Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #11
Our 2010 GH

We had wanted to get an RV for about 10 years and when we finally bit the bullet, we got a C Class. Used, but it was a great buy and we are really enjoying it.

8-9 MPG. Our trip to Yellowstone this summer was about 3200 miles total and we spent about $1000 in fuel.

TimHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #12
We have a 2017 Sprinter Melbourne and we get 13 MPG. Ours is 24ft and we can park just about anywhere. If we are sightseeing, its easy to find a place to park. Did not want a Class A because of the front window. Have you noticed how many have those portable little fans! It's hot and like being in a greenhouse. Oh, and our brand new Mercedes was only $71,000, yes it was $14,000 more then a gas one, but the Ford ones did not have any room on the passenger side of the floor if you have 2 legs and I have 2 legs. I couldn't imagine driving many miles crammed into that area.

2017 Jayco Melbourne

LindaInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #13
One really nice advantage of the class C is it has front doors. This is a real convenience at service stations it is a pain climbing out to get to the one side door on a class A. Secondly those front doors are a safety advantage if in an accident and the class A goes onto its right side.
Neil & Karol 2015 Seneca HJ
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #14
Originally Posted by silverta16 View Post

That mileage is horrible wonder why they don't make diesels? Guess that's where the Mercedes ones come in but if I had $100k I wouldn't be worried about camping. So we are talking 10 mpg if I was lucky on flat ground running 65mph?
Thor Chateau Super C's are built on the Ford F550 chassis and come with the 6.7 Powerstroke diesel. It's lower than the Seneca Super C's, but you do benefit with a great towing capacity should you want to tow even a moderate sized vehicle.
2017 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Crew Cab Long Bed w/6.7 CTD & Aisin
2015 Eagle 284BHBE Premier
milw156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #15
The Seneca got the nod for purchase because it can tow 10,000 pounds. Now I wish I could tow 15K.
Neil & Karol 2015 Seneca HJ
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #16
We are quite happy with our C Class. Even used, we see the benefits. The only real complaint, and it really isn't a complaint, is getting into the cab from the living area...requires a bit of contortion. But if you are thinner than I am, you wouldn't have any problems. Us egg-shaped drivers have to use the front door to get into the cab...
Home: El Paso Texas
Jayco Grayhawk 31FS 2010
TimHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #17
We love our Class C. We average 14 mpg towing a Jeep Wrangler. It's been such a windy summer out west that we know we'll even get better mileage if we can only go someplace without wind for a change. We go between 58 and 65 mph depending on the conditions - we have plenty of power to go much faster than that, but we don't want to. We have owned trailers for years. We knew it was time for a motorhome and have had no regrets. It's like driving a very, very large Suburban. We do rock a bit if wind gusts are over 35, but we were also knocked around a lot in winds that high when we owned our last trailer.
2017 Melbourne 24k - 2003 Jeep Wrangler
2013 Premier 19FBPR; 2013 Rpod 177 HRE
2011 Aliner Sport; 2008 Little Guy 5-Wide
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #18
Currently on our second class C, and dreaming of something bigger already.

There is the Why did you choose a class C thread which you should read as well.

If Diesel and mileage is a concern, you have only two options in the states, the 25' long sprinter and transit based diesel RV chassis, and then you move to the Super Cs (dynamax Isata 5, thor Chataeu on the F550, Seneca, Dynamax DX3. Force, etc).

I don't have the 6speed because I have a 2015, so to increase my mileage its low and slow wins the day. Running 65ish with a minivan on a dolly, I can get a little over 7mpg.

Read the thread and see some of the other reasons why folks choose Class Cs and see what fits your needs.
Carl & Dawn
2015 Greyhawk 31FS
2015 Ford Transit Connect (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #19
Really interesting discussion, as well as the other thread too.

We've been considering a Class C as our next unit. My biggest concern with the Class Cs (at least the Red and Grey Hawks, etc) is the seating space. And more specifically, those little love seats. We had one in our 24FBS and hated it. Very cramped, no where to put a drink as no end tables.

Our DSRL has the two recliners with a table in between. I noticed that Jayco is now coming out with theatre seating in the Class A models. I wonder if they'll do the same for class C. Just so much more comfortable. (I know, I'm a princess! LOL)
Proud Yukoner
2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat
2016 Whitehawk 27 DSRL
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #20
Thumbs up Future Seneca Owner has Diesel Water-in-Fuel Question

Hello forum!

After about 6 months of grappling with the calculus of Class A vs Fifth wheel, I have discovered Super Cs and the clouds have dissipated and manna is falling from Heaven!

My biggest beef with FW was I'd have to give up my Jeep. My biggest worry with CA was being at one with the crumple zone.

At 6'5" with the svelte profile of an offensive lineman, standard Cs don't work for me.

The super (duper) Seneca 37TS checks almost all of our boxes!

Anyway, enough background...

When I was going to go with the FW, I was going to pull it with an F-350 and I was going to buy a fancy after market water fuel separator... like this.

How do you diesel owners deal with water separation? I am a diesel newb, so apologies if this is a silly/obvious question.

looking to buy a Seneca - possibly at the Hershey show
enyoc is offline   Reply With Quote