the master bedroom ceiling with another roof top A/C unit.

Has anyone ever tried to run wiring from the master bedroom (powered) roof vent down into an accessible area?

My plan is to run a dedicated circuit from the A/C unit in the roof with a breaker outside.

I will use the original 30 amp plug to run 99% of the motor home and an additional 30 amp circuit for the additional A/C unit.

I will use a male 50 amp y adapter to two 30 amp female plugs at the pedestal.
tomknepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #34

[QUOTE=The awning also helps. The one thing I don't have, yet, is slide toppers. They also make a significant difference as the roof of the slides is one of the worst insulated points in the entire unit.[/QUOTE]

We just ordered slide toppers for reasons having nothing to do with keeping cool. So glad to hear that they also help with that as we are a bit challenged in that department.

We bought the heatshields for the cab as we like to leave that area open. The grandkids like to sit there to read or goof around with electronic devices and we otherwise feel shut in if we use the privacy curtain.
Livin' and lovin' Life!
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote