Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

how to clean front cap on our Greyhawk?

We just got our Class C this spring and now we have bugs on the front cap. Does anyone have any good, easy, safe ways of cleaning that cap? We have found it hard to reach across to get to the middle (need longer arms?) Any suggestions would be appreciated -

3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #2

I've seen several brushes that have an telescopic handle for tall, or hard to reach areas. You can also spray on Bug and Black Streak remover to soften them up first, brush the area, and hose it off. If you need to, you can get closer to the front with a step ladder, but it's best to have someone spot you.

JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:29 PM   #3

Two step process

How clean the cap gets depends on my energy level... Doing it properly is a two step process for me. I use a soft bristle brush and start from up on the roof and brush down the cap. Then I get my ladder and work the bottom half.

I use a wash and wax product... I am sure seperate products would do a better job but I don't see any safe way to do a proper wax and buff job on that cap.

My last TT had Diamond Coat on it.... I really miss that finish!!!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #4

a couple of good ideas

Thanks for the ideas - a spray bug cleaner would be something to look for, we have used bug cleaner on our previous 5er that is poured onto a rag and rubbed on. Also, finding a wash and wax combo would be a time and work saver!
3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:42 PM   #5

I Use soft scrub for the bugs and oxidation and then gave it a good waxing and buff for shine. I was able to reach all areas on my with a six foot ladder.
DumpStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:07 PM   #6

Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpStation View Post
I Use soft scrub for the bugs and oxidation and then gave it a good waxing and buff for shine. I was able to reach all areas on my with a six foot ladder.
Great that you can pull it off, but that is some serious gymnastics my friend. Unless you are incredibly tall I have to assume to stand on the top rung???... I have fallen off a ladder once cleaning an RV... Not a mistake I intend to replicate.

Just trying to envision the logistics... Are you coming at it from the sides or reaching over the hood of the truck? Heck I can't even reach the entire windshield let alone buff the end cap.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Great that you can pull it off, but that is some serious gymnastics my friend. Unless you are incredibly tall I have to assume to stand on the top rung???... I have fallen off a ladder once cleaning an RV... Not a mistake I intend to replicate.

Just trying to envision the logistics... Are you coming at it from the sides or reaching over the hood of the truck? Heck I can't even reach the entire windshield let alone buff the end cap.
I'm actually short, 5'6" but very nimble and my Greyhawk is an 09 and has more of a box shaped overhead cab design than yours so it's easier to reach from a 6' step ladder side angled from the 2nd highest rug.

For your type of cabover I would use two 6' steps side to side and build a scaffold using a new 2X10x8 or two of these boards screwed together if over 200lbs. I'd position it 6" away from the tip of the cab. This way you wouldn't have to lean too far over, compromising the stability of the scaffold. If stability is a concern, I would screw or mount the far side leg bottoms, or feet of the ladders each to a piece 2x6x4 laying it flat, extending the extra length of the boards away from the front of the rig. This will eleminate any tipping concerns. I built a setup like this year's ago when I rehabbed the cabover on my older 1st rig that suffered delamination from water damage.
DumpStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #8

I use a swifer with spray9 reliable cleaner, then use their spray wax and the swiffer to buff it. Works good from the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #9

I have an 08 GH 31ss, and use a 6' step ladder turned sideways (front & rear ladder legs against bumper) and climb up, then put one foot lightly on the black strip where the wipers are located and the other foot close to the ladder leg closest to the bumper. Wife holds the ladder for me, and I can reach the top of the front cap/clearance lights. I do have to move the ladder as I'm careful not to over reach in this position, but it works for me. I'm 6' tall, 210#, I've not heard the black strip crack or make a sound while standing like this.

I can scrub the bugs off, even apply wax and use a buffer in this position, just need to be careful and not over reach.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #10

Or one of those HD ladder units that folds into a scaffold. Very sturdy but pricey. I use the long brush and goo stepladder from both sides and a step stool for the center front. I get some from the roof during roof cleaning and wax as much as possible.