Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #1

Inspecting a used Seneca

I'm going Wednesday to look at a 2015 Seneca with 9000 miles. This will be my first motor home as I currently have a 5er. What should I look over and check. Anything that is a known issue I can look for? Thanks!
Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NBomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #2

We bought ours the same way... 2015 at 9200miles.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...tml#post429672

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...tml#post415638

Have Freightliner give it an inspection.. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...tml#post415604
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #3

I just purchased a 2014 with around 30,000 miles. It was my first RV so I didn't have a lot of experience or know really what to look for.

I have not seen any reports of common issues with the Seneca so I just did my standard 'used vehicle inspection'. If you already have a 5er then you are probably familiar with all of this...

Before I went to go look at it I just made a mental note of the things I would be willing to fix on my own dime. I figured that I got a good enough deal that I could afford $X,XXX dollars of repairs and still be happy. This eliminated small things like broken trim pieces, cabinet doors, toilet, sink, and even some bigger things like if 1 air conditioner unit didn't work or even the hot water heater. This saved me from having to spends hours examining each little component and gave me more time for the big stuff.

That plan left me with just a few major pieces that I could not afford to repair/replace for my $X,XXX. Things like:
- frame damage (I checked under the motorhome carefully for any signs of damage)
- slide problems (made sure they went in and out like I thought they should),
- generator (those things are almost $10,000 new so I spent some time and made sure it was in good shape)
- floors (made sure they were solid and not rotted from leaks)
- Leaks (looked for any signs of leaks)
- Roof damage
- A/C units work correctly
- Engine & drivetrain should be under warranty so I was not worried about those but I did inspect things that would not be covered by warranty like mouse damage to harnesses or air filters.
- I also looked for any signs of DIY 'handywork'. I didn't want a bunch of spliced wires and cables ran all over the place. There was a crappy brake controller added to mine but that fell within the limits that I could fix myself. I made sure all of the wiring looked factory and that no shoddy looking work had been done to the motorhome.

My theory has always been that if it LOOKS like it was cared for properly, it probably was. If it LOOKS like it has been beat to death, then it probably was. General condition will tell you a lot (though not always the whole story)

Anyway. This is the method I used and it worked pretty good for me. Your mileage may vary. Hope that helps.
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #4

The vehicle I'm looking at is at a retirement auction so I can't take it to freightliner for an inspection I can look it all over the day of and then I bid. My hopes are under 6 figures for a purchase price but I know that might not be possible depending who is bidding against me.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #5

Did you end up bidding on this unit? My wife and I had the same thoughts about getting a good deal given that it was buried in a heavy equipment auction. However, the bidding went much higher than I expected. Ended up at high retail price which I wouldn't have guessed.
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #6

We didn't even get a chance to bid. It went above where I thought it would have went very fast. The couple that bought it weren't going to let it go. They had their luggage with them and headed straight to New Orleans from the auction. Haha

Old 08-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #7

Sorry to hear that... sort of . Im sorry you didn't get to be the one to drive it home but also secretly glad it didn't sell for under 6 figures. It would have made me worry about the resale value of mine.
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #8

"How to Select, Inspect, and Buy an RV", A Complete Guide, JD Gallant, 3rd Edition, 393 pages.

Great book...got a used copy on Amazon for $6.
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #9
Krz

Purchased my 2014 Seneca fs used at a dealer. I traded a 2006 jayco arnica 35 ss . My trade had 36k miles and the 2014 that I bought only had 5600 miles. Very happy with new purchase but after 2 trips I had developed a problem with my bedroom slide. I found a broken wire in one of the 2 motors. Looked like some did a bad repair job replacing the motor a one time and routed the wires wrong. Going to get 2 new motors and repair myself. Just make sure to look at the slides and ask if ever been repaired.
Krz is offline   Reply With Quote