Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2015, 09:11 PM   #1

Installing an XM antenna

The Jensen radio on my new 2016 29 MV Greyhawk is SiriusXM ready. I bought the kit with a module and antenna. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to install the antenna without putting a hole in the fiberglass roof? Mounting on the dashboard will probably result in erratic signals received. Any ideas or experience would be appreciated

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:56 PM   #2

I don't have an answer to your question. All I can say is that SiriusXM audio quality is not worth the time and expense you'll go through to get it.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:37 AM   #3

If it is fiberglass, just place it close to the roof on the inside of the camper. The antenna will get the signal through fiberglass. This what I did in my semi.
RockHaulerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHaulerLarry View Post
If it is fiberglass, just place it close to the roof on the inside of the camper. The antenna will get the signal through fiberglass. This what I did in my semi.
RockHauler is correct. The SXM signal will pass through fiberglass with no problem. Just make sure that there is no metal or wiring above that location.
Basically it needs a clear line of sight above you. The top of the vehicle is always best but SXM is fairly strong and you will get a good signal where you are planning to install it.

Once you install it have it activated and remember to leave it on while waiting for the activation signal.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

RockhaulerLarry and Chrislori, Thanks for suggesting that I try the antenna near the roof inside. I will test that soon. I have someone who installs radios helping me to remove the radio so we can plug the module and antenna into the back of the radio. I'll report back the test results.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Old 08-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #6

XM Antenna Installed!

Hi All, I'm the OP. I used a highly skilled installer to get my SiriusXM Ready Jansen radio to work. He had to take the whole dashboard apart to get the radio out. The SiriusXM module plugs into the radio and the antenna plugs into the module. Both come in a kit from Amazon (SXV300) for about $37. The installer put the antenna on the cab roof (attached by its magnetic base) beneath the cab over. He ran the antenna wire to the gasket that holds the windshield in. No holes were drilled into the roof. The antenna worked well on a trip to PA and back to Long Island. I have attached a photo showing the location of the antenna. After seeing what is involved in getting the radio out of the dash, I would recommend a experienced installer to handle the job. The steering wheel column has to drop down to remove part of the dash!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2016 Greyhawk 29MV