Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

Installing SXM tuner in Jensen radio

I'm really excited about most things in my 2016 Greyhawk, except that I am trying to get the dealer to nstall the "tuner" to make my radio fully functional.
I'm being told that Jayco does not make provisions to do the installation, leaving me with a Very high 5 figure MH, and no satellite radio.
Has anyone found a solution to the issue. I just can't believe I'm the first one to ask my dealer to do this.is.
Input please; and thanks.
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Dreamgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #2

Did you check on the Jensen website to see if your radio is Sirius / XM compatible ?

2010 Ford F-250 XLT (traded)
2013 Keystone Laredo 294RK (traded)
ArcticFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #3

Yessir, I sure Did, and I purchased the tuner they specified for that radio. the tuner has been plugged into the radio, but the dealer laid the antenna on the very front of the dash. With a class C overhang, there is no reception (no signal). I'm asking that the antenna be moved to the roof. Dealer service dept says they "won't do it".
Frustrating!!!
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Old 03-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #4

Just installed SiriusXM in our 2016 DS. Put tuner in and ran the antenna onto the dash against the windshield. Same spot the GPS to this radio was installed by Jayco. We get good reception, but remember Sirius doesn't have satellites very high above the horizon. I have it in my truck too and don't like the black wire running across the top so I opted to put on the dash. Remember the overhang is fiberglass and shouldn't be much interference if at all. I just moved the antenna around on the dash until I had good reception.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #5

Thanks Caroga. Some comforting thought in your reply. here's hoping my experience will be the same.
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Old 03-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #6

Well, picked up MH today after the tuner installation. SiriusXM reception is good unless I'm driving north. Well now toy with slight movement of the antenna on the dash to see what happens.
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Old 03-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #7

That's the down side to Sirius, all of their satellites are low on the southern horizon. Keep heading south!!!
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #8

Thanks caroga.. Is XM on the same satellite(s)?
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Old 03-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #9

On my Greyhawk the overhang also interfered with XM signal when going in a northward direction. Another post on this forum suggested taking the basic magnetic antenna mount (19 bucks) and hiding it up and above but inside of the MH. None of that fiberglass interferes with the signal up there. Route and hide the wires as you route it into an appropriate area behind the television. The signal now is excellent no matter which direction you are traveling. I tested it first before doing this minor installation and it should work for you as it does for me.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #10

Thanks Oky, sounds like a plan. I'll give it a try.
I thank all of you for the input.
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Old 07-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #11

Access to back of Jensen Radio 2016 Greyhawk, XM Tuner install

How do I get access to the back of the Jensen radio? Does the radio have to be removed, if so how is it removed.
temalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamgolfer View Post
I'm really excited about most things in my 2016 Greyhawk, except that I am trying to get the dealer to nstall the "tuner" to make my radio fully functional.
I'm being told that Jayco does not make provisions to do the installation, leaving me with a Very high 5 figure MH, and no satellite radio.
Has anyone found a solution to the issue. I just can't believe I'm the first one to ask my dealer to do this.is.
Input please; and thanks.
Our 2017 Melbourne 24L came with a Pioneer AVH-X2800BS that was SiriusXM Ready. We took our motorhome to Audio Express and had them install the SiriusXM SXV300 Vehicle Tuner so the we could get satellite radio. Additionally, we purchased an external antenna that we had mounted on the driver's side, side view mirror.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #13

What I did to get my antenna on the roof of the company vehicle was use rubber roof caulking on the bottom of a tin can lid.. squished it down on the roof and the magnet from the antenna would hold to that.. It stayed there for over 5 years (till I retired) with no problem.. the only problem you might have is running the antenna wire
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:04 AM   #14

temalin, to answer your question, yes the radio has to be removed. On my 2016 Greyhawk, we had to pull the entire dash assembly allowing us to reach the nuts holding the radio in place.
If you have found and purchased the tuner kit, the instructions make it very simple to plug the tuner into the radio.
As others have commented, the challenge is running the antenna wire to a position as high as possible. What I did was run the wire up my driver door molding and placed a magnetic plate in the front-center of my ceiling (inside). It works well, although the wire is a little unsightly.
I, too, found it hard to believe that Jayco puts those radios in their rigs but allow nothing to support tuner installation.
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Old 05-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #15

How did you get the tuner installed? I am so frustrated. Have pulled the engine cowling off to try and find a wire to connect to but no luck. Part of the dash under the steering wheel popped off and I see lots of wires but nothing with the correct connection for the tuner HELP! I will be traveling soon through remote areas of Nevada and Utah and know I will not have radio signal and would like to get Sirius/XM satellite service working in my 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV. Anyone have instructions for how to connect the tuner to the Jenson JRV9000 ???
crazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #16

Thanks so much. I have called Audio Express that is closest to me and will take my 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV to them to see if they can do it. They said over the phone they need to look at it before they can definitely agree to do it. They charge $85/hr and estimate it could be as simple as 1/2 hr install or could be max of $170. total cost. I'll just be glad to have it done so I can enjoy my trip in June.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #17

Save your money!
The dash fascia just pops right off. That's the trim that goes all around the radio, ventilation controls, etc. In order to gain enough access space to pull out the radio, you'll have to disconnect the cables from the back of the fascia. Then 4 screws to remove the radio. Once it's out, there is a port on the back corner to plug in the Sirius/XM!
Reverse the order, run the antenna and you're in business!
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
The dash fascia just pops right off. That's the trim that goes all around the radio, ventilation controls, etc. In order to gain enough access space to pull out the radio,
There's possibly an easier way. If it's a Ford chassis (like mine), I just popped off the doghouse engine cover and was able to reach up to the back of the radio and plug in the Sirius module.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamgolfer View Post
Well, picked up MH today after the tuner installation. SiriusXM reception is good unless I'm driving north. Well now toy with slight movement of the antenna on the dash to see what happens.
I have the same problem with the cabover blocking the signal when driving North with the antenna on the dashboard. Someone mentioned that they snaked the antenna out their door, through the fender well, and they stick the magnetic antenna on the front edge of the hood, and the claimed they were able to get good reception. That's on my "To-Do" list to try, before mounting an antenna on the roof.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #20

Are you saying the whole black piece surrounding radio and vent and controls needs to be popped off? Here's photo of the area I am thinking you are talking about:
Attached Thumbnails
rv-dash.jpg