Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #1

Improving the ride in my greyhawk

I'm looking to make the ride in my 31ss smoother. Looking for some solutions that other owners have had success with. Are air bags on the rear my only option?
Schroedbags52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #2

From what I see being new at this rv thing is a number of people have recommended to change the shocks and improve on a bigger swaybar in the back. As for the airbags I was told that it would only take care of load not ride. Good luck.
easyryder01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #3

I had a 1999 F150 that I towed a 5th wheel with. Adding the airbags on the F150 greatly improved the ride, as well as the performance. When I went to the 2008 F250, I also added airbags, not that they were needed but in order to improve the ride. They have not help much on the F250. It is a very tight and bumpy ride. There is some improvement, but nothing to write home about.

Jim

Jim
Priscilla, best friend & navigator.
Hank (5 year old black & tan Dachshund)
Cocoa (3 year old brown & tan dapple Dachshund)
2010 Fleetwood Excursion 30a
Toad is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X
(We traded in our F250 and Jayco Eagle)
One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:10 AM   #4

The springs and shocks which Ford included with the chassis are just about rock-hard. Adjustable shocks might be one option, if available to you. I'd put airbags on only as a last resort.

How do you load your rig? Is most of what you carry behind the rear wheels? This might lead to the front end being too light, and that can certainly heighten any sensation you are getting of a hard ride. If you can relocate as much cargo as possible inside of the wheelbase, this should help.

How about tire pressures? To the best of my knowledge, you should be running 65 PSI up front and 70-80 in the rear (Jayco's recommendation on my 27' is 70). Sticking to those numbers will help somewhat, too.
jnewkirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #5

Bags52.... Please define "smoother".... I also have a 31SS and find the ride to be very good as is from the factory... sometimes I do feel it leans a bit but the Helwig suspension seems to keep it in check... only thing that bothers me is the steering could be a bit "tighter" that is I sometimes feel I have to keep making corrections to keep her going straight down the road...

Joe
JaycoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #6

One thing I didn't mention in my earlier post was alignment. I'm going to invest in getting that sorted out when I get my new tires.

I don't think Jayco has our coaches realigned once they are finished, and they really should do this. The Ford factory specs as the chassis is built as an incomplete vehicle often don't work out well once it's fully built-up. The thing is, you need to take it to someone who is knowledgeable with RVs or commercial vehicles that often travel heavily loaded, so they can set it up properly.
jnewkirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #7

I had the alignment done by a truck tire and alignment shop. They put a caster kit in to allow for proper adjustment. It made a great difference.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #8

If you had to prioritize what to do first, shocks, larger rear sway bar, airbags etc what would you folks suggest. My Greyhawk is a 2007 31ss so it is on the 2006 chassis before j-ride.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #9

The alignment is huge. Jayco will cover cost within the 1st yr I believe. They covered mine and thousands more I would suspect. They do not realign once they complete their builds at the factory.

Has anyone changed the front sway bar on a j ride plus suspension. I think that’s a standard ford bar am I correct ? Or do they upgrade it also. The rear is a bit more Beefier from what I was told and see on the jay ride plus option. I have a 2018 31fs with j plus and after a 2000 mile trip I am about to pull the trigger on a safe T plus bar and change the front sway bar if in fact it’s a standard ford bar on there now. Have to verify .
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:09 AM   #10

I did alignment. sway bars, shocks and adjusted Helwigs and safety steer does pretty good now
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
I did alignment. sway bars, shocks and adjusted Helwigs and safety steer does pretty good now
What sway bars did you go with? Did u do both? And did you have j ride or j ride plus.

Thanks

Peter
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:56 AM   #12

I did not have J Ride mine is a 2009 I used Bilstein shocks and front and rear sway bars factory ones are for a van not a motor home. I would have to look thru paperwork to remember brand name . But they were huge compared to factory ones Think I got them thru Ricks Truck Springs Inc
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #13

I added some HD progressive joust bummers from SumoSprings to our 2018 Greyhawk with the J-Ride Installed on booth the front and rear i definitely feel a difference during the ride there is as much mussy sway mostly front he front end it doesn't seam to wander as much.

I was initially hoping that the rear ones would add a little lift tot he unit to help keep the trailer jack from occasionally scraping the ground but it did not lift it as much as i initially thought it would. I am still satisfied with the out come and would suggest installing them
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #14

I adjusted my Helwigs, had a front end alignment and added a safe t steer to the front. I am pretty happy with it. I think you get to a point when you cannot make a big box drive any better.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #15

Had a problem like that with my 29XK. Checked the alignment and sure enough the right toe was -0.19. Enough to make me getting pushed around like crazy. Fixing the toe did the trick. My caster is at 4.9. That in combination with the JRide works pretty good.
KregChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #16

J Ride Plus only way to go, rides like Big luxury car.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote