Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

I Want a C Class I Think...

I have always wanted a C class. I had a 18 foot Jayco camper I pulled behind my Crew cab Silverado and we had a lot of fun. We did a lot of antiquing, flea marketing, and Wal-Mart camping without a generator. I think a C class would be ideal for what we do. It'd be easy to manage in small towns and could have a built in generator. I like the idea of not being inside the camper having to get out and get into the truck and being able to drive off if we were to run into trouble somewhere during the night. How are they on fuel mileage? Are like driving a slow square brick down the road? I see so many for sale with low miles I was wondering if they are just so hard on gas you can't travel? Will they run 70mph at cruise or ? Just looking for advice and input. I like the small ones under 30 foot in length and would prefer a chevy drive train. Thanks
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

I have a 31ss and I love it. It works great for our family's needs. I love the fact that I don't have to stop to make lunch or for someone to visit the bathroom.
Where are you that it requires a "quick getaway" in the middle of the night?
I've got it up to 70 no problem when circumstances required it, but I stay around 60. I get a good 8mpg at that speed. Your mpg will go downhill fast if you push it faster.
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #3

Bottom line up front, campers push pull or drag get trashy gas mileage. The big downfall to a class C is transportation once you arrive at your destination (may not be a downfall to others). Good luck! We love our 15 31FS! Headed to AK Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Cunning193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

Had a 2001 DESIGNER 32' that we put over 50,000 miles on in 7 yrs. We then went to SENECA and put 50,000 miles on it in 6 yrs. Changed to a PINNACLE since we are going to full time.

We had great times with both.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

We have a 2016 Redhawk 26XD. Just right for two of us and several dogs. Extremely easy to park an maneuver, and had everything that we needed/wanted and was much less than they Greyhawk, as well as being lighter.

The V10 coupled with the new 6 speed transmission gave us over 10 MPG on the last trip from West Virginia to Florida. The 6 speed is quieter than the 5 speed, and enabled us to use the cruise control everywhere but the steepest mountains (we don't have to use tow/haul anymore). Having the motorhome maintain it's speed on cruise control even downhill really amazed me... never had a vehicle that could do that before.

We don't like to rush, and the "sweet spot" for this motorhome tends to be about 62 MPH. It runs about 2,200 RPM at that speed, and gets the best mileage there.

The only things we had the dealer add (negotiated into the price) were 2 MaxxAir vent covers & reversible vent fans, slide toppers, and a Roadmaster spare tire carrier.

Good luck and happy camping, whatever you decide.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

Class C will almost always be a gas engine, therefore lower fuel mileage.

You often see low mileage motorhomes because people don't drive them that much. You drive to a destination (2-300 miles) and park for the weekend or week, then you come home. Say 10 trips a year, that's 2500 miles a year. 5 years of that is only 12K-15K miles... very low.

If you don't mind unhooking the rig to drive to get groceries or go site seeing, a Class C is a great choice. On the other hand, you can get a car carrier and take a toad with you. We used my dad's Class C once and towed my wife's car behind it. Gas mileage was TERRIBLE in that thing, 5 mpg on a 2000 mile trip was pretty painful. We had a great time though.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #7

Happy C Class Owners

We are definetly happy C Class owners. Our reasons for making the switch included the layout, having the cab over bunk for the kids and believe it or not reducing our costs.

We were pulling a 34ft TT with a big bunkhouse at the back. Our kids are now old enough that they stay behind at times so we did not want to pull that length of RV around without reason. The C Class was a great solution. We found they have better layouts then most of the A Class. Particularily with the cab over bunk being a valuable resource.

For us the cost savings came from getting rid of the hefty tow vehicle. My daily commute for work is about 150km round trip. We don't have the space for a third vehicle so it meant I was driving A Chevy Silverado back and forth to work every day. When we went to the C Class I was able to ditch the truck for a small commuter car.

I find the MPG's driving the MH very similar to what I was getting in the Silverado while pulling the trailer so that was an even swap.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:47 AM   #8

One thing that never made sense to me was the C class campers that didn't have a bed over the cab just cabinets. The only reason I like the C class is because the bed over the couch and the layouts are much better. I like the idea of at least 2 full size beds and the couch or chair seating behind the driver.

That mileage is horrible wonder why they don't make diesels? Guess that's where the Mercedes ones come in but if I had $100k I wouldn't be worried about camping. So we are talking 10 mpg if I was lucky on flat ground running 65mph?
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:25 PM   #9

As the Logans said. We have the short 23xm and love it. We have had many and this is like a commuter class C. Test drive it! We did trailers too. You will love the one piece concept!!! Trust me!
Old 07-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #10

Our GH 31ss has a queen bed in the back, the sofa bed, and a slide out sleeper with the cabinets over the cab. The dinette may convert into a bed, not sure.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #11

Our 2010 GH

We had wanted to get an RV for about 10 years and when we finally bit the bullet, we got a C Class. Used, but it was a great buy and we are really enjoying it.

8-9 MPG. Our trip to Yellowstone this summer was about 3200 miles total and we spent about $1000 in fuel.

TimHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #12

We have a 2017 Sprinter Melbourne and we get 13 MPG. Ours is 24ft and we can park just about anywhere. If we are sightseeing, its easy to find a place to park. Did not want a Class A because of the front window. Have you noticed how many have those portable little fans! It's hot and like being in a greenhouse. Oh, and our brand new Mercedes was only $71,000, yes it was $14,000 more then a gas one, but the Ford ones did not have any room on the passenger side of the floor if you have 2 legs and I have 2 legs. I couldn't imagine driving many miles crammed into that area.

2017 Jayco Melbourne
LindaInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #13

One really nice advantage of the class C is it has front doors. This is a real convenience at service stations it is a pain climbing out to get to the one side door on a class A. Secondly those front doors are a safety advantage if in an accident and the class A goes onto its right side.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverta16 View Post

That mileage is horrible wonder why they don't make diesels? Guess that's where the Mercedes ones come in but if I had $100k I wouldn't be worried about camping. So we are talking 10 mpg if I was lucky on flat ground running 65mph?
Thor Chateau Super C's are built on the Ford F550 chassis and come with the 6.7 Powerstroke diesel. It's lower than the Seneca Super C's, but you do benefit with a great towing capacity should you want to tow even a moderate sized vehicle.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #15

The Seneca got the nod for purchase because it can tow 10,000 pounds. Now I wish I could tow 15K.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #16

We are quite happy with our C Class. Even used, we see the benefits. The only real complaint, and it really isn't a complaint, is getting into the cab from the living area...requires a bit of contortion. But if you are thinner than I am, you wouldn't have any problems. Us egg-shaped drivers have to use the front door to get into the cab...
Old 08-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #17

We love our Class C. We average 14 mpg towing a Jeep Wrangler. It's been such a windy summer out west that we know we'll even get better mileage if we can only go someplace without wind for a change. We go between 58 and 65 mph depending on the conditions - we have plenty of power to go much faster than that, but we don't want to. We have owned trailers for years. We knew it was time for a motorhome and have had no regrets. It's like driving a very, very large Suburban. We do rock a bit if wind gusts are over 35, but we were also knocked around a lot in winds that high when we owned our last trailer.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #18

Currently on our second class C, and dreaming of something bigger already.

There is the Why did you choose a class C thread which you should read as well.

If Diesel and mileage is a concern, you have only two options in the states, the 25' long sprinter and transit based diesel RV chassis, and then you move to the Super Cs (dynamax Isata 5, thor Chataeu on the F550, Seneca, Dynamax DX3. Force, etc).

I don't have the 6speed because I have a 2015, so to increase my mileage its low and slow wins the day. Running 65ish with a minivan on a dolly, I can get a little over 7mpg.

Read the thread and see some of the other reasons why folks choose Class Cs and see what fits your needs.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #19

Really interesting discussion, as well as the other thread too.

We've been considering a Class C as our next unit. My biggest concern with the Class Cs (at least the Red and Grey Hawks, etc) is the seating space. And more specifically, those little love seats. We had one in our 24FBS and hated it. Very cramped, no where to put a drink as no end tables.

Our DSRL has the two recliners with a table in between. I noticed that Jayco is now coming out with theatre seating in the Class A models. I wonder if they'll do the same for class C. Just so much more comfortable. (I know, I'm a princess! LOL)
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #20

Thumbs up Future Seneca Owner has Diesel Water-in-Fuel Question

Hello forum!

After about 6 months of grappling with the calculus of Class A vs Fifth wheel, I have discovered Super Cs and the clouds have dissipated and manna is falling from Heaven!

My biggest beef with FW was I'd have to give up my Jeep. My biggest worry with CA was being at one with the crumple zone.

At 6'5" with the svelte profile of an offensive lineman, standard Cs don't work for me.

The super (duper) Seneca 37TS checks almost all of our boxes!

Anyway, enough background...

When I was going to go with the FW, I was going to pull it with an F-350 and I was going to buy a fancy after market water fuel separator... like this.

How do you diesel owners deal with water separation? I am a diesel newb, so apologies if this is a silly/obvious question.

Thanks!