Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #1

Installing a rear view camera on a 2004 Greyhawk

Does anyone have any experience installing a camera on a Greyhawk MH? Specifically, how does the camera mount on the back and can you drill a 1" hole in the top back of the MH to run the wire? Can the wire be run down the inside back to underneath the chassis? Or is there a better way?
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
Or is there a better way?
IMHO....WIRELESS!!!! Tap power off the rear clearance lighting. Try to avoid obstruction between the transmitting and receiving antenna. Hopefully, wire routing will be limited to the cab area from the receiving antenna to your monitor / Nav System input. The cab is usually a good place to route conceal the wire.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #3

Installing a rear view camera on a 2004 Greyhawk

Try contacting Jayco. They're usually pretty good about providing schematics.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

I have a fifth wheel, 44+ft camper (mobile home) and tried the wireless route first. Picture was terrible to the point of being unusable. I then ordered a wired camera/monitor combo. I ran the wire down the roof ladder and under the rig to the front. Picture is simply outstanding.
Now with Firestone AirBags
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #5

Here is one I am looking at. The option to tap into the 12V later in the system and mount on my plate is what I liked. They have extension wires which you can run under your unit then mount the transmitter within range of the monitor is a plus too. I am thinking about popping out on my king pin with it.

http://4ucam.com/images/8907TJ-demon.jpg

My goal is to tie something like this into my GPS monitor with the video input I have on it.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #6

I just installed wired camera/monitor and my 2004 Greyhawk 31SS. Wireless would not work. Was able to fish cable thru wall in back then along frame rail avoiding hot places up to front and thru existing firewall grommet to inside. I had wall fishing experience from 39 years with phone Co, Removed center clearance light on back then drilled hole thru inside wall. Notched outside wall to just below same clearance light for cable then mounted light and sealed hole. Works great and looks like factory install(Maybe better).
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #7

Get it up as high as you can get it and point down at a good angle. These cameras will pick up road glare real easy at night.

Here is what one google photo shows...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #8

I installed a camera on the Redhawk mounted on the back edge of the roof. It is wired and has night vision. It's provides a view of the road behind that is absolutely unparallel to the side mirrors. I previously did the same with my previous 5th wheel trailer. I ran the wire down the back edge and underneath and enter through floor of cab area. My previous camera on the 5th wheel did not have night vision but it is absolutely outstanding what can be seen in very low light at night. I just tested it coming across across NC and Virginia at midnight. At the moment I am trying to match the color of the MH outside with a vinyl trim to be able to cover the wire. Other than that it is perfect color picture of the roadway on a 7" HD monitor.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #9

I keep it on during the entire travel time. Fantastic view of the backfield and distance and vehicles behind me. The rearview camera that came with redhawk has as you know very limited view area basically a few feet out from the coach. For me that simply is not enough and its fixed. I have been using a self installed camera for more than 10 yrs now and simply could not go down the road without it. Its much more difficult to miss objects with camera vs the mirrors outside because of the changing field bebind you. I have a car in tow so need to know at all times what's behind and coming up the sides to hopefully avoid an accident.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote