Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to jloving
Inverter

I have realized that my inverter in my Greyhawk only powers the main TV. I thought it would give me more outlets but none are powered. I guess you can upgrade.. Seems like a lot of $ to only power the TV.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #2

I was dissapointed in the inverter also(400 watts is not much power). One was already installed in the one we got. If I had ordered the MH built, probably would not have gotten the inverter. Now that we have the inverter, I doubt we will ever use it.

There is, however, a place to charge up things like walkie talkies if you don't have a 12 volt power cord for them.
Jay Flight 26BH - traded for Greyhawk
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #3

Wish someone would explain the inverter operations in simple terms. Got a switch for the inverter in the control box but have yet understood when and why it should be turned on (or off). If on shore power is it needed? If on genset power is it needed? Guess only time it's needed is if dry camping or even then. Manual doesn't really help explain.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #4

The only time it is needed is if "dry" camping, i.e. not connected to shore power nor using the generator. I use it to charge phones, etc. while underway, and also when camped at national parks without hook-ups to power my CPAP. In fact, I installed an outlet in the side of the bed connected directly to the inverter for the CPAP. We also will plug a crock pot into an outlet powered by the invertor for cooking while traveling (maybe using an extension cord); typically, food is ready when we park for the night. Just make sure whatever you plug into an inverter outlet uses less than the 400 watts.
Flytyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Copeland View Post
Wish someone would explain the inverter operations in simple terms. Got a switch for the inverter in the control box but have yet understood when and why it should be turned on (or off). If on shore power is it needed? If on genset power is it needed? Guess only time it's needed is if dry camping or even then. Manual doesn't really help explain.
Do not ever try to use the inverter when on shore power.. it is only for when you are boondocking or wal marting. (mine has an auto transfer switch but then I have a $10,000.00 system)
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #6

thanks
I can't remember turning it on at anytime so far.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #7

I too use a CPAP and am a new owner of a 2007 Greyhawk 31SS. If I understand correctly, only the TV outlet is powered when the inverter is on? Is this correct? I wanted to use the plug next to the bed on the driver's side to run the CPAP. Are you saying that won't work? If so, I'll have to have my RV shop rewire the plug to work with the inverter (which I think is under the bed but I haven't found it yet. Thanks, Larry
Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

We use the inverter to power the tv and the Direct tv box while on the road, if we do not want to use the gen-set. Had to run an extension cord from the tv outlet box to the dtv box, which is in the kitchen area. 400 watts is enough to power both.

You could try an extension cord for the CPAP until you get permanent wiring in place.
Jay Flight 26BH - traded for Greyhawk
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #9

Dumb question time, but what is CRAP that is mentioned here?
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #10

Not CRAP -> CPAP, Constant Pressure Air Passage. If you have sleep Apnea it is the machine you use at night to control breathing and stop snoring. I have used one every night for the last 27 years.

Jeff and Deidra
2015 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Cyclone 3110 Toyhauler
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jeffdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:58 AM   #11
Site Team

Running CPAP on TT's 12VDC Power not 120VAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoyle View Post
I too use a CPAP and am a new owner of a 2007 Greyhawk 31SS. If I understand correctly, only the TV outlet is powered when the inverter is on? Is this correct? I wanted to use the plug next to the bed on the driver's side to run the CPAP. , Larry
You may be able to eliminate the 120VAC needed to operate your CPAP machine and run it off your RV's batteries. Take a look at the transformer on the CPAP machine. If it produces 12VDC you can make a 12VDC adapter or have a person that knows 12VDC wiring make one for you. You can install a 12VDC receptacle by your bed. This way you are eliminating the current needed to run the inverter to produce the 120VAC voltage you need for the CPAC. This will produce less drain on the battery, when no shore power is available.

My Philips Respironics RemStar Auto A-Flex CPAP machine requires 12VDC to operate. It uses .03amps in stand by mode and .5amps running with the unit's water heater on. I have a 2amp inline fuse to protect the unit.

If you want more information, let me know...
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #12

I just got a CPAP. I bought a 12V power cord to replace the 110V cord when I dry camp. I will install a 12V receptacle in the bedroom when it warms up a bit. I have an inverter, but it is more efficient to run the CPAP directly off the batteries. I will use an inline fuse to protect the CPAP and the batteries.
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
In simple terms the inverters change 12 VDC (Direct Current - from batteries) into 120 VAC (Alternating current - household power). This allows you to run small household appliances and devices in your RV while the generator isn't running such as when you are driving or parked for the night. The intent of these units is to allow you to watch TV without starting the generator. Jayco has been putting a 1000 watt Xantrex inverter into their motorhomes for a while but they "de-rate" them to about 400 watts due to the size of the wiring that they use. The Xantrex system that they use has an internal transfer switch that automatically switches the outlet connected to the inverter from inverter power to shore or generator power as soon as either of them is present. You don't need to do anything it is completely automatic. The inverter control panel allows you to see what power is being used i.e. if it is amber you are using inverter power if it is green you are using shore or generator power. I hope this helps in understanding the concept.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoyle View Post
I too use a CPAP and am a new owner of a 2007 Greyhawk 31SS. If I understand correctly, only the TV outlet is powered when the inverter is on? Is this correct? I wanted to use the plug next to the bed on the driver's side to run the CPAP. Are you saying that won't work? If so, I'll have to have my RV shop rewire the plug to work with the inverter (which I think is under the bed but I haven't found it yet. Thanks, Larry
This is very simple to do. You locate the inverter which in my coach is under the bed. Next locate the circuit that powers the outlet that you wish to have powered up and connect the additional outlet to the inverter's output side. If you are not very familiar with electrical wiring I strongly suggest you have a dealer or electrician handle this because mistakes can be fatal. There is 120VAC present at the inverter terminals even when the shore power is disconnected.
New setup:
Old 04-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #15

Quote:
thanks
I can't remember turning it on at anytime so far.
The default is on. You would have to manually turn it off and if you turn off the batteries it will come back on again.
New setup:
Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
I was dissapointed in the inverter also(400 watts is not much power). One was already installed in the one we got. If I had ordered the MH built, probably would not have gotten the inverter. Now that we have the inverter, I doubt we will ever use it.

There is, however, a place to charge up things like walkie talkies if you don't have a 12 volt power cord for them.
If you are using the TV without shore power you are in fact using the inverter. It has an automatic switch to power the TV when there is no shore power.
New setup:
Old 05-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #17

I have a Greyhawk 31FK with a Xantrex Pro XM1000, and yes, the inverter only powers the outlet behind the TV. It supplies power from the coach battery so you don't need to use it while on shore power or when running the genset. To my mind the inverter on my RV is pretty useless because it only powers one outlet and the battery that Jayco provides is not really enough to be of much use unless you are plugged in every night to partially charge the battery. Of course in that case you do not need an inverter. In my RV the inverter is indeed under the bed and an additional outlet next to the bed for a CPAP machine would be easy to install.
BobK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #18

Inverters use battery power to make 110 ac. The conversion effeciency is not the best on the average inverter and you need at least a 2 battery if you plan on using an inverter for an extended time. Remember to recharge your batteries each morning. I tend to use an inverter when we overnight on a roadtrip to power up the tv. The battery gets recharged the next day while we drive and is ready for another overnight at the end of the day. Don't plan on powering an appliance like a crock pot [that one is hard to believe] while you are dry camping and expect your batteries to last very long. Typically you should avoid using the inverter to power anything that generates heat. thats one of the reason that LEDs use so much less power. Regular light bulbs generate a lot of heat. Touch one if you don't believe me. Running a couple conventional lights will draw down a battery pretty fast.

Inverters are not intended to replace a gen or shore power but rather to offer a temporary power source for short term things like tvs and sat receivers.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote