Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2017, 04:57 AM   #1

I'm in RV Hell

Hello fellow Jayco owners!
We purchased a 2017 Greyhawk in October of 2016 from RV One.when it arrived ( from another RV one store) the seat had,a tear and a fascia board was torn off from someone operating the slide without moving the seat. They finally fixed that. After that , we noticed water in the coach and pouring out of area of the slide on the outside. They replaced the seals on the slide. While it was in the shop to replace decals that were puling off, they heard a,"sloshing " sound. Upon Investigating the sloshing sound, another leak was discovered in the bunk over the drivers seat. The mattress is wet and the wood is warped. Appearantly, the wrong gaskets were used on the lights over the cab and let water into the unit, presumably from day one. Now this whole ed of the coach has to be torn out and replaced.

We have NEVER even used this coach! ! I have asked them to take this coach back and give me what I purchased-,a brand new coach! Am I overreacting? ? I don't want this obviously defective coach!! Any similar experiences?? We have a reservation in SC in a week.... I'm sure I will have to cancel.... I'm just sick about this.....
Glenwoodswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:09 AM   #2

If you have already signed all the paperwork and it's in your name, I think it's yours. If you haven't done that, tell them you refuse to take it and will go somewhere else if they don't replace it.

Good Luck
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:34 AM   #3

Be sure to go as high as you can in the JAYCO community about the problems... The dealerships all have bosses too...

So sorry you having a bad go at it. This is suppose to be the fun times... Even I can remember how a brand new car smells heading down the road...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 AM   #4

Hello, It's only just begun. We bought a brand new 2016 Thor Four Winds. I won't go into all the details because the list would literally be too long for this space. You mentioned the leak in the over cab area. I drilled a hole under our cab overhang to install air horns. When the drill pierced the fiberglass water started peeing out. I had my wife film this on her phone. I sent the video to the purchase dealer and Thor customer service, along with an email detailing what had happened. I more than half filled a 5 gallon pail. Neither the dealer or Thor got back to me. Auto stairs broke twice, AC's were wired to the same 30 amp leg instead of being split between both legs- melted the junction box from the generator. Courtesy light in cab would fill with water when it rained. Shades and valances all at one point fell off. On and On. We traded this piece of ---- on a 2008 Jayco Seneca. A beautiful rig in layout and function. Did have a tranny problem but other than that it has been flawless. I have been told by people in the business that all the new rigs have major quality control problems. Skilled workers replaced with unskilled workers to save on costs. Just my opinion.
Capt. Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #5

No! You are NOT overreacting. While I'm usually the first to tell any new owner to not sweat the small stuff - leaks are not "The Small Stuff".

Anyone here will tell you that water intrusion is what kills a motorhome.

If you have that much leakage - I'd raise holy h*ll.

Be sure and contact Jayco directly - call/email/text/snail-mail the Jayco Leadership team!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:18 AM   #6

Every time I kick around the idea of trading up/out of my rig, I read horror stories like this and decide its not worth the financial pain to switch out.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #7

I would not even mess around with your dealer in this case. I would use the planned vacation time to drive this coach to the Jayco service center in Indiana, and leave it at the door. Doubtful your dealer has the means, or the confidence to take on such a project....and you want this taken care of properly!! Make yourself heard with Jayco!!

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #8

That's the definition of a lemon law candidate. You likely have some legal options at your disposal if Jayco doesn't do right by you. They know this more than anyone, don't be afraid to play hard ball if you get the run around.

Agree with the others, I'd bypass the dealership.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Every time I kick around the idea of trading up/out of my rig, I read horror stories like this and decide its not worth the financial pain to switch out.
X2, everything works and nothing is falling off , all doors , cabinets and hinges work properly, no water leaks no soft floor. But with a Hybrid I do have to be careful about mold on the tent ends.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
That's the definition of a lemon law candidate. You likely have some legal options at your disposal if Jayco doesn't do right by you. .
Most lemon laws required 3 failed repair attempts for the same problem.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Most lemon laws required 3 failed repair attempts for the same problem.
That's true. I'm just thinking the OP now has 2 documented cases of water intrusion. I'd consider this the same problem, even though different areas were impacted, not sure legally if that's true, If it isn't fixed perfectly this time, the lemon law could come into play. I wouldn't be afraid to mention it to Jayco I guess is the point.

Since we all know how bad water damage is for a camper, I'd fight for a new unit, using every little law, or consumer protection option available. Hopefully it won't come to that.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #12

Someone from this community stated Lemon Laws did not pertain to recreational vehicles. Not sure if this is true, perhaps reading the fine print will clarify that statement.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng45ine View Post
Someone from this community stated Lemon Laws did not pertain to recreational vehicles.
I did - but I was mostly wrong. IIRC - it depends on your state. So, IMHO, it's absolutely worth looking into!

I like the idea of driving it to Jayco in Indiana and dropping it off on their doorstep. Yes, it'll be a huge hassle but so far, I think everyone who's had the Jayco factory fix things has been pleased with the results.

So sorry to the OP that they got a lemon.
But, I think it was caught early and can be fixed!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I did - but I was mostly wrong. IIRC - it depends on your state. So, IMHO, it's absolutely worth looking into!

I like the idea of driving it to Jayco in Indiana and dropping it off on their doorstep. Yes, it'll be a huge hassle but so far, I think everyone who's had the Jayco factory fix things has been pleased with the results.

So sorry to the OP that they got a lemon.
But, I think it was caught early and can be fixed!

Now how do you know they got a lemon??
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #15

There is a Federal lemon law that covers all Americans. States can restrict your rights further, but by default:

The federal RV Lemon Law was designed to protect your rights when your new RV turns sour and the manufacturer's dealer is unable to fix it within reasonable number of attempts or a reasonable amount of time. This law applies to motorized RV's including Class A, Class B and Class C motorhomes as well as towable RV's which include Travel Trailers, Toy Haulers, Fifth-Wheel Trailers and Truck Campers.

9 times out of 10, if you think you got a lemon, you probably got a lemon.

It's the OP's call. I would also definitely look into this as a potential remedy.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
They do absolutely "great service work", but the customer or dealer has to make an appointment. Just an FYI.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Now how do you know they got a lemon??
I don't.
I was being empathetic.