Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
Installing Diodes in Toad Tailight.

I am in the process of rigging my 2013 Ford Edge Limited for towing behind my 2016 Redhawk 26XD. I have chosen to go with Blue Ox systems due to limited number of base-plates on the market that will accommodate the adaptive cruise control on the Edge. I already installed the base-plate with relative ease. A few more hours than the instructions indicated but all went well.
My next project and my question. Has anyone had experience installing the Blue Ox diode kit (BX8848) in a 2013 Ford Edge Limited? Any pitfalls I need to be aware of? Advice?
I also plan on using the Blue Ox Alpha tow bar and the Patriot braking unit.
Gerry O'

brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
I recently installed a blue ox tow bar and wiring kit on our wrangler but I installed a separate bulb instead of using the diodes. I didn't want to interact with the factory wiring in any way. That being said.. the taillight housings for a Jeep are probably significantly cheaper than most so it didn't both me to drill a hole in them.

As a side note... If you haven't already purchased the Patriot braking unit.. Take a look at the Rvi2 Brake. We went that route and have been very pleased with it's performance and simplicity/size.

2017 Jayco Redhawk 29XK
2015 Wrangler JKU
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Avail Tow Bar & Protect-a-Tow
RViBranke2 w/TPMS
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
Thanks drk98 for the info. I initially decided on the Patriot due to local availability and the issue of air compressors. I have read good and bad comments about both. The main issue appears to be activation speed in a panic stop. Not to be glib, but I'm just not sure how much of an issue it actually is. If possible you wouldn't want to lock up the toad brakes if it can be avoided. Hope my logic is correct when and if needed
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote